Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
xnomeda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 am   

Inline trigger w/variable help

Ok, so I'm trying to make an EQ DB for my mud. Some of the lines in the identify result are such as
Affects: Hitroll by 1

Where Hitroll and 1 are variable depending on the stat. Is there any way to make a #Trigger Affects: (&Item.%1) by (&Item.%2) type of trigger statement? Where it would add hitroll=1 or charisma=2 depending on the Affect line? or some sort of inline #ADDITEM command?
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:25 am   

Not within the pattern, but you could just do something like #trigger {^Affects: (%w) by (%d)$} {#addkey item %1 %2}.
xnomeda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 pm   

Well, I was able to get {Affects: (&%%additem(Item.Affects))$} {} to work slightly, it wouldn't add to the Item.Affects list as much as it would just replace the variable with the latest Affect line. However using your suggestion I was able to get it to work as intended, thank you.

Now let me ask this: Would it be a better deign to try and create a field for each and every affect variable (ie a field for hitroll, a field for strength, etc)and add the modifiers per row to the fields that applied, or would it be better to just have a text list and use strings such as hitroll=1|charisma=2 and such in a single field? If it would be the single field, would it be best to just store a List variable into a text/memo field and parse it on search, or is there a better way?
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:19 am   

I think it would make much more sense to have a separate field for each stat, with your second option it would be a lot harder to search or filter your equipment, if you wanted to find pieces with a certain amount of hitroll, for example.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 pm   

As with any database design, it depends on how you intend to use the data. You should organize it according to how you intend to search it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: