Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zoticus
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 am   

No response to triggers?

I've had CMud for quite some time, but have never really attempted to use it - despite having the latest version (3.34), I've been content with zmud for the bulk of my mudding, since it has my scripts and everything works just fine.

However, I've recently taken an interest in combat on my mud of choice (Aetolia) and zmud simply just can't keep up. I'm having a rather notable error, though - Cmud, under no circumstances, responds to -any- of my triggers.

Aliases and macros work fine, and if I use the right click to execute a trigger, it sends to the mud- but at no point during active play do -any- of my triggers fire. It's acting as though they're disabled, but they're not. Every single area of the client that deals with enabling/disabling of -anything- is turned on- and no triggers, no matter how simple they are, appear to work.

As an experiment, I took a trigger verbatim and gave it to a fellow Cmud user. It fired perfectly when she put it in. The only difference between the two of us is that when I open my Cmud, I get an error - 'Error opening pcre810.dll library Invalid access to memory location'

I did a search for this error, and none of the suggested fixes in related topics on this forum have gotten rid of it. However, none of the topics said anything about the client acting as though there were no triggers, either.

What gives?

Edit - I should add, I've uninstalled (complete with deleting -all- related folders from my system) and reinstalled the program twice, but nothing has changed except for the loss of my own packages and triggers/aliases that worked fine before cmud decided triggers didn't exist.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 pm   

pcre810.dll is the Regular Expression engine, all triggers including native zScript triggers are compiled to regular expressions and the engine is used to do matching, so the fact that this fails to load is the reason why none of your triggers work.

There are a couple of things you can try.

1. See if some other program on your computer is using a regex library and is loading before CMUD and if so prevent it from doing so.
2. Disable DEP - Data Execution Prevention either for the whole computer which isn't recommended or make an exclusion for CMUD and then reboot.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 pm   

Taz wrote:
pcre810.dll is the Regular Expression engine, all triggers including native zScript triggers are compiled to regular expressions and the engine is
1. See if some other program on your computer is using a regex library and is loading before CMUD and if so prevent it from doing so.

How can I check this? I have very little set to start up on my computer as soon as it's booted, and the error persists even if Cmud is the first thing I open.

Edit - I created an exclusion as per your second suggestion and the error persists.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm   

do triggers fail you in a blank session as well?
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 pm   

Zoticus wrote:
I created an exclusion as per your second suggestion and the error persists.

Did you reboot after making the exclusion?
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 pm   

shalimar wrote:
do triggers fail you in a blank session as well?

If he gets that message as CMUD starts then triggers will fail in a blank session too.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 am   

Taz wrote:
Did you reboot after making the exclusion?

Yes - and once more past that, when I went through my startup and turned of all non-essential startup. The only thing running still that I could turn off on startup is my virus scanner, and it's been on my computer much longer than this error has been occurring.

Edit - and yes, triggers do not work in -any- session, blank or otherwise.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:43 am   

Boot into safe mode and run it there to see if you still get the error.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 am   

Taz wrote:
Boot into safe mode and run it there to see if you still get the error.

Did so - and I don't. But I'm at a slight loss here - the only program actually running is my virus scanner/firewall - BitDefender. There are probably some related processes, but as I stated before, I've been running this program at least as long as I've used CMud and I've never come across this error before.

Any suggestions that might get rid of it that don't involve removing the protection from my computer?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:05 pm   

I'm NOT entirely convinced BitDefender is the issue although it is feasible that a recent engine update could be having an adverse effect.

I'm interested now to know what exactly happens with DEP when you boot into safe mode so will go off and research that. In the interim along with the CMUD exclusion also add BitDefender as an exclusion and reboot.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 pm   

I haven't been able to find an explicit statement to the fact but I'm fairly certain that DEP is switched off in Safe Mode.

By the way the reason I am so fixated on DEP is because in Topic 35676 Zugg stated that he uses the LoadLibrary API to load the regex dll and every topic that I've seen on programming forums regarding the error message you are getting in conjunction with LoadLibrary discusses the likely culprit as being DEP.

Now I'm assuming that prior to you setting exclusions the top radio for "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" was in effect and I guess the Windows LoadLibrary API falls under this label. Unfortunately with the bottom radio in effect you can only exclude executables not dll files and it appears that excluding CMUD doesn't fix the problem and thinking further on the issue I highly doubt adding BitDefender as an exclusion will help either.

I think really the only thing left is exactly what I said was not recommended which is to disable DEP for the whole computer. See a link below that tells you how to do so but be WARNED that this has the potential to kill your OS.

http://windows7themes.net/disable-windows-data-execution-prevention-in-windows-7-vista.html
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 pm   

How did you get on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: