Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:49 am   

Finding the length of a speedwalk

So I'd like to figure out how I can either A) find the length of a speedwalk by name, or B) find the value of a speedwalk by name, so I can use %pathexpand on it to get the length. I was hoping %pathexpand would suit my purposes, but apparently it only works on the actual value of a speedwalk, not on the name, and I've no idea how to automatically extract that information.

Now, I could, instead of using speedwalks, set up my recording to use a string list, and then, when I have to retrace my steps, reverse the list and substitute opposites for each direction, but there must be a better way than that. I hope.

Is there?
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 am   

Just to clarify, do you wish to expand the value of a PATH or expand the directions on your map (EG. from a room #WALK to another room).
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 am   

Paste me an example of the speedwalk you want to return the length of?
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 am   

Well, it's not a specific speedwalk I'm trying to get the length of, exactly. I have a script that creates speedwalks on the fly for reasons I won't go into right now, but it always uses the same name, thus copying over the previous iteration.

The name of the speedwalk is always "Scan", and it ranges from a single step to 4 steps in one direction. Outside of a script, I can easily get the length of a speedwalk with %numitems(%pathexpand(some path)), assuming I paste the value of a speedwalk in there.

The issue is finding the length of said speedwalk in a script, in which case it has to be by name, unless you know of a method to return the value of a speedwalk short of executing it. As of right now I've worked around it by setting a trigger on "(%a) assigned to <pathname>", which records the value of %1 to a variable, so that I can use the aforementioned method of getting the length by referencing that variable. This will work, I just thought there would be a way to skip that intermediary step, given that the %pathexpand function exists, and is not a tenth as useful as it might be if it won't accept the name of a path as input.

If you still want an example, here is one:
Code:
#path Scan 3e

Of course, anybody could look at it and know it's 3 steps long, but I want to know how to make cMud look at it and know the same thing, without having to copy and paste or record the value redundantly.

Last edited by Llohr on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 am   

I don't personally use #PATH as its intended, I just use speedwalks in aliases and #WALK on my map, therefore unable to help sorry. :(
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 pm   

Don't think you can do this with native zscript actually, but perhaps you could use COM to access the path info?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 pm   

Matt, whilst on the subject for COM. Is there a way to use it to save what is left of a speedwalk queue.

Example:
I speedwalk "#SLOW .20n"
however at 10 rooms north I #PAUSE and then from there run around the map a bit (if say I got attacked during PvP).
Therefore I would want to save what is left of the speedwalk, in this case 10n, to a variable.
I can then go back to that room and #SLOW .variable

I hope that made sense.

EDIT: The reason for the above is that if I leave the room I've paused in and go elsewhere on the map, when I return the path is lost and #STEP will not work to continue it (%lastdir/%nextdir are also empty).
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:08 pm   

You can do it with COM, if you have CMUDPro:

Code:
%session.GetPath("name", "class").value

You can also do it with Lua:

Code:
zs.getpath("name").value

I glanced through the COM functions and didn't see anything to get the contents of the mapper queue. Pretty sure that's come up before and we haven't been able to find a way.
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 am   

For what it's worth, if you're in the middle of a slow walk, typing #path without an argument gives you a complete list of your speedwalks,
and at the very end, shows "path ahead:" and "path behind." Path ahead contains what's left of the speedwalk.

Take note, it's not perfectly accurate, if you were to type "#slow .20n", and immediately type #path, you'll get a path ahead of 20n, and
a path behind of n, however, if you've #paused before entering #path, it should update the path ahead.

I imagine with some conditional gagging you could turn this into a usable function.
Scarn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 am   

If instead of using #PAUSE you use {#OK;#PAUSE} that makes you always pause in the correct room on the map.
hadar
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 pm   

you could do
scan
Code:

$path=whatever
$steps=%replace(%numitems(%pathexpand($path)),"|","") steps
#path scan $path

or something like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: