Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
se7envirtues

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 pm   

Window Numbering

I play on a mush that has a lot of different social channels and have a #cap window for each one. Ctrl+tab and ctrl+n will tab through all of these little windows, but the order is spawned in the order they were created. At the top, clicking on Window (to the right of Layout) will show me the order in which these are listed, but I want to change that order.

Here's what I tried: Closing all windows and opening them in the order I'd like them to be tabbed through in. After that, I saved my session layout (under Layout) and exited the client When I reopened it, however, everything has reset. The other thing I can try to do is begin with a totally fresh layout and build from there, but if there's some easier method then I'd much prefer that route.

If it makes a difference then I am on the most recent version of CMUD and running on Windows 7.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 pm   

Is there a reason you need them in a specific order?
Usually i just check the bring to front with activity options in preferences (each window needs to be done separately) and let it sort itself out.
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:52 pm   

You can create a macro that brings up a #PICK list for your windows. If I recall correctly and undocumented feature of the #WINDOW command is that it will bring a window to the front when no text is provided. Alternately you can use the focus character, default of ':', to shift focus to a specific window. An example of the script might look like:
#PICK {o:1} {p:Select window} {Tells:#WINDOW {:tell}} {Says:#WNIDOW {say}} {JEmote:#WINDOW {Johnny Emotes}}
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:14 am   

%names is a string list of all current windows

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:29 am   

@shalimar - I want them in a specific order, because I have twenty-one separate windows open and sorted into the tabs. My two main sessions, then nineteen other smaller, tabbed windows docked on the right. When dealing with that volume, I like a measure of organization. Attempts with the active window flashing to the front were made, but it became too much of a hassle in the end with things leaping to the front in the middle of reading/typing.

@Vijilante - Thanks, I'll pour over the help files. I found something in them earlier about #WINDOW and a few related commands, but couldn't make heads or tails out of how to do anything with it.

For now, I went ahead and created a new session, spawned my windows in the order I want them scrolled through, and manually ported over all of my triggers, aliases, variables, ect. It's perfect until I need to change something and start over once again from scratch. Thank you again for the suggestion!

One other thing: In the older versions of CMUD the command bar could be resized, undocked, moved around. Is it permanently stationary in the latest? I thought I read something about that somewhere on the forums, but can't recall the exact details at this time. Also, the buttons on the right could be visible or hidden, since I don't really need them displayed over and over twenty-one times.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:41 am   

You can turn off the command line for windows on an individual basis. I think the ability to have a separate floating command line was removed, because it often led to problems and very few people wanted to share the command line with many windows.

21 windows...sounds like you need 3 monitors.
se7envirtues

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 am   

Hmm, I like having them on in case I'm juggling different things. It's a roleplaying mush so I might have a paragraph or more chilling on my command line when I get paged or need to respond to something else. That's where the multiple command lines come in handy. It helps to avoid losing your entire work on a botched copy/paste.

Ahh, that's right. I do recall a lot of bugs with version 2.xx (something). My layout would never save, it would frequently corrupt, and often the client wouldn't save my logs when it closed. To list a few.

So there's no hope of any future updates for this client? I bought Zmud back in 04 and was happy with it for... ages. CMUD is still $30 in the shop and the most current operating system for Windows has long surpassed what it supports. It's a shame, really, I've tried other clients, but they just can't win me over.

Edit: Yeah, it's a lot going on all on one monitor. Part of why I'm so married to CMUD is it's the only client that can handle all of that without making it look like a hot mess on my screen.
Bradley21
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 pm   

Why not create a tab/window to keep all of them in? Or certain ones grouped together? That would make for less windows... I use that method for the channels in my game, then keep the floating box up in the corner so I can see when one comes through. Could use the editor to keep/send stuff when you are holding onto messages or building them.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:54 pm   

You can also hit the down arrow to save a command, then the up arrow to recall it.
se7envirtues

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:38 am   

@Bradley21 - I do have them arranged. My two main sessions for my primary character, the second window is for an alt. That's fitted to an 80 character width. On the right, using the remaining space, is where the tabs are docked and grouped together. What can I say? I like things arranged to an obsessive extreme.

@Daern - Ah, learn a new feature every day! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: