Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 am   

CMud crashes

I am trying to install CMud on a new computer and I'm running into a lot of old problems that I don't know/remember how to fix.

Fresh install, Windows 10 64-bit. Installed to my games\

CMud crashes when I try to do several things. No packages or anything loaded, plain CMud, no triggers, etc. Literally out of the box install.

If I make a window it works fine, if I try to re-position that window it crashes CMud. I can make as many windows as I want but it still just crashes CMud. If I make the windows, close CMud, they'll be there when I get back, so the layout is saving, I just can't move the windows.

The same happens when I try to edit the map. If I edit it, it works, but as soon as I try to close the editor it crashes CMud. The layout saves the map too.

Any ideas/suggestions? I had this happen to both my other laptops that are windows 8 and 10, but somehow I managed to get them ~MOSTLY~ working. Sometimes they'll crash, sometimes they won't, seems to be intermittent. This computer however fails 100% of the time.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 pm   

I have noticed that windows are doing that as well, and I'm not entirely sure why.
The trick, as it were, is to just avoid opening said windows, or if they must open, leave them open as long as possible and get the most out of the moment.
Just try not to exit CMUD with said window open, or it will try to save to the layout open, and then you have to delete the layout file and resort docking to fix it.
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:28 pm   

Yeah I was hoping to avoid doing that lol. I know there's a way to fix it, I did it before, but I just can't seem to figure out why this time.

I was hoping to go with a 100% fresh install on this new computer, get rid of old broken obsolete triggers and whatnot instead of simply copy/pasting the file directories, but it appears I might have to go that route unless someone has another option
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:32 am   

I have not had this problem with general windows but don't generally use the mapper.

I did not do file transfer back and forth between other machines.

In case it's relevant, my install is a full Win 10 from scratch on a fresh machine- not an upgrade.
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:34 pm   

Okay so I figured out how I got it to work last time. I simply copied over the .xly file from my old version of windows. For whatever reason, copying the directories didn't work, I had to manually copy the .xly AFTER. Shrug, strange.

However, it still crashes if I try editing the map file or moving windows around. At least they're there now.

I've tried everything I can think of to get CMud to work on Windows 10. Compatibility, installing to different folders (Program Files, My Documets, CMud, etc) nothing worked. Fresh install, nothing even created yet... No idea, just unlucky I guess. I wonder if it's because I'm on a 64bit OS and not a 32bit..

Ah well.. Hopefully this is the last computer I ever need to install CMud on.

Also, if anyone has a REAL solution, please don't hesitate to reply!!
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 pm   

My solution was ditch Windows and go with Linux. I run WinXP in VirtualBox to run CMud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: