Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Vallick
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:26 pm   

Windows 11, Mapper Non Function, Arctic Mud

Im getting frustrated to no end with windows 11 in general, so I no way blame CMUD or ZUggsoft for this, also Arctic has always been a little touchy when it comes to the mapper. Somewhere there used to be a config edit that helped. No Idea.

Anyone having issues with windows 11 and the mapper neither mapping, nor moving on a already created map?
FIxes?

Anyone specifically familiar with mud.arctic.org? (long shot).

Appreciate any help that can be offered. Can also hit me up on discord as vallick#0499

Also Tried compatibility mode, as well as Running as Admin
on the Reconfig screen, seems to be having a issue grabbing the room exits.

When going to map properties, all the rooms have the room numbers their tied to, but no exit dirs. SHouldn't be related to even creating a whole new map fresh (which I would rather not do)

Typical room:

The Inn of the Last Home
The Inn of the Last Home is a cozy tavern. The smells of rich food and
the sounds of merry music overflow your senses. A huge fireplace dominates
one wall and a warm glow emanates from its flames. Small tables fill the
room. A stairway leads up, further into the tree, while another stairway
leads down to the forest below.
A red-haired young lady is wiping down a table here.
A small child plays with some colorful objects.
Otik watches you calmly, while he skillfully mixes a drink.

632H 132V 13141736X 58.65% 0C Exits:SWUD>
Vallick
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:50 am   After Export

Exported config setting from windows 7 pc (mapper workss perfect) to windows 11.
Got all triggers and maps to load.
No errors
Map location indicator will not move with character.
with edit mode enable, still would not create new rooms.
Tried Compatibility mode all the way back to XP Sp 3 (not using compt. mode in win 7 machine)
Followed transfer instructions on previous windows 11 post.
Disabled the previously mentioned optimization settings.
Zoomed at 100%, up to 300%, zoomed out to 50%
Map just seems to not be talking with Prompt on win 11 machine. For the time being using windows 7 machine but completely frustrated
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:18 pm   

Looks like you are going to need to #TAG the exits for this game.

And since they appear in your prompt, you need to make sure your trigger fires on the prompt as opposed to a new line.

I have not yet upgraded to Windows 11, so I can't speak on the issues with the new OS yet.

Try reconfiguring the mapper from the Config menu on the map's menu bar.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:23 am   Windows 11 Mapper Issue Resolved

SO after days of troubleshooting, confirming I had the old prompt tagged and Triggers in there from the import, I did a uninstall/reinstall for the 3rd or 4th time. FInally gave up on trying to install it on my storage drive, and instead installed in my C: SSD drive with limited space. I have a feeling the reason this resolved this was some how related to the import config files referencing C: in the old pc, but that's the only reason I can think this would have made a difference. ALso, this allowed the map to be read without any Trigger imports or tags.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

PS: Avoid windows 11....
Vallick
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:26 am   Windows 11 Mapper Issue reoccurance, corruption?

After hours of play on my weekend, minamal new rooms created, received a write error and now mapper will no longer track, read prompt, issues loading the map all over all. Square 1. Guesses are is it's all resolved arround windows 11 giving app permissions due to never seeing this issue in the past, and reoccures after fresh install.
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:15 pm   

Another way may have been to just install a virtual machine and run it in an older version: XP or Win7.

Alas! for the world, avoiding win11 may not be an option in 3-4 years. Unless (hoping against all hope) that the gaming guys pull their fingers out and realise windows is sh!te and move development toward more open source, unix-like options
Vallick
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:12 pm   

hpoonis2010 wrote:
Another way may have been to just install a virtual machine and run it in an older version: XP or Win7.

Alas! for the world, avoiding win11 may not be an option in 3-4 years. Unless (hoping against all hope) that the gaming guys pull their fingers out and realise windows is sh!te and move development toward more open source, unix-like options

I love that idea. I'll keep it in mind for this and future solutions beyond cmud.

I played arround enough in settings the solution I came up with was again a fresh install,, reimport old saves,, then I adjusted back ups to be once every hour, for 24 hours. I can live with 1 hours loss data.

(So I just accepted corruption is going to happen).

So far, so good. Playing on my old windows 7 box it eventually corrupted the configuration or map file or something... may be related to the size of my map? So far over 11,000 rooms and no intention of shrinking it if I can avoid it.
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:33 pm   

For myself, I have never managed to get full room mapping working with cmud. I can get name and exits but no description. Fortunately, aardwolf supplies a room vnum via gmcp and this proivides a unique location every time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: