Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:51 am   

Multistate button blues

I am really get a little ticked at the multistate button. There has to be a bug somewhere in the code which causes my multistate button to stop working all of the fricking time! I uploaded my package, Speech Types. to the library and it worked fine for awhile. Now I just went to get the package again and BAM! the multistate doesn't change again. I noticed that the button is gone and the states are only there. I had to recreate it AGAIN and AGAIN the button doesn't work at all. Here is the code.
Code:

<button type="Multistate" variable="@SpeechTypeGV/speech" autosize="false" width="72" height="23" autopos="false" left="-1" top="-1" toolbar="2" priority="350" id="35">
  <caption>Command</caption>
  <button id="38">
    <caption>Command</caption>
    <value>#class CommCmnd 0</value>
  </button>
  <button id="39">
    <caption>Stutter</caption>
    <value>#class CommCmnd 1</value>
  </button>
  <button id="42">
    <caption>Old English</caption>
  </button>
  <button id="44">
    <caption>Lisp</caption>
  </button>
</button>

This variable isn't getting updated AGAIN!!!! I am just about ready to switch to another client! Also the darn thing crashed multiple times for no apparent reason and YES I did send the report.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:32 pm   

Given all this, did you do the usual fixes? Shift trick, export/import XML, etc?
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:42 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
Given all this, did you do the usual fixes? Shift trick, export/import XML, etc?

Yes I did all of the usual fixes. If I hear another "Your package is corrupted" I will puke! A program that you pay for and is public shouldn't have corruptions issues. I know Zugg is a one man shop but I got to admit that if I bought MS Word or another product from another commercial product that constantly gets corruption issues and crashes as much as CMUD does I wouldn't use it.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:26 am   

Most of the complaints aren't about legitimate bugs, though, so much as users not taking the time to ensure that there's no bad data mucking up their observations (if they even go to the effort of figuring out how to reproduce the bug instead of just blindly submitting bug reports). If you have bad data, an application like CMud can do pretty much anything regardless of what the author coded for and the horrid thing about the entire situation is that such behavior can look like it's repeatable, stable, and how the code was written.

I've been in your position before, tracking down entire bugs with detailed reports and reproducible procedures, only to have it pointed out that the code as written doesn't DO the behavior I spent all that time observing and getting a procedure for.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:18 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
Most of the complaints aren't about legitimate bugs, though, so much as users not taking the time to ensure that there's no bad data mucking up their observations (if they even go to the effort of figuring out how to reproduce the bug instead of just blindly submitting bug reports). If you have bad data, an application like CMud can do pretty much anything regardless of what the author coded for and the horrid thing about the entire situation is that such behavior can look like it's repeatable, stable, and how the code was written.

I've been in your position before, tracking down entire bugs with detailed reports and reproducible procedures, only to have it pointed out that the code as written doesn't DO the behavior I spent all that time observing and getting a procedure for.

Matt,
I have submitted this problem many times and reproduced it. I've even posted my complete package and was told that there should be anything in it to cause corruption. BUT AGAIN, it stops working and nobody can tell me why...
I think I am going to leave Zuggsoft and start using Mudlet! It is free and just as powerful.
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:10 am   

I downloaded the SpeechTypes package version 3.2.8 and had a look through it with an SQL browser. I can confirm that the package itself is corrupt. There are no settings in the package for the main state of the multistate button (state 0) and the four states which are configured (state 1-4) all have invalid values in the 'parent' field and are missing essential information from the 'options' field.
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am   

DraxDrax wrote:
I downloaded the SpeechTypes package version 3.2.8 and had a look through it with an SQL browser. I can confirm that the package itself is corrupt. There are no settings in the package for the main state of the multistate button (state 0) and the four states which are configured (state 1-4) all have invalid values in the 'parent' field and are missing essential information from the 'options' field.

That proves my point about package always getting corrupted! Very sad.. I am done with CMUD.. I am now going to use Mudlet!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:08 pm   

Sorry you are so frustrated. Getting a corrupted package in 3.x is a pretty rare occurrence and I'm not sure why it keeps happening to you. I haven't gotten a corrupted package myself in years and based upon support email most corrupted packages these days are from people who used old buggy versions of CMUD (like Betas) or try to import badly written scripts from zMUD. The other most common way to get a corrupted database file is to keep using CMUD after it crashes with an access violation from some other problem.

CMUD uses proper SQL Transactions for all database updates, and that's about as safe as it can get. But because CMUD has so many different ways of doing everything and has such a powerful scripting system, there is really no way to fully test all possibilities. Even though you say you have reproduced these issues, I have never seen a procedure from you that allows me or other CMUD users to reproduce your problems. I'm happy to fix bugs that I can reproduced, but can't do much for user-specific issues that can't be reproduced.

You are always free to use whatever MUD client you want. If you feel that your time is better spent converting all of your scripts to Mudlet only to find that it actually doesn't have all of the features of CMUD, then that is your choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: