Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:16 pm   

Can CMUD do this? Yes!!

I was looking around the mud world and came across this video of a custom client for their mud.
It was really neat! I know that CMUD can do this. But I really liked the layout. The only thing I don't think CMUD can do is the full mapping this one shows.
Here is the link
http://bc-dev.net/2010/01/16/maiden-desmodus-web-client-video/

Here is another link to a mush client doing some cool things which I know CMUD can do. I wish my MUD would send out the data for a map view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvceEH3L4co
Mixsel
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 am   

Bah time to get some Videos up Zugg and everyone :)
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:00 pm   

Those videos have been around for a while. And yes, I plan to try and make some videos of my own eventually, but I'd rather spend my time actually fixing bugs and improving CMUD. Anybody could make CMUD videos like this...it doesn't need to come from me. For example, Jeremy at IRE did some Youtube videos about using CMUD on IRE Muds. I just don't have time to do everything myself. So maybe somebody could help out with this.

I'm also horrible at that kind of marketing. Yeah, it's cool to show some neat video of a MUD client doing stuff like that. Most people probably won't even notice that most of those features only work on specific MUDs that have specific addons written for them, whereas CMUD will do that kind of stuff on most any MUD.

Finally, as we all know, custom MUD clients like that might look pretty, but they are pretty limited in functionality. I could easily write the best looking and coolest MUD client ever imagined for a single specific MUD, but I've always chosen to go the route of providing the most functionality across all possible MUDs to let the players themselves customize CMUD for the specific MUD they are playing.

And yes, CMUD can do that.
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:05 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Those videos have been around for a while. And yes, I plan to try and make some videos of my own eventually, but I'd rather spend my time actually fixing bugs and improving CMUD. Anybody could make CMUD videos like this...it doesn't need to come from me. For example, Jeremy at IRE did some Youtube videos about using CMUD on IRE Muds. I just don't have time to do everything myself. So maybe somebody could help out with this.

I'm also horrible at that kind of marketing. Yeah, it's cool to show some neat video of a MUD client doing stuff like that. Most people probably won't even notice that most of those features only work on specific MUDs that have specific addons written for them, whereas CMUD will do that kind of stuff on most any MUD.

Finally, as we all know, custom MUD clients like that might look pretty, but they are pretty limited in functionality. I could easily write the best looking and coolest MUD client ever imagined for a single specific MUD, but I've always chosen to go the route of providing the most functionality across all possible MUDs to let the players themselves customize CMUD for the specific MUD they are playing.

And yes, CMUD can do that.

My point Zugg was to let everyone know it can be done. The mush client is the one I like alot better then the mud specific client. The only thing I like about the mud specific client was the layout for the buttons.

How about having a contest by us CMUD users to create a video for you for marketing purposes. This way it can be displayed on the site for promotional purposes.
I think I'll make a package for easy accessible buttons like that. Making it easy to change the command sent too.
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:26 am   

Hey everyone.. How about some screen shots of layout of CMUD... Or even showing a video of some of the functionality you have created... I am going to create one in the next few days.. Very Happy

Last edited by darmir on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:07 pm   

Here's one layout I use.

http://img585.imageshack.us/i/silverbridgelayout.png/

Last edited by Tech on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 pm   

Nice layout Tech... What is the navigation for on the bottom left of your layout. Are the buttons mainly for quests?
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 am   

Here is one of my layouts with packages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iui3zPVwD1g

When you watch the video click the expand button on the player so you can see it better.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:51 am   

www.symphaena.com/mainlayout.bmp
www.symphaena.com/items.bmp

I really like the window-swap thing I've got going on in the items window image.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 am   

Nice Layouts People!, Hopefully theres more to come :)

I should at least contribute a screenie....
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:54 am   

Nice use of floating windows Matt. Darmir, I really the fly-out Character window. I may have to borrow that.

I have four directional buttons (the MUD only does the NEWS cardinals.

The little person in the upper left sends the 'score' command.
In the upper right, 'inv' sends the 'inventory' command.
The center button is the 'look' command.
Bottom left is the 'affects', to see all spells affecting me.
Bottom right is the 'equipment' command.

Crusades is for quest related stuff.
Attack is for my favorite attack combo's.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:57 am   

MattLofton wrote:

I really like the window-swap thing I've got going on in the items window image.

Matt,
What do you mean by the window-swap thing?
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:06 am   

Tech wrote:
Nice use of floating windows Matt. Darmir, I really the fly-out Character window. I may have to borrow that.

I have four directional buttons (the MUD only does the NEWS cardinals.

The little person in the upper left sends the 'score' command.
In the upper right, 'inv' sends the 'inventory' command.
The center button is the 'look' command.
Bottom left is the 'affects', to see all spells affecting me.
Bottom right is the 'equipment' command.

Crusades is for quest related stuff.
Attack is for my favorite attack combo's.

I like those ideas... I may have to borrow some of those.... This is great way to come up with new ways to do things..
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:42 am   

darmir wrote:
MattLofton wrote:

Matt,
What do you mean by the window-swap thing?

If you look at the top left of the image there is the word inventory in bright cyan and then Equipment is gray and underlined which I would assume is a MXP link. I'm guessing if he clicks the gray Equipment word the window will switch to show his Equipment list in that window turning the word Equipment bright, cyan and then making the Inventory word a gray, underlined MXP link.
CMUD 3.34
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:58 pm   

Darmir: Excellent video. Did you use Camtasia Studio for that? Or something else?

Great thread for giving people ideas. I've shown my main MUD layout before, but here it is again:

www.zuggsoft.com/images/aardwolf.jpg

Along the top are all of my capture windows. Important ones, like "Tells" and "Clan" are set to Bring to Front when they receive text. The window below the mapper is a capture of the Aardwolf ANSI map which duplicates the CMUD map a bit but can show when there is another player in a nearby room.

Along the bottom is my gauges for HP, Mv, Exp. The "zone" button gives me a #pick list of various zones and lets me select a zone to speedwalk to. It uses a %mapquery script to find the first room in a zone (the first mapped room in a zone is usually the entrance) and then uses #WALK to go there. I use that for running quick quests.

All in all it's pretty simple compared to what some other people are showing. I don't use MXP nearly enough yet. I also like the various Character and Equipment windows and look forward to doing more stuff like that with GMCP when I get time to play again (after I get over my current Minecraft addiction ;)
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:12 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Darmir: Excellent video. Did you use Camtasia Studio for that? Or something else?

Great thread for giving people ideas. I've shown my main MUD layout before, but here it is again:

www.zuggsoft.com/images/aardwolf.jpg

Along the top are all of my capture windows. Important ones, like "Tells" and "Clan" are set to Bring to Front when they receive text. The window below the mapper is a capture of the Aardwolf ANSI map which duplicates the CMUD map a bit but can show when there is another player in a nearby room.

Along the bottom is my gauges for HP, Mv, Exp. The "zone" button gives me a #pick list of various zones and lets me select a zone to speedwalk to. It uses a %mapquery script to find the first room in a zone (the first mapped room in a zone is usually the entrance) and then uses #WALK to go there. I use that for running quick quests.

All in all it's pretty simple compared to what some other people are showing. I don't use MXP nearly enough yet. I also like the various Character and Equipment windows and look forward to doing more stuff like that with GMCP when I get time to play again (after I get over my current Minecraft addiction ;)

I used Cam Studio, which is free. http://camstudio.org/
I did the video very quickly so it shows some mistakes. I think I will create another one showing another mud which will have packages.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:15 pm   

Cool, I didn't know the free version could produce the file format needed for YouTube. I'll definitely need to check that out. I really didn't want to drop $XXX on Camtasia Studio if I could avoid it.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:54 pm   

I think I'll do a video too. For my other MUD I have a complete MXP driven menu (which depends on the packages available) that's pretty cool I think. Is it sad that I script and post waaaaayyyy more than I MUD?

And why do folks still use Courier? From the time I got Consolas, I never looked back.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 pm   

sorry to bring to life this "deadish" topic but i made a small video does not show as much as the last one but would like to post it sense this became a layout thread it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXByBnLG5c
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:47 am   

This is a video of me doing a competitive match in the MUD I play in:
Click

I've actually got a pretty nice setup to do videos and the like. I'm ChocoGoob on Youtube and I have a bunch of guides up on there under that account.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:58 pm   

I would like to revive this thread. Come on mudders show your stuff! I know that there are more layouts out there and cool packages people have created.
Shezmu
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:49 pm   

This is my layout. Details such as spell duration are show twice, once as a value (in tics) in my status window, the second graphically on my left toolbar.

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/captureqw.jpg/
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07 am   

These are a few things I've been tinkering with.

KillBot demo
Damn 2.0 - customized damage messages
Damn 2.0 - damage record for one character

The last video skips around a bit, but they give you a decent idea of how I've been fiddling with the UI
This also relates back to this topic and why I'd like separators to support images.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: