Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:15 am   

%format with % symbols in the format string (bug?)

%format doesn't work if there are % symbols in the format string. I've found that doubling the % works, but only if that's at the very end of the string. I haven't yet found a way of getting %s to show in the middle. Am I just missing something or is there a bug here? If it matters, this is the function I'm trying to get working:
Code:
#FUNCTION formatLine {#RETURN %format( %concat( %ansi( cyan), "&8s : ", %ansi( grey), "&5.2n%", %ansi( cyan), "          Focus On : ", %ansi( grey), "&5.2n%", %ansi( cyan), "          Focus Off : ", %ansi( grey), "&5.2n%"), %1, %2, %3, %4)}

Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm   

Move your "%" sign out from format and just %concat it as regular text.
something like
%concat(%format("&3.0n",@SomeData/100, "%)")
works fine for me

Btw, why not to move from %1, %2, %3, %4 and let your formatLine function to have 4 parameters, it's more CMUD-style.
-#SECTION can terminate threads
-Buttons can't start threads
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 pm   

Not a bug. % is an alternative wildcard character for the format string. Perhaps this could be smartened up a bit so that any use of % or & that doesn't have a valid set of wildcard info immediately after could be handled literally, but that really depends on if Zugg is calling some external format function or not.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm   

Arde: That would work fine if the % symbols were at the end of the string, but I can't %concat to the middle. And I don't understand the second part of your post...my formatLine function does take 4 parameters...

Matt: Not being able to use a % symbol in the format string may not be a bug, but I think the doubling it only working at the end may be. And bug or not, is there another way I can use % signs in %format? It's very inconvenient...
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 pm   

You have to use &s and then include it as a value argument. For example, to format something as common as a HP percent, it'd look like so:

%format("HP: &3.0f&s",@curhp,"%")
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm   

What do you want to concat in the middle? In the middle of what? Broke your string into 2 parts and have the "%" at the end of a string, then %concat everything.
Why not to use %concat("abc ", %format(..), "% def") to have "abc 50% def"? I can't understand.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 pm   

Ah, great idea Matt, thanks!
Arde - which code do you think is better?
Code:
#FUNCTION formatLine {#RETURN %format( %concat( %ansi( cyan), "&8s : ", %ansi( grey), "&5.2n%", %ansi( cyan), "          Focus On : ", %ansi( grey), "&5.2n%", %ansi( cyan), "          Focus Off : ", %ansi( grey), "&5.2n%"), %1, %2, %3, %4)}

Code:
#FUNCTION formatLine {#RETURN %concat( %ansi( cyan), %format( "&8s", %1), " : ", %ansi( grey), %format( "&5.2n", %2), "%", %ansi( cyan), "          Focus On : ", %ansi( grey), %format( "&5.2n", %3), "%", %ansi( cyan), "          Focus Off : ", %ansi( grey), %format( "&5.2n", %4), "%")}
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 pm   

BTW, since you said % is the same thing as & in the format string, I tested this with &. The same bug exists - doubling it only works if it's at the end of the string. Oddly, when you do double it, it changes into a %...
Arde
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:31 am   

Daern wrote:
Arde - which code do you think is better?

I do not think, I'm absolutely sure. The second one is better.

This one is even better than your second one:
Code:
#FUNCTION formatLine {#RETURN %concat("<color cyan>", %format("&8s", %1), " : </color><color grey>", %format("&5.2n", %2), "%</color><color cyan>, "          Focus On : </color><color grey>, %format("&5.2n", %3), "%</color><color cyan>, "          Focus Off : </color><color grey>, %format("&5.2n", %4), "%</color>")}
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:02 pm   

Right, four calls to %format is definitely way more efficient than one...
Anyway, sarcasm aside, there's a bug here. I'm just reporting it, there's no need for arguments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: