Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
dacheeba
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:40 am   

POLL: Zuggsoft Chat

Sent a meesage to Zugg suggesting a chat room be put on the site for registered users.
His gave me the go ahead to get some feedback on this, so now is the time to decide. Please post weather you are for or against having chat rooms and Why.

I fely the need arise as I have tons of questions that I would rather have answered in real time rather than lurk the forums for a couple of days. It would be much easier to go one-on-one with an individual and would have faster results.Zuggs main concern was that it wouldnt be worth the trouble of making/maintaining a chat room if it wouldnt be populated.That and what good is having a chatroom that you try to get help from when noone is logged on.Well, I figure that if there are 35,000 registered users, there oughtto be at least a couple of ppl logged on all the time.Heck, I see chatrooms with the stupidest topics be populated non-stop, I dont see why it wouldnt be the same here.Well, if you have feedback, please post.
Thanks for your time
dacheeba
quote:
Unfortunately that would require people to chat. I certainly don't have the
time to do real-time chat support myself since I'm usually busy programming.
The Gurus on the forum that help people are volunteers. While you can go
ahead and ask if anyone is interested in this, my guess is that they don't
have the time to do real-time chat either. But if it's something the Gurus
are interested in and there is an easy chat script somewhere, then we might
be able to install it. I'm just worried that if we had something like that,
there would never be anyone logged in to help you. And that sounds more
frustrating than the forums.

Zugg

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Feedback made at the website

Hey, just wanted to suggest you guys add a chat room to the site.Sometimes
I come here looking to get intentsive
script help, and its hard to do on a forum. I would be MUCH better to be
able to go one-on-one with someone in a chat room, when seeking script
help.I know this sounds typically AOLish(trsut me, dont use it)but I
operate in a more real-time minset, and those forums are just WAY too slow
for me :P.Maybe you should have a poll on the Forums or something, to see
how much interest you can rouse.Im sure plenty of the ppl would like to
see it.You could make it limited access, so that only ppl with accounts
could log on,and make regular end-user agreements(no advertising/no
cursing/no offensive material). I dunno,like I said, playing on muds all
the time just makes my brain work to fast for the forums to be much help.
Thanks for your time.

MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 8:25 am   

well, if we can't get one here, we could create some on AIM, mIRC, etc.

Since it's not even up to version 1.0 yet, I'm not going to say to get rid of your other chats, but there is a program which combines a lot of major chat utilities into one complete package replete with their specific features.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 11:29 am   

I don't have time for Chat I'm afraid.. Posts in the Forums are clearly (well ususally) defined questions which one can answer at leisure, or not, as time demands. Chat is usually a mega-scroll in which it is difficult to pick out the questions from the general chit-chat over muds and such, which is what it will probably degenerate to. (I never could get the hang of IRC)

If you want to go one on one then I suggest you get a few ICQ #s of the people here or something.. Or use Intermud, not that many muds seem to have that *g*

Lady C.
Zor
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 2:06 pm   

I wouldn't have the spare time to chat - between my wife, daughter, house, job, and pets I barely have time to even lurk here anymore.

I'm not even sure that I could claim to even play muds anymore - I basically just idle all day while I'm at work. I'm not sure if that is technically playing.

Zor
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:44 pm   

quote:

I don't have time for Chat I'm afraid.. Posts in the Forums are clearly (well ususally) defined questions which one can answer at leisure, or not, as time demands. Chat is usually a mega-scroll in which it is difficult to pick out the questions from the general chit-chat over muds and such, which is what it will probably degenerate to. (I never could get the hang of IRC)

If you want to go one on one then I suggest you get a few ICQ #s of the people here or something.. Or use Intermud, not that many muds seem to have that *g*

Lady C.

This is why I suggested an AIM or mIRC-type of chat. Offsite, it's probably not an OFFICIAL chat, and thus gurus can go there or not, depending on preference. There's more than enough non-guru folk who know their way around zmud, and thus we'd have a larger pool of guru-type players to answer questions and such or direct them here to the boards. Since we aren't Gurus, we aren't exactly tied to anything and we can even help them plow through problems our advice might bring.

EDIT: by the way, in an AIM chat, at least, you can instant message a specific chatter to get on-the-spot one-on-one help without the distractions of the rest of the chatroom.
li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:13 am   

Of the time I've got to put into zMUD support issues, I'm afraid I wouldn't put any into chat-based questions.

The forums allow people to help others who aren't necessarily on at the same time. They also allow the answers and conversations to be searched by others. Neither of these very helpful provisions is possible in live chat.

zMUD 6 Online Help: All the power you'll ever need.
fulgurate
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 4:10 am   

I'd have to agree with most of the previous posts. I don't have time to chat. If I have that kind of time, I'd rather spend it on a mud. A posting allows me to think about the question and maybe try a couple of experiments. There is also a searchable record that I can browse weeks later.

It's not instant help, but it appears that responses to questions are fairly quick here. If you post something to a Usenet group, you have to figure at least 3 days before you get some reasonable responses.

fulgurate (W2KPro, 6.25a)
Any code is provided for entertainment purposes only.

"Of making many books there is no end,
and much study is a weariness of the flesh." - Eccl. 12:12b
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 7:46 am   

I highly doubt that I will have any spare time for chatting in the near future.

Between work, college, girlfriend and general real life issues, my mud playing time has been reduced to roughly a couple of hours a week. And that is mostly just random chit chat with my buddies

Perhaps after I graduate (in August!), that will change.

Carabas
------
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
- Jerome K. Jerome
dacheeba
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:19 pm   

Well, I concede my stand point on this issue. It looks like Zugg hit this one on the noseWell, maybe we could do something like MattLofton suggested, and add ICQ/AIM/MSMessenger Fields in the user info?
Thanks for the feedback Gurus
dacheba *removes self-indulgence aura*
Amfitrion
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 9:47 pm   

Well, believe it or not, but even non gurus can answer questions.

I think it is a great idea that should be implemented, and the easiest way to do it is simpy run IRC server - it is easy and no need to invest too much time.

Much easier way is to create zmud channel on one of the existing IRC servers.

- Amfitrion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: