Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Blain20
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 am   

Multiplaying windows sharing packages

Hello all. I use CMUD 3.34. I have my packages set up to where my window/connection/layout is empty of triggers/variables/functions/et al. I then use packages which are shared between characters depending on their class. They all share a "General" package, all my mortals share a "Mortal" package, but my wizard has a "Wizard" package. We also have a testmud, so I have a separate window/layout for that, but the same scenario on the shared packages. The problem I'm having is that if I log on two windows, one mortal and one wizard, the wizard gets the "Mortal" package and the mortal gets the "Wizard" package. I do have all my packages set to global because the packages share information between themselves. I'd like to set them local to stop this problem, but things stop working. Just for an example, my General package tracks the prompt and current health for all characters (mortal and wizard alike), but only the Mortal package creates a gauge to show the health. I don't need this on my wizard, but I do need to track his health because I playtest my coding creations. Is there a way to set all packages to local only, but still let them somehow share variables and functions?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 am   

Packages don't have any visibility settings (what you are referring to are modules, which have the local/external/global choices). You can adjust the package list on each window (see the Advanced tab), but that might not be too useful for you if your modules can be seen from other packages.

For modules, Local means only the windows/modules in the same package can see the scripts in this module while other modules/windows in other packages cannot. External is the reverse of that (the scripts in this module cannot be seen by the other windows/modules in the same package), and Global means the module can't hide from anything.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:06 am   

Okay, I thought the modules were the packages, because of the "Package Files" section in the session editor.

I'll give an example of my setup:

Draco (a mortal character):
English Directions, Keypad, URLs, as well as General, Mortal, Shapeshifter (class), Draco
Mordecai (a wizard [staff, coder]):
English Directions, eta., as well as General, Wizard, Mordecai

If I open Draco's window and Mordecai's window at the same time, all modules named above load and both characters see all modules. If I set the modules to anything other than Global, my triggers stop firing. But because Mordecai is seeing Mortal and Shapeshifter, he's getting the health bars and buttons from those modules. So it seems that the package list in the session editor is not exclusive, but minimal, as it's seeing whatever other modules are opened at the time.

Essentially, if I'm playing two characters on two different MUDs, I'm getting crossover from the modules. Setting them to local only seems the way to go, but then the modules for one character can't talk to each other.

I hope that made better sense.
Blain20
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:37 pm   

I saw a "Shared" checkbox when I clicked on my main package, but before I could test to see what unchecking it would do, I lost that screen. ;)~ Now when I click the package, it calls it a Window. pfft This stuff is so confusing.
Blain20
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 pm   

Didn't do what I hoped. I give up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: