Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm   

How to disable levels in mapping?

I searched a bit and found a few people asking this question, but no direct answer was given, only workarounds.

How do I disable the use of levels in mapping? I can live with flattening a few rooms myself and fixing converted links back to up-down from nw-se links (no comment on the brilliance of this in conversion), but how do I disable the use of levels such that new rooms are always created on the same map level? (If I need to use differing levels to sort the rooms on a map, I make them into zones...)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:08 pm   

You don't.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 am   

under the edit menu you can move rooms back up to the appropriate level
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 am   

MattLofton wrote:
You don't.

Ahh. Anyone know where I can download version 3.0 to 3.1ish, then?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 pm   

While we might be able to figure out where to download previous versions of Cmud 3.xx, I have to ask--why? You can't disable levels in any version of Cmud, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't in any version of Zmud, either. Is there some other reason you want an older version of Cmud?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm   

Actually, I just had an idea. I'm not on a computer where I can test this right now. But you might be able to do this:

Copy the directions from the English Directions package to some other package that you load for your session
Remove the English Directions package from your session
Edit the Up direction within your personal directions package
When editing the Up direction, you should see an option to determine in which direction the new room gets created on the map; change this direction to the same direction used for "other" directions
Do the same for the Down direction

I think this might work to create "up" and "down" rooms as if they were "other direction" rooms. But as I said, I can't test this till I get home.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:41 am   

I just tested this. In a new session, I created a modified directions package as I described above. Then I did "#MAKEROOM d kitchen kitchen". It created a new room on the same level, with the links between them of type "other" and exit name of "u" or "d". So this seems to work.
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:14 am   

Sometime in between 3.0 and now, I mapped 8,000 rooms of a MUD including a lot of elevation changes in mountains, and I'm pretty sure my map stayed flat without intervention from me.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 am   

If going "up" or "down" resulted in rooms on the same level (without changing the direction definitions as I described above) it was due to a very serious bug. That would have been fixed very quickly, because it would have prevented almost everyone from mapping correctly. I don't know of anyone else who wants rooms displayed all on a single level. But I don't recall any such bug in any version of 3.xx. (Granted, it has been a while since 3.0, and I may have forgotten). Are you certain that these changes in elevation in the mountains were the result of the "up" or "down commands? If it was a compass direction which merely happened to also produce a change in elevation, the mapper will not automatically know that, and will produce the new room on the same level.

In any case, I strongly suggest that you not try to go back to the early 3.xx versions. There were a lot of very serious bugs in those versions, some of which could completely ruin your data. There's a reason those were beta test versions. If you really want "up" and "down" commands to produce rooms on the same level, I recommend the customized direction package.
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm   

An acceptable alternative - is there a way to make all levels visible at all time, instead of just one above and below?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 pm   

Nope.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 am   

Well, for future reference, since the concept seems lost around here...

More options is ALWAYS better. Always.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:01 am   

The mapper was due for an overhaul before Zugg got his new job. Im sure it is still up next for review, he just doesnt have as much time anymore.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 pm   

The concept is not lost on us. It is simply that no one else has ever requested that feature before, so Zugg never had a reason to incorporate it before. Cmud is already the most configurable mud client around, demonstrating that Zugg already knows that more options are better. It is perfectly fine to suggest it as a feature request--most of us have made feature requests ourselves. It would benefit only a small portion of the Cmud audience, so it would have a low priority. But if it's easy, Zugg has added features like that in the past even when it only benefitted a couple people.

You can't expect Cmud to already have a feature when no one else ever wanted it before.
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:48 pm   

Except that it already worked that way for me for months, apparently.

Fiddling around with directions settings to duplicate the functionality. I have aliases working for speedwalking to follow the map as it exists, but newly generated rooms are still changing level rather than making rooms linked at the corner (nw for up, se for down) as it did for me in the past. Anyone know how to easily change the settings for this?
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 pm   

Never mind, got it working again. However, it's setting all of the custom direction links as having a door, when they rarely do. (I don't have triggers for autodetection of doors other than #NODIR when receiving a door closed output.) Any idea what causes this?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:13 pm   

I have no idea how it could have worked like that for you for months, because it didn't for anybody else. I have no explanation for it. Do you have any other information on how that came to be? Are you certain you hadn't made any changes to the configuration?

Cmud will assume there is a door if you successfully go in a direction that it didn't think existed. For instance, if your mapper does not detect that there is a door east, but you go east, it will create the new room to the east and assume that the reason it didn't know about the exit was because it was through a secret door. Is the up or down direction listed in the room exits, and detected by the mapper?
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 am   

It detects up-down exists. I configured it to create nw-se exits when moving up or down, to keep the map flat, and it connects via these instead of the up-down links. Is there a way to configure around that? Every feature still works, it simply spams the MUD with open door commands as it walks.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 pm   

So it detects the up exit in the room description and creates an exit stub to the northwest. Then when you go through, it creates a new room and turns the exit into a door? Very odd. I don't think it should be doing that. I'll try to remember to take a look at it when I get home. I'm sure we can figure out a way around this.
Desirsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:06 am   

Didn't get back to this until just now.

When a new room is created or a room is manually updated (using auto detection), it creates normal up and down links. When I move up or down, it is configured to create new rooms NW or SE instead of on a different level, and thus links to the NW and SE exits of the room, creating a new link in the process. The up/down links go unused.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:53 pm   

How is it "configured to create new rooms NW or SE"? Are you using the modified Directions as I suggested?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: