Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
alluran
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 am   

Default Browser

Can you make it open links in the default browser program instead of IE...
IE == bad, Firefox == good.

Or if too tricky to get working properly, give us an option to set what program to launch mailto, ftp, and http links in?

(Zmud and cmud both do this when using #url too afaik)
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:05 am   

I have both IE and Firefox installed, and using #URL or clicking on the links open up in Firefox. mailto opens up in Thunderbird. Are you sure firefox is your default browser?

Charneus
alluran
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:21 am   

Vista Ultimate 64x, Firefox 2 (latest), Cmud 2.2# (6? i think)

I think there's multiple ways to detect the default, and the default installation of firefox (and even setting all the programs defaults correctly using the Vista UI) doesn't seem to capture properly. Have seen this in a few programs. Outlook throws an error but opens correctly (Therefore it can find it correctly, but is still buggy), MSN ads open in IE (so incorrect use there), yet all web pages and shortcuts on my local drive open fine. I can reproduce it easily (every time i install, you know, every 2nd week ;) will duble check #url now.. and nope, thats still IE.

Perhaps the easiest thing is a setting that attempts to autodetect until you set it. I can (almost?) guarantee that I wouldn't be the only one that has this issue on this particular setup.

Oh, and yes defaults are set proper
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm   

Both CMUD and zMUD are looking for what program is set in Windows to be assigned to the ".htm" extension. Sounds like your Firefox didn't get installed properly or something. I have Vista here and Firefox and links open in Firefox just fine. You might do a Google search on how to set your default web browser to get instructions on how to do it because it sounds like something is messed up in your Windows Registry that is preventing Firefox from setting itself as the default.

But I've always just used the default installer for Firefox and never had trouble, even on Vista, so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Unfortunately, there isn't any good way for me to add options for this myself. I am using several 3rd party components and they all rely upon Windows being set up for the default browser correctly. I haven't looked at the detailed code in a while, but I'm pretty sure they look in the registry for the ".htm" extension entry and look at the entry for the "open" command for that file extension.

Also, you say it also happens in zMUD, but I've never gotten any bug reports about this in zMUD either, so I really think the problem is more unique to your computer than you might think.
alluran
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 am   

Happened to me on ASUS G2S + Vista 64 Ultimate + z/cmud, and on ASUS M70SA + Vista 64 Ultimate + cmud (can't remember 100% if it was happening on the ASUS A2K + WinXP Pro + zmud, probably not, I think this is more a Vista compatability issue)

Every time it was just a default install of windows + cmud + firefox for it to act funny. I'll double check all the file extensions now and edit this post... Though if this is the case, it's still going to happen for alot of people, as I haven't done anything for IE to take over file extensions (I hate that software like I hate the plague, being a web dev ;) )

IE currently has:
.gif (again, goddamn I keep fixing that :( )
.mfp
.mht
.mhtml
.url (are you using these?, I'll edit again after I check if firefox opens these)
.vdx
.vsd
.vss
.vst
.vsx
.vtx
.xevgenxml
.xrm-ms
.xsl

So unless it's a gif, propriatary microsoft format, some xml, or the "url" option, it should be opening in firefox :) will check url now

Just changed .url, still opened in IE, .htm and .html both set to firefox, gonna try explicitly setting my browser in "program defaults" instead of telling it to use my "web browser" (which is set to firefox)

Ok, got it, I had to explicitly set firefox as the program by going Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Program Access And Computer Defaults->Custom->Use a default web browser->"Mozilla Firefox" (vs using "Use my current Web Browser")
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:59 am   

Quote:
Ok, got it, I had to explicitly set firefox as the program by going Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Program Access And Computer Defaults->Custom->Use a default web browser->"Mozilla Firefox" (vs using "Use my current Web Browser")

I seem to recall something like that mentioned elsewhere for Firefox. But I'm not sure exactly what circumstances it is required. I just checked my Vista Business system and my default web browser setting is "Use my current Web browser" and it still works fine. So my guess is that there was still something fishy in your registry that you are overriding with this setting.

At least you found a way to get it working. Honestly, with all of the UAC crap and mirrored "compatibility" files and registry entries, I'm not even sure myself anymore how Vista works (or doesn't). It's possible that something just didn't get installed or run "as admin" when it needed to. It seems like I had to originally install Firefox by running the installer "as admin", but it's been too long ago to really remember.

I looked more closely at the code used by the #URL command in CMUD and here is what it is doing exactly.

It looks in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry area for the ".htm" entry. It takes the default value of that key, then appends "\shell\open\command" to it and fetches that registry key. It then executes this key (assuming it's a *.EXE file) with the URL passed as the first argument, or with %1 in the key value replaced with the URL

On my system, the default value of the ".htm" key was "FirefoxHTML". And the value of the "FirefoxHTML\shell\open\command" key was "C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE -requestPending -osint -url "%1"". In this case, the %1 would be replaced with the URL.

So, you'd need to actually open REGEDIT and look at the value of your HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm key to see what it is set to. Just looking at what extensions IE is using isn't good enough since who knows what registry entries that is really looking at.

For example, I've had a similar problem in Vista where I try to assign ZIP files to open in ZipGenius instead of WinZip. And even though ZipGenius "thinks" that the ZIP extension was assigned to it, no amount of telling it to assign the extension would fix it. I finally had to go into RegEdit manually myself and change the ".zip" entry to point at ZipGenius instead of WinZip. My guess is that there was some sort of permission problem. In Vista, each and every registry key has access permissions. And if these get screwed up, then Vista will just refuse to update a registry key that it thinks you don't have permission for (and often won't give you any message or indication of the failure). When you right-click on a key in the tree on the left side of RegExit, there is a Permissions menu entry that can be used to look for this problem. You'll notice that regular Users only have "Read" access to the keys. So unless Firefox is running "As Admin" or tries to elevate itself, it is not able to modify the ".htm" key itself.
alluran
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 am   

Step 1 before I install anything on Vista is disabling UAC, and I always run as admin, so I don't think it's a permissions issue. Wasn't really saying this was a bug with cmud so much as a problem which cmud had the potential to fix. Either way, there's a solution on the forums now if anyone else runs into the problem, and I've filed a bug report with mozilla.

Thanks for the prompt replies Zugg :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:58 pm   

Anyone got clicked urls to open in zmud in windows 10? I get the appropriate mouse-over icon change, but chrome won't fire.
Fallen.Anvil
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 am   

I do. I use Chrome for my regular web browsing but it's not the default. Firefox is my default and the MU* links open in there for me.
Alsith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:17 am   

If anyones got it to work with chrome I'd love to know.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:45 pm   

I just tried disabling Internet Explorer 11, and now the links don't do anything when clicked upon.
Chrome is set as default for all the things it can be set for.
Might be able to COM into it somehow, but there seems to be no native way to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:22 pm   

Has anyone had any luck fixing this? It's driving me crazy, and is nearly the -last- bug I'm trying to fix. :(
elokk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:13 am   HALP!!

Nope :D

I haven't been able to solve it. I have Windows 10 and .htm, .html, web browser, etc all set to Chrome but everything opens in IE.

Zugg, if you're alive, fix eeetttt!!
Tyarra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:08 pm   

I've been having similar issues myself. My preferred/default browser is Chrome, and is set as such in the Control Panel for app defaults -- though, from something I noticed when trying to find something in the "store" (Windows 10 does something weird that way), it might only be looking for the '.html' extension, and '.htm' falls into the cracks of "windows default'. Clicking on a link in CMUD would launch the page in Edge ... I think. That had been the browser I changed my default FROM.

So, on a whim, I changed my default browser in the Control Panel, to FireFox, and tried clicking a link, and it opened in Chrome. Well, we were getting somewhere. So, I changed the default back to Chrome, and clicking on links within CMUD would then open in FireFox. Okay. I could live with that.

Then, completely unrelated, I had a system meltdown, and basically had to rebuild my computer. And, I tried the same trick when reinstalling my stuff. No such luck. While it started off using Edge to open links, changing my default to FireFox from Chrome didn't start opening links in Chrome, but used IE. :/ And changing back to Chrome hasn't changed that it wants to use IE for clicked links. I see mention that a solution is in the forums (from 10 years ago), but no reference as to where that solution can be found. Can someone point me to it?

Thanks!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 pm   

I never did mind a solution to this issue.
If you happen to discover it, please post it up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 pm   

Well, after completely rereading this topic, I'm guessing that the bit that Zugg gave about messing with the registry is the solution.

And, after looking at the registry keys, I hate MicroSoft more than ever - even if you're changing things in the Control Panel (which is only good for your personal settings), it defaults in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to "value not set" - which apparently lets it use its preferred default of IE. (Though, initially. it was using Edge, which horrifies me even more than IE does.)

So, yes, you need to actually make the change in the registry, because it needs to be in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -- the user registry location is not sufficient.
keeperofkeys
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm   

OK So after some playing around, I found Zugg was heading in the right direction with this... but to fix this on windows 10 I changed the following:

Code:

- For your existing account on the machine (Will Affect Your Existing Profile that's logged in) -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm
(Default) = ChromeHTML

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids
(Default) = ChromeHTML

--------------------------------
- For new accounts made on the machine (Will Affect new user accounts created) -

HKEY_ROOT\.htm
(Default) = ChromeHTML

HKEY_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList
(Default) = ChromeHTML

HKEY_ROOT\.htm\PersistantHandler
(Default) = ChromeHTML

I also changed .html to these as well to make sure

Cheers
Adam - TheMud.org

Last edited by keeperofkeys on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
keeperofkeys
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 pm   

on another note on windows 8 and 10 Cmud should really be looking here for the system default browser:

Code:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\URLAssociations\http
&
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\URLAssociations\https
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:30 pm   

Sweet, this does in fact work.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:01 am   

shalimar wrote:
Sweet, this does in fact work.

Glad to hear Cool
keeperofkeys
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:17 pm   

Just an Update here as i personally have changed to firefox:
Code:

(Default) = FirefoxURL-<ID>

(Default) = FirefoxURL-<ID>

to get the <ID> look here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\

Select The Browser of your Choosing in this case Firefox-<SOME RANDOM ID>
Select Folder Capabilities then folder URLAssociations

Copy the Value from http and use that to populate the value for the following:

Using this method you can use any browser and get the values yourself as they differ from browser to browser

----
Windows 10 Pro
CMUD PRO V3.34
Tested with Edge, IE, Chrome and Firefox Quantum

Last edited by keeperofkeys on Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Synthasia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 am   

keeperofkeys wrote:
OK So after some playing around, I found Zugg was heading in the right direction with this... but to fix this on windows 10 I changed the following:

Cheers
Adam - TheMud.org

Awesome, you rock
keeperofkeys
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:44 am   

Hi Everyone!

Reinstalled windows the other-day and decided to make this little batch script to make it easier for you all to switch CMUDs between firefox and chrome. Its all automated just select 1. for firefox or 2. for chrome and it will take care of the rest Cool

Download: https://www.themud.org/ZuggSoft/cmud-browser-selection.bat
MD5Sum: ca21aabab194d8c356288fb1caf4b6ba

Kind Regards,
Adam - TheMud.ORG Smile

Contents of: cmud-browser-selection.bat [Copy and Paste dose not seem to work, I recommend just downloading the script]
Code:

@ECHO off
SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
ECHO OFF
CLS
:MENU
ECHO.
ECHO ..............................................
ECHO             CMUD - Default Browser
ECHO                 www.themud.org
ECHO ..............................................
ECHO.
ECHO 1 - Firefox
ECHO 2 - Google Chrome
ECHO 3 - Opera (Stable)
ECHO 4 - Brave
ECHO 5 - Microsoft Edge
ECHO 6 - Internet Explorer (Yuck!)
ECHO X - EXIT
ECHO.
SET /P M=Type 1, 2 or X then press ENTER:
IF %M%==1 GOTO FIREFOX
IF %M%==2 GOTO CHROME
IF %M%==3 GOTO OPERA
IF %M%==4 GOTO BRAVE
IF %M%==5 GOTO MSEDGE
IF %M%==6 GOTO MSIE
IF %M%==x GOTO EOF
IF %M%==X GOTO EOF

:FIREFOX
ECHO.
ECHO ---- Firefox Selected ----
ECHO Searching for Firefox Registry Entry...
ECHO.
SET count=1
FOR /F "tokens=* " %%F IN ('REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\ /f "FireFox" /k') DO (
  SET var!count!=%%F
  SET /a count=!count!+1
)
FOR /F "tokens=2* delims=    " %%A IN ('REG QUERY %var1%\Capabilities\FileAssociations\ /v .htm') DO SET FirefoxHTML=%%B
ECHO FirefoxHTML: %FirefoxHTML%
ECHO.

REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm" /ve /d "%FirefoxHTML%" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "%FirefoxHTML%" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html" /ve /d "%FirefoxHTML%" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "%FirefoxHTML%" /f
ECHO.
ECHO Tasks Completed!
ENDLOCAL
GOTO EOF

:CHROME
ECHO.
ECHO ---- Google Chrome Selected ----
ECHO.
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm" /ve /d "ChromeHTML" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "ChromeHTML" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html" /ve /d "ChromeHTML" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "ChromeHTML" /f
ECHO.
ECHO Tasks Completed!
ENDLOCAL
GOTO EOF

:OPERA
ECHO.
ECHO ---- Opera (Stable) Selected ----
ECHO.
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm" /ve /d "OperaStable" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "OperaStable" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html" /ve /d "OperaStable" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "OperaStable" /f
ECHO.
ECHO Tasks Completed!
ENDLOCAL
GOTO EOF

:BRAVE
ECHO.
ECHO ---- Brave Selected ----
ECHO.
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm" /ve /d "BraveHTML" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "BraveHTML" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html" /ve /d "BraveHTML" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "BraveHTML" /f
ECHO.
ECHO Tasks Completed!
ENDLOCAL
GOTO EOF

:MSEDGE
ECHO.
ECHO ---- Microsft Edge Selected ----
ECHO.
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm" /ve /d "MSEdgeHTM" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "MSEdgeHTM" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html" /ve /d "MSEdgeHTM" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "MSEdgeHTM" /f
ECHO.
ECHO Tasks Completed!
ENDLOCAL
GOTO EOF

:MSIE
ECHO.
ECHO ---- Microsft Internet Explorer Selected (*VOMITS*) ----
ECHO.
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm" /ve /d "IE.AssocFile.HTM" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "IE.AssocFile.HTM" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html" /ve /d "IE.AssocFile.HTM" /f
REG Add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgids" /ve /d "IE.AssocFile.HTM" /f
ECHO.
ECHO Tasks Completed!
ENDLOCAL
GOTO EOF

:EOF
ECHO.
PAUSE
keeperofkeys
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:48 am   

Updated the script above ^^

Will prob update it again for Windows 11 at some point - as they have changed how the default browser in windows is set... looks like they have gone back to the old windows 7 method...
JohnWick128

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:18 pm   

If anyone got it to work with chrome, I'd love to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: