Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:53 pm   

Share your CMUD story!

Are you using CMUD (or zMUD or TeSSH) for purposes *other than* MUD playing? Are you using CMUD as a sysadmin Telnet or SSH tool? Are you using it for some other specialized purpose? Do you know somebody else who is using CMUD/zMUD in a unique way?

I am collecting stories from CMUD/zMUD users that have found "interesting" uses for our software. I plan to condense some of these stories into articles for our TeSSH client and www.tessh.com web site. Any specific personal information in the stories will be removed for these articles (unless you really want me to publicize your company, in which case I will).

If I end up using your story, I'll send you a free license key for CMUD, or a free upgrade key for CMUD 3.x.

Either post your story here (especially if you want to publicize your company), or send an email message to zugg@zuggsoft.com.
Appollon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 pm   

I was a long time user of Portal for my client. I loved all the features of it. So much so that I couldn't ever go back to Zmud, which I had previously used for probably a decade. However, Portal is so unstable, it crashed all the time and a lot of the time, my maps that I'd spent hours making would dest right along with the program, so I stopped mudding altogether out of frustration.

I'm on day five of the evaluation period on CMUD now, and I've mapped about 3k rooms on my mud, and I've only had one crash. I was using the DB and it didn't recognize a newly created zone and crashed the client. Since then, I've avoided (for now) using the DB, and since have had no problems at all. Even if the program crashes once a week, it is a marked improvement from Portal.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 am   

Forgot all about this post. Figured I might as well throw my bits in.

For a while, I used CMUD solely for MUDding. I would write scripts that helped me quite a bit or made cosmetic changes to the way something was displayed.

Then I started getting into lua scripting. It was there that I found I could do SO much more than I thought possible, things that I'm not sure other clients can do. I didn't get started until late, however, when someone piqued my interest with accessing weather information via a Perl script.

At first, I tried to incorporate it into CMUD, but I had no idea about Perl scripting. Then I remembered that I can access web info with lua. I started fiddling around with that, and created the script that has been shown on the forums due to a bug - my weather script. I now have a window that updates weather conditions for whichever area I choose every 15 minutes. Additionally, I can use the alias 'getweather "location" channel' and it will gather the information I seek.

Having successfully done that, I moved on to another web-access project, and that was definitions. It wasn't easy, trying to find a website I could work with to display definitions, but I got it to work, and now I can type 'define <word>' and it'll return the definition of the word, or the closest spelling to the word. If it absolutely cannot find a word that comes close to the spelling, it'll return that the word was misspelled.

Which brings me to my next script - spellchecking. Granted, I could use CMUD's spellchecker option, but that didn't help when others wanted the proper spelling of a word. It's now set up to where someone can send me a tell with a word to spellcheck, and I'd return if it was correct or a list of possible words. (Note: Due to a website change, this has been disabled temporarily, though I'm working on a new one).

Thanks to lua, I also have a calendar that displays the current date in green with a full view of the month. I eventually plan on incorporating appointments/to-dos in the script itself, however, and possibly set up alarms that will pop up a reminder. Essentially, I'm making CMUD into an Outlook-type interface.

Which brings me to my new project. Though the concept is far from new to CMUD, I'm learning the COM interface, and I'm able to grab the latest email from my inbox. It's not entirely finished, but once done, I will have it cycle through important folders every 10-15 minutes, and as new emails happen, I'll have CMUD display the subject and sender with an MXP link to 'open' that email if I choose to do so.

While I'm not a business man, I'm learning more and more exactly how useful this can be to someone in the business world. I love being able to access my emails from CMUD. I love that I can create a script to grab the latest headline from Yahoo News or USA Today, or whatever I choose. I love that I can get the scores for any particular sport/team that I desire with the help of an alias and a script. No more really needing to open up browsers when I don't want to... CMUD can do it for me.

Thanks, Zugg!
adamandkate
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:31 pm   

I have a great story about how CMUD changed my life.

I work for an organisation that conducts research in the field of physical anommaly. My job was to input 4 8 15 16 23 42 into a terminal every 108 minutes. Now as you can imagine, i was going a little crazy.

So through the excellent use of cmud i set up an #EVENT to fire every 108 minutes.

I now have much more free time and have taken up running and swimming as hobbies.
Progonoi
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 pm   

Rofl, nice one!

--------------------------------
Intel Core i5-650 3,2GHz
4 DD3 RAM
GTX 460 768MB
Win 7 Home Premium 64x
--------------------------------
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 am   

My wife sometimes had to bring home her work so that she couldn go through it and check for discrepancies. This takes all weekend when she did this even with my help.
One day it hit me, I could scan the papers in using the scan/text feature and save it all to files.
After that it was very simple to get Zmud to read the file and define the triggers to look for the discrepancies.
The alarm would sound with the pages company info and then we could double check that sheet.

After a few trials, this worked very well and saved us over a day of time.
Don't use it anymore as she got promoted and does not do this anymore.

Another thing, I also use my Zmud/Cmud to generate my lottery numbers Very Happy
meddlesome
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:38 pm   

Well, since your looking for the various ways CMUD can come in handy, here is a sample of something I am working on.

I said to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be grand if when I came into the forum and every time I saw a command or function in use in an example, I could just click on that command/function and go to the page in the manual that details that command/function.

Well, obviously, being the superfluous person that I am, I decided to take it to the next level. What if when I posted a comment that used a command or function, that it posted with the URL link around that command so that anyone could do just as I wanted to do. So I pecked it out and this is what I came up with.

NOTE: If you plan on processing a page full of code, you might as well go take a break for about 10 minutes or so. I haven't figured out a way to speed this up without making what I have going on here worse, but if it's just a short comment with 4 or 5 commands listed, then it only takes seconds to complete.

I also left my counters in place so one can tell that it is actually doing something.

To execute the script, use the alias TAG.

Here's how it works. Copy the post you want to modify into the clipboard. Go to CMUD and type TAG at the session prompt at which you installed the script. It will flash when complete, then you just go back and paste into where you were either making your reply or new topic and preview.

Code:
Ok, well I wanted to put the code here, but when I did, it sent the post 90 miles to the East.

To prevent destroy the entire discussion I put it in Google Documents linked HERE.

Now this only does the COMMANDS and not FUNCTIONS. It is like I tried to say at the beginning, "A work in progress."
CMUD v237
Order number: **7829
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: