Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
apfinger
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:42 pm   

Super Session How To ?

I haven't seen how to make a super session in cMud as referenced in the features.

When I create a new Session, it wants a host in order to connect. But, do I really want my super session to connect to a host? I really just want it to load up other sessions that do all the connecting.

Example:
I have four sessions: Joe, Bob, Bill, Arny. I'd like to make a super session, call it Group, that loads each of these four character sessions and is capable of saving the layout.

I select New Session from the Actions on the left of the Sessions window and give the Session Title the name of Group. How would I proceed from here? Do I need to Open session offline?
apfinger
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:58 am   

I'm stumped. How are others making super sessions?

http://www.zuggsoft.com/page.php?p=cmud&file=cmud/features.htm

That says I can do it. Searching cMud and Google yield no results on how. I tried to hack one by making a new session which I load offline, and run #ALIAS loadUp {#SESSION Joe; #SESSION Bob; #SESSION Bill; #SESSION Arny}. That was a disaster.

https://zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=166035

That one has a few pieces of information that almost help, but not quite.

Sutex-Kindred wrote:
If I tried to save the session , as a Super session ,...

Is this a menu option somewhere that I simply am too blind to see? Is it something that was removed from a later release of cMud? The thread is a few years old.

Rahab wrote:
You create a separate session for each login. Then you create a new session, load all of the others into it, lay it out as you desire, and save it. Opening that supersession will then automatically open all of the loaded sessions.

How do I create a session and load all of the others into it? When I lay it out as I desire, and save it, am I simply saving the session, or saving the layout?

On a side note - if I utilize a super session, will :*: commands go to it, or is it a dummy session that only contains info about other sessions?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:49 pm   

This thread MIGHT help

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37613
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:32 pm   

That thread looks like it has a LOT of promise! I hope I can test it out tonight.

Thanks for finding that one.

MattLofton wrote:
Step 1: starting from the Sessions window with all other sessions closed, open up one session
Step 2: open up another session
Step 3: arrange sessions/windows as desired (by default, all the sessions are tabbed to each other; each session is loaded in with windows displayed per their individual layout files, which is the only time the individual layout files are used)
Step 4: click on File|Save Session As... and give it a name

There's more gems in the thread; these first four steps appear to be an excellent starting point.
apfinger
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:03 am   

Those four steps worked for creating a super session that is capable of loading my four characters. Some issues:

I haven't figured out how to specify the connect order - it seems random, but the MUD determines action order based on connection time (FILO). I suppose I can add actions to the autologins so that the first guy I want connected sends a #CONN command to the second session, and the second session sends #CONN to the third, etc. But I'm sure the Group super session ought to be able to make this determination, as well.

A chat window was spawned by a character prior to me making the super session. I need to figure out how to assign this chat window to the super session rather than a specific character session. :*: commands hits all four character sessions, as well as the chat window (though it doesn't display in the chat window), which passes the command to the parent window. This is an issue I raised in another thread that may be solved, or at least hidden, if the window can get a parent session not one of the four characters I'm playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: