Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
twitch2213

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:47 am   

Can't get #find to work

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I play Federation2 and I cannot get the #find function to work to find and update my location on my maps. I use speedwalking regularly and there is an instance while moving across one of my maps that you can be stopped and moved to a random location on that map. I already wrote a trigger to stop the speedwalking when this happens but I want to be able to then automatically find my new location and update that on the map. The #find function does send the look command but that is it, it does not update my location on the map. I can say that auto mapping creation does not work with Federation2 because of format issues and so room names, descriptions, and exits have to be entered manually or with written triggers. I do not know if this effects the #find command and that is why it is not working but if anyone has any insight and can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:14 am   

If autoconfigure doesn't work, you need to #TAG your info. Once you have the necessary triggers working correctly, run the configure wizard again so that it will take those #TAGs into consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:31 am   

Thank you, I thought that might be the problem. I only use the mapping for a small area so I had previously just entered room name and description manually. I will get some #tags in there and see if that solves my problem.
twitch2213

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:41 am   

OK, I thank you very much for the quick response but I am at a loss with these #tags. Consider me a dummy when it comes to the mapper and only slightly better than an amateur when it comes to the rest of Zmud. I have read over some of the other posts similar to this subject but cannot get anything in there to work or do not quite understand what they are saying or get anything else I try to work. I can mostly get the room name to get picked up but hardly ever the description and the exits are rarely listed for any room. I am only worried about getting the #find function to work so unless I need the map to pick up the exits for that I am not worried about them. Some examples of some of the locations I'm dealing with are below. As you can see sometimes I'm dealing with a single line description and sometimes I'm dealing with multiple paragraphs for the description. I have my map complete so I do not need the tags to actually update any location info I just need to get the #find command to work. Thanks again for any help, I greatly appreciate it.

Interplanetary space
You check the main viewscreen, but there are no planets in scanning range.

Magrathea
Your ship is in orbit around an artificial planetoid built by Slarti, the man who has cornered the market on planetary construction. He recently expanded his operations, and moved from his old ground-bound location on Mercury, to a new custom-built facility in space.
A huge flashing sign on the surface of the planetoid says "We Build Worlds".

Solar system interstellar link
You are in a tight orbit around the beacon indicating the presence of an interstellar hyperspace link. In the center of your screen is the pulsing blue circle that indicates the link entry.
The beacon itself is a white dodecahedron covered with transmission aerials.
On the far side of the link you can see some kind of planetoid...
twitch2213

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 am   

Ok, I have tried my best and I still cannot get this #find function to work. I have written some #tag triggers that seem to be working just fine and I have reconfigured my map and still the #find function does nothing but send the look command. I cannot for the life of me get it to update my new location on the map. Please if anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it. I am using Zmud 7.21 if that makes a difference. Thank you.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm   

Unless your map is complete with room names and descriptions in the database, (and can automatically detect them during mapping) odds are #FIND has no data on which to go off of.

P.S. #LOOK updates room descriptions, not #FIND

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 am   

Thank you very much for the reply. I do have a complete map which I did manually and I have no problem slow walking and such where it matches the first line of the description for automatic step confirmation so I know that the descriptions and such are in the database. Unfortunately automatic detection does not work in this mud and #tags are required. Even more unfortunate is contrary to what I said in the above post it looks like my #tags I tried to make do not seem to be working properly. So back to that if anyone could help me get some proper #tags working so I could get some automatic detection working maybe then I could finally get this #find command to work. Never figured it would be this hard but thats what i get for playing an unconventionally formatted mud Laughing

P.S #look does nothing for me, just plain look works for me but not with the #. Do not know if that is maybe for an earlier version of zmud or for cmud. Also I do not want to update my room description I want to update my location on the map automatically when I am moved to a random location by forces beyond my control
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm   

Post prompt-to-prompt room info (show your game commands, too). After that, post all your #tag triggers. #LOOK and #FIND both operate by first executing the stored look-command value (by default, this is "look", but you can change that to some other game command or even to an alias for extended mapper scripting) and then using internal triggers to match room information. This is all based on your configuration, so if #LOOK and #FIND are appearing to do nothing it's strictly because your configuration is incorrect.

If there is involuntary movement, also include whatever messaging indicates this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: