Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Keltec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:32 am   

Cross checking multiple variables

Is there a better way to cross check multiple variables to 1 name, than using an IF statement for each variable to check?

Say I have 30 variables, all with 1 name in each or empty(nothing else). Then I want to see if a captured %1 name matches any of those. Is there a better method to do that, than writing out 30 IF statements? The names for the variables change with any new group.

Say something like this instead

#IF (%1="var1, var2, var3, var4......") {} {}

Instead of 30 IF statements. Then if there is a way, is there a surefire method to determine which variable matches the %1. So I can then use the var instead of %1? For at the end I would need to know which variable matched the %1, to further my script.

Thanks.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:14 am   

I am not sure what you are keeping in those variables, but you should be able to keep them all in a single record variable. See the commands #ADDKEY #DELKEY and the function %db.

Alternately you can keep you current variables and maintain a list of the variables in another variable. See the commands #ADDITEM #DELITEM #FORALL and the functions %ismember %additem %delitem %item
%ismember is likely the closest match to what you asked for with the least additional work.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:55 pm   

If this were CMUD I would suggest a #SWITCH.
For zMUD i was thinking along what Vij said.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:25 am   

The simplest way to do what you want, as far as matching goes, is #IF (%ismember(%1,@var1|@var2|@var3|@var4)) {do some nonsense} {do some other nonsense}. I use this to block certain things from going to my chat window so I know it works. The only way to find out what it matched, would be to save your %1 in another variable before the if statement, so it would end up looking more like:

Code:
var0=%1;#IF (%ismember(@var0, @var1|@var2|@var3|@var4));#show @var0

That will show you what var0 got set to which should tell you what it matched. I don't know of anyway to tell you what var specifically was matched though. If we knew more about what you were trying to do, we could help you more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: