Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:33 pm   

Status Window or Shared Window

I am trying to create a package for someone and I am not sure if I want to us a status window or capture window for information gathered for multi-play. I have never multi-played before and not sure how to handle this.k Any suggestions? I don't like #stwin because it does it for ALL sessions since it is global.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:51 pm   

#STWIN is not global to all sessions. Technically speaking, the status window itself is also not global because it only displays one window's worth of status objects at a time. This means that if you have a status object defined within a window and you click on some other window, the status window will automatically blank out (assuming this other window didn't have any status objects to display.)

I find this aspect of the status window annoying, so when I want to view information I use a plain capture window and create functions to handle the display upkeep (this allows me to tinker with the display without interfering with the important workings of the underlying script, and similarly to tinker with the underlying script without interfering with the decided-upon display).
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:07 pm   

If the status window would continue to show the parent window's status if there was no overriding status window object.... that would be dreamy.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:54 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
#STWIN is not global to all sessions. Technically speaking, the status window itself is also not global because it only displays one window's worth of status objects at a time. This means that if you have a status object defined within a window and you click on some other window, the status window will automatically blank out (assuming this other window didn't have any status objects to display.)

I find this aspect of the status window annoying, so when I want to view information I use a plain capture window and create functions to handle the display upkeep (this allows me to tinker with the display without interfering with the important workings of the underlying script, and similarly to tinker with the underlying script without interfering with the decided-upon display).

Matt, I agree with the status window is annoying. It should NOT load when you open another window or session if it isn't defined! To me that is just bad programming.
Can you give an example of using functions in capture windows.
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:21 pm   

You can create a 'global' status window by placing a status bar/status window object (as created by #ST or #STWIN) inside of a package that is enabled for all of the windows you'll be using.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:13 am   

Code:
#function @Update_____Window() {
  #mxp <dest _____ x=# y=#>stuff</dest>
  #return 0
}

I've built my capture windows in "modular" sections, so I've taken to using such functions to only update the parts that need updating instead of clearing the entire window and rewriting it via #WINDOW (that was causing flicker.)

I'm currently puttering around with a package that will create generic windows of the style I use, but there's so much missing from window functionality right now that I cannot do a bunch of stuff I wish to do or doing it can simply be undone via the mouse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: