Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Darkflame808
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:59 am   

Problem with missing lines.

I have a problem with missing lines in a mud I play. I could never really reproduce the problem until now but it's caused a few lines to disappear.

Some of these lines were tells and even when trying to do the recall command of the game I play it still showed up corrupted.

I logged into putty and managed to have a friend retell me the tell that bonked out of cmud.

Here is the line.

energies, a psionist will gain more from this spell then someone else will.

ok so I tried to play around and use the #show command. With #show energies, a psionist will gain more from this spell then someone else will. Cmud displays nothing. I opened up the debugger and tried

#show energies, a psionist will gain more from this spell then someone else will.
#show energies, a psionist will gain more from this spell then someone else will.
#show energies, test

This is the results of the debugger.
|
0.0016 | c playdeca | [2] playdecay Comline : start :
0.0024 | d playdeca | [2] playdecay Comline : stopped
22.275 | ---
0.0012 | c playdeca | [2] playdecay Comline : start :
0.0016 | d playdeca | [2] playdecay Comline : stopped
22.020 | ---
0.0010 | c playdeca | [2] playdecay Comline : start :
0.0014 | a playdeca |energies, test
0.0035 | d playdeca | [2] playdecay Comline : stopped
0.0000 |

This problem persists regardless of if triggers and parsing is on or off.

Can someone give me assistance on what I could do to better investigate this <possible> bug or perhaps better understand what may be going on on my end of things.

I don't ever recall having text issues on 3.33 is there a way I could obtain an older copy to test it out on there?
I do have 3.29 I can give that one a go and report back.

Thanks!
Darkflame808
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:11 am   

Ok! I solved it. and I didn't even have to drop down a version.

my password is two words and it was within that sentence. I found out by erasing one character at a time and reshowing it...Eventually it showed and I started using different sentences with portions of where it broke then I realized I was looking at my password.

I changed my password and removed the autologin details and now it shows up clear again!

Woo hoo!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 pm   

Barring an immediate scripting change that makes the autologin details superfluous (ie, you built your own login system allowing you to choose from a variety of different characters using just one session), why remove it? You could either change it to something not likely to ever appear in mud text, or you could go into Preferences and unclick the option to gag all lines with your password.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:49 am   

I did that because I did not deduce the option that gagging all lines would have affected any conversations.

I just noticed lines missing and I could never understand why because I could not find out what I was missing.

It didn't dawn on me that the option to gag pw lines was the problem. When I went into debug I didnt see any gag messages explaining what content I was missing.

Once I found out the line that was gagging trial and error pointed me to my password.

I have since taken your suggestion and re-enabled everything again and all is well.

thank you!
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:12 pm   

If you use a proper password (ie a random string of letters and numbers, some upper case some lower...) then you'll never have this issue. You should never use proper words for passwords, as it makes it easy to hack your character. And then you can leave the gag in place. I've never had anything gagged in 14 years of playing MUDs because I use a different random password for each character.

The following can help you generate secure passwords for use anywhere:
http://mkpasswd.accessup.org/e_index.html (Web based pw generator that uses the below as a backend)
http://linux.die.net/man/1/mkpasswd (Linux, but can be used via Cygwin)
http://people.defora.org/~khorben/projects/makepasswd/ (Different implementation of a random password creator for Linux)

Somewhere out there is a perl script as well, which can be run in windoze if you have perl installed. Not to mention many other utilities for windoze as well. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: