Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Xerakon
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:56 pm   

Window Editting/Beautifying

Good morning my friends,

Attached below is an img of what my current layout looks like. As you can imagine, I'm trying to find a way to make a sleek-looking GUI. I'm stuck, however, on the first aspect - which is windows. Is there any way to remove the title bars from each window, and to perhaps even remove the scroll bar or make it look nicer/sleeker?

Thanks!
X

shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 am   

I notice you are using separate windows to store various status information.
I prefer to use buttons for this, especially on pane 0, as then you can make use of the dead space within an individual window.

The scrollbar can be removed I believe via the #MAKEWINDOW command I believe, read the #HELP file for exact syntax.
Pretty sure you are stuck with the title bars though.

Is that your desktop in the background, with a more or less free floating layout of windows?

CMUD can make for a very powerful GUI layout, if you know what you want.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 am   

Thanks for the response, Shalimar. The background is actually a window with a background image called up by MXP with a few different windows over it. I've enabled like 90% transparency on the new setup and it looks pretty nice.
I had no idea that you can place buttons in pane 0 - that looks good.

Well, I'm not certain how to proceed from here to make this work. The initial idea was to do a transparent background with windows that I could call back and forth as needed. Something like this setup:

shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:49 pm   

I thought i heard something about the transparency affecting speed... I could be wrong.
There is a setting to make it so that child windows will gain focus (come to the front) with activity.
(prefs, user interface, window options)
This allows you to dock more of the minor windows together for the sake of space.
You can make your layout stretch over several monitors if that is an option for you.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 pm   

Ah, very nice. I'll look at the child windows when I get home tonight.

I had considered making the layout stretch, as I use three monitors, but I wanted this to kind of be a package setup that anyone can download and use on their own for our MUD.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:41 am   

Well, unless they have the same exact resolution and monitor size, the exact layout is likely going to need some minor tweaking for them to use.
Not to mention CMUD was not designed with sharing of layouts in mind.
Granted, the scripting packagaes are easy to share via the library, so users will have access to the same base code when designing their own layout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: