Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm   

Why cant I get cmud to be stable

My yearly testrun with cmud, fails miserably again.

With my past problems of trying to run multiple characters that pass information between sessions, I installed cmud on this computer, and kept all triggers and aliases specifically to each session.

I still constantly crashes. there are times when maps open in the wrong session, and about 95 % of the time, closing the mapper will crash zmud.

physical memory : 6337/8182 MB (free/total)
free disk space : (C:) 51.32 GB (D:) 303.10 GB
allocated memory : 89.65 MB
executable : cMUD.exe
version : 2.37.0.0
compiled with : BCB 2006/07
callstack crc : $45929ea2, $340097f8, $340097f8
exception number : 1
exception message : Cannot create file "C:\Users\ecourt\Documents\My Games\CMUD\map\_temp.cfg". The system cannot find the path specified.

Cmud is still totally unusable to me. and I still fall back to zmud, but I really like the new features in cmud.

The problems I've had in the past with running this is, people tell me I need one session that has settings for both sessions in it... the problem is, (Just like I do with Zmud) I have over 30 saves sessions, and switch between them all very often. I may go through 10 characters, in an hour, swapping them in and out.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 am   

Quote:

version : 2.37.0.0

That's your main problem. I can almost guarantee that pretty much ANY problem you have with CMud is caused solely by using 2.37 or using datafiles that were used in 2.37. That's literally how bad 2.37 turned out to be, even though it was stable enough to be a public-version release. I can understand not wanting to upgrade, either because you legitimately can't (cost, computer limitations, etc) or out of principle, but 2.37 is not at all the version to be making that stand on.

EDIT:
1)have you tried sending your data through the various recovery processes? XML export/import process for packages, MapConvert v1.3 for mapfile corruption, recreation of the sessions.db/sessionkeys.db files, SHIFT trick for layouts, etc?

2)have you detailed the window layouts you're typically using? I've always had stability issues with a large number of windows (might be different for you, but things went sideways for me at about 12 windows) and with complex configurations.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 am   

Great.. dind't know 2.37 wasn't so bad.
All my stuff has been created new, and I never have more than about 4 windows open at once, it seems to be the closing one window, and opening others that causes things to crash.

I have tried the shift when opening trick, I haven't exported and reimported files, as all my files were created new, but I can give it a shot.
#2, I don't have a standard layout.. I may have character 1 and 2 open when I Start, then 2 exits, and 3 comes on, then 1 exits, and 4 comes on, then 5 may join.. CMUD has normally crashed well before that happens, and I've gotten frustrated and swapped to zmud. There's not any special window configs that I use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: