Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 am   

package corruption

As a forewarning this is in part a rant, but more so a request for change/improvement/suggestions.

I've had problems with corrupted packages before, and i'm far more practiced in exporting/editing/deleting packages and recreating than I think I should be.

Right now i'm about a week into having installed cmud on a fresh windows install, and i'm already having problems.

as an example: (fluff removed)
Code:
<event event="combatenter" priority="13410" id="61">
  <value><![CDATA[
]]></value>
  <var name="XP_DB_Clumlative" type="Record" id="72">
    <value></value>
    <json></json>
    <button autosize="false" width="60" height="23" autopos="false" iconleft="false" color="lime" priority="1" id="73"/>
  </var>
  <var name="XP_DB_Info" type="Record" id="65">
    <value></value>
    <json></json>
  </var>
</event>

This is really starting to aggravate me. All told I have some 14000 lines of code, excess of 800 triggers 150 variables and 150 aliases. it is neither a short or simple matter to un-corrupt everything and although maybe more common, but not limited to large trigger sets. And truth be told I see no reason for and would argue that any reason for cmud to put variables buttons and other settings as members of events is bad.

I have not been running cmud after I get access violations, and I have not touched these settings since importing them. In fact I probably have not needed to edit some settings (aside from un-corrupting) that have gotten corrupted, (both parent & child) in the past 12 months or longer.

My resolution wishlist:
1) #export & #import commands {package} {filelocation} then i can automate a vcs backup and i can diff settings to find what changed
2) Idiot checks on importing/exporting maybe loading/saving, nothing fancy just flag when a package has issues like the one above, something to the session window i can trigger on
3) READ ONLY settings no writing to database with ONE exception, variables and then only update the value not parent id's and the kitchen sink. (perferably implemented with sql triggers, I trust sqlite more than i trust cmud) I would rather export an entire package, delete the package import new package edit the setting, the occasional time on my library packages if it reduced package corruption
4) fix multi state trigger importing trigontrigg/newline flags I use a LOT of multistate triggers (800 triggers, 1700+ trigger states), and guessing which ones got these settings set takes time.

I don't think any of these changes would be terribly hard to implement, I'm not asking that only fields that have changed be updated on settings that have updated (which I suspect could also reduce corruption).

Earlier I mentioned access violations, currently i'm running 2-3 instances of cmud and if windows goes to sleep and then resumes they tend to spit errors.

As it stands I will attempt to reduce my script count, and complexity, and I'll investigate these AV errors are corrupting, but if windows sleeping/waking up results in corrupting a programs user data... well it's a scary thought.

Tips tricks, suggestions and comments on my wishlist will be appreciated.

Thanks
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: