Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Nicodareus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:54 am   

CMud for android

I've brought this up before and at the time Zugg said there was no market for it. And at that time he was probably right, but technology advances evermore. We now have phones with big screens, tablets, chromebooks, etc.. You can get a bluetooth keyboard from any walmart for $10-$20..
I've been using Blowtorch for my mobile devices for quite some time now and it works but it's no CMud.. Searching the internet I have found many, MANY requests for an MXP capable client. Or even a good client with regular updates and zome form of tech support. If Zugg would be willing at this point to look into it there is money to be made in the android market. If not, I would like some help and guidance in making my own client for android with MXP support and will release it for free with ads (minimal ads) and an in-app purchase to remove ads. Possibly even only have ads if you want to use MXP/MSP etc.. Ive undertaken various coding projects in the past on windows with C, C#, run LPC muds, programmed in basic and Qbasic.
So I have a good feel for coding, I just need some pointers on where to start for building an android client on an android phone. Although I will be getting a windows laptop again in the next couple of months. I have a pretty badass phone so I should be able to run any apps and compilers. I can and have been and will be googling some of this for myself but would like some suggestions and pointers from other users who might have more knowledge on the matter than me. If you've read all this, thank you for your time and thanks in advance for any replies.
-Nicodareus- the black dragon
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:03 pm   

Oh, the market is there, but CMUD is coded in PERL and uses a number of third-party paid for coded bits.
There is no simple port over, it would have to be rebuilt from scratch.
Zugg himself has since moved on and now works for Drupal, as CMUD wasn't enough to pay his bills.
CMUD might just work natively on a windows phone, I'm not sure if any of our users have had one to try.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 pm   

it might be possible but it would be a ton of work and rewrite. If he was interested in making it more open source.. (usage with free 3rd party libraries) and letting the community help out it could possibly be done. Either that or a spinoff of the client with cmud/zmud like features, except written by the community. I dunno just an idea
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 pm   

I agree with you, it would be great.
I am partial to IoS myself though.
As a workaround, if you have a system you can leave on at home with a stable connection, remote access gives you, well, full access to all of CMUDs features.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: