Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
fumi
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 am   

Single CMUD, Multiple sessions, Separate network settings?

Is it possible to run multiple sessions inside a single CMUD, each with different network settings?
i.e. Session 1: main connection, Session 2: proxy connection, etc.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:27 am   

Yes. Make each session separately. Launch one offline, then select Open Session from the File menu, launch the second one offline. You may then rearrange windows as desired and can select Save Session As from the File menu to create a combined session with the new layout.
fumi
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 pm   

Thank you for responding Vijilante. Actually my question was not about how to arrange multiple session windows. It was about how to configure separate network settings for multiple sessions (each session with a unique network setting). Do you know if this is even possible? It appears that the network settings are global in CMUD, meaning only one network setting allowed per CMUD?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 pm   

There is no need to ask the same question in so many places. Since your other posts didn't really add any new information I deleted it, and since this discussion really isn't a beta matter I moved this topic over here.

The network settings should be separate for each window. You can even build a complex session by adding windows and setting connection information to different servers.

When your session is open, open the Package Editor (CTRL-G). In the left pane of the PE click on a window setting. At the bottom or the right pane is a tab that says Advanced, you can adjust where that window will connect to in that tab. There is a button for Preferences also at the bottom of the right pane, that will bring up a preferences dialog specific to that window. In the top left corner of the Preferences dialog there is a drop down that can help you navigate and understand how preference values are inherited through packages.
fumi
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:11 am   

Thank you for the detailed response Vijilante. I will test it out.
fumi
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm   

Tested this out. Entered proxy settings in a window's advanced settings' preferences. The connection did not utilize the proxy. Furthermore, the proxy settings were applied globally to the entire package. This is clearly not working as intended and is quite a dangerous bug as well.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:40 am   

I tested with creating multiple windows within the same session, and found that the proxy settings were carried across many windows. Adding another session into the mix even placed the proxy setting into that session. You are correct, the proxy setting is universal; and in my opinion that is a bug because of how the Preferences window shows inheritance.

However, I have a hard time thinking of a situation when unintentionally using a proxy would cause a problem. I can't agree with your assessment about it being dangerous; and am very curious why you feel you need to have 2 connections where one uses a proxy and the other does not. If it is a published public proxy you have all the defense you need to say that anyone might be connected to the mud with that IP.
fumi
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am   

Thanks for looking into this further and confirming the issue Vijilante.

The danger lies in wanting to maintain completely separate identities. Having one character constantly log in from a particular IP is where the safety lies. When someone's IP starts changing, it attracts unnecessary attention. Should identities/IPs start crossing each other, suspicion arises and that alone can often times lead to trouble. This is especially true on MUDs with now lower populations being run by sadistic self righteous administrators with too much time on their hands.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 am   

The fact that you said "package" and not "packages" tells me that you are trying to open the same session multiple times which not the same thing as what you want. What you want to do is name each session differently so that each can have its own settings package.
So create the sessions, then take the original package, copy it to each session folder and rename it to match the session name (you will have to delete the initial package that was created with the session). Once you do that, you can proceed with the instructions that Vijilante gave you for each session. This assumes that you want the same initial settings for all sessions. If not. skip the package copying.

EDIT:
If all the sessions must have common settings (other than the main window connection settings) create a package in the first session with all the common data, then load the package in the other sessions the first time you load them. After that the package will load at the start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: