Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
bccarlso

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 pm   

CMUD on two comps, variable data erases but contains class name when switching

I have CMUD set up on two computers. I changed the DataDir registry key to point to the same folder on both. Loading the same package on my session. Finally got the layout to stop resetting by doing all this. But I am losing data in my variables in some classes I have made when I switch from one computer to another (making sure to exit CMUD on the previous computer). I re-paste my classes to repopulate the variables each time I do this, but it is getting annoying. The variables are there when I load up the session, but they strangely contain the class name. So if I had a variable "colorhorse" in the class "Coloring" that contained "A draft horse is here.|A dun mare is here, snorting angrily.|A shaggy brown mare stands here." when I switch computers the variable contains the string "Coloring".

My variables look like this: #VAR colorhorse {A black stallion prances about.|A draft horse is here.|A dun mare is here, snorting angrily.} Coloring

I believe that is the way to put a variable inside a class - but is it causing this issue? Perhaps it's as simple as syntax error. Any help is appreciated.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:14 pm   

I would suggest the use of a flash drive.
Reinstall CMUD on both systems so they are saving to the flash drive.
Then just take the flash drive between systems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:43 am   

Yeah, that may be worth a try. The file structure of CMUD confuses me a little bit. Which file houses variables/packages? I would have thought it was the main package file but I don't know.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 am   

Each package is its own .pkg file
Variables are housed in the session package by default.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:22 am   

shalimar wrote:
Variables are housed in the session package by default.

Ok thanks. This is strange though because both are using the same session package. I'll look into it more.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:36 am   

Unless you have a shared network drive that they are both accessing, odds are that they are only using packages that share a name.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:50 pm   

True. New info though, my vars are getting reset upon opening CMUD on the SAME computer even. I just hadn't really done that as I'd leave it up until I left and needed to use the other computer. Hmmmm. Going to try the Flash drive thing the night before I will be on the second computer.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:52 pm   

If you have the Use Default checked for the variables then they will be reset to that default value on each load.
bccarlso

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:15 am   

That could very well be it Viljilante, thank you. Is there a way to turn that off via the code upon copy/pasting in the class? Or only in the Package Editor GUI? (I really should do these in XML, perhaps.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: