Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mumpsdgen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:47 am   

Help with pattern matching

In the MUD I'm playing (DartMUD), I like to match patterns from the start with the ^ at the beginning because just about all of the output from the MUD that isn't speech is at the beginning of the line. This way I can move the informational patterns to other windows and still get mostly speech in my main window (the mud actually shows speech as "You say in common, 'Hello.'"). My problem comes in that the MUD will toss out a "> " character (note there is a space after > in case it is important) sometimes at the beginning of the line (I don't know why). I cannot figure out how to account for this in my patterns. I've tried %p thinking that "> " might be punctuation, but to no avail.

Basically I want to be able to capture both

^You continue

and

^> You continue

with one trigger rather than having to make another whole set for when this "> " character gets thrown in. What can I use to tell the pattern matcher that the "> " will sometimes be there and sometimes not? I don't want to use * because then speech that might happen contain "You continue" (i.e. "You say in common, 'I am sure I'm right but you continue to defy me.'") will be captured by the pattern as well.

Hope that makes it clear. I'm pretty new to scripting and mostly use the wizard... just so ya know ;)
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:41 pm   

This will match either "> ", or nothing: {> |}
Or in a regular expression pattern: (?:> )?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:54 am   

I usually make the following trigger:

Code:
<trigger priority="1" id="promptBeGone">
  <pattern>^> $</pattern>
  <value>#SUB {}</value>
</trigger>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 am   

That was what I needed Daern. Thank you! Didn't know about the | to symbolize nothing

Tried yours shalimar but I think it was interferring with a command echo window trigger I have. Thank you anyways though :)
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:07 am   

You likely have to force the priority number to be lower to ensure it will fire before anything else.
That was an XML code snippet, btw.
Also, because of the fact you echo commands (i dont) you might have to change the checkmarks from new line to prompt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: