Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Lasivian
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:59 pm   

Characters missing after re-registration

So Windows died on me, I copied off the zmud folder, and tried to replace it/reinstall it on the new windows install, which went perfectly, however I start zmud and I get the default list of muds, not my extensive list of 40 toons.

When I check preferences I don't find any of the files in my directories that it's asking for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 pm   

Recreate them by hand. Those 40 toons were kept in a file called chardb.mdb, and apparently you either overwrote it or failed to back it up prior to the reinstall.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 pm   

If you mean chardb.db I have an old 67k one, but it keeps getting copied over with a 10k new version.

No idea why.
Lasivian
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:51 pm   

Well, I edited chardb.db and it seems the data is there in SQLite 2.1 format, but for whatever reason zmud doesn't like it.
Einder
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 am   

have you tried just copying the old chardb.db over the new one? not replace everything, only the one file? If it's still getting overwritten it might be something to do with the permissions set on the file, check those and try again.
Lasivian
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 am   

Einder wrote:
have you tried just copying the old chardb.db over the new one? not replace everything, only the one file? If it's still getting overwritten it might be something to do with the permissions set on the file, check those and try again.

Yes. I tried copying over the old file, but it just gets immediately overwritten with a new "default" file with no characters.

The permissions are fine, I'm running everything as administrator both now and previously.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 pm   

Do you now have Windows 7 with full install including game files in Program Files?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 pm   

Taz wrote:
Do you now have Windows 7 with full install including game files in Program Files?

It is under Windows 7, but I backed up the entire zmud folder from the previous machine.

I can't see what's different now that it refuses to use the previous character database.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:21 pm   

If you have your character database saved in Program Files then you're more than likely running into the Folder Protection problem even though you're running as Administrator.

I don't think the install for zMUD gives the option to store your mud files in a separate location to the program so my advice is to run the install and just specify to install to C:\ZMUD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: