Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Palek
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 am   

EDIT: Command Echo interferes with MUD Output

A little background first:

The mud I am playing on does not publish static room numbers, nor does it use room names, therefore the mapper uses room descriptions to get #OK's to confirm room movement.

Now on to the issue, when you have command echo turned on and are moving fast, the command echo will come in the middle of the room description received from the mud so it is not read fully, here is a capture of this occuring:

off 1157/1157 75/50 2292735 undrugged > d
You are in a wide landing on the main public level of the station. This is the main escalator leading through the station. From here you can go up to Level R2, or down to Level R1.

There are four obvious exits: up, west, down, and east.

An Imperial Citizen

off 1157/1157 75/50 2292735 undrugged > e
You are in a wide hae
llway on the main public level of the station. To the west there is a escalator crowded with people wanting to go down to the docking bay. To the east the hall branches north and south, where the shopping arcade lies.

There are two obvious exits: west and east.

Shopper

off 1157/1157 75/50 2292735 undrugged > e
This is the main public concourse of the station. The hallway runs from north to south. As you stand you can feel the vibrations coming from the station's power source through your boots. Shops dot the outer walls. Guards stand watch over the crowd of tourists and citizens of the station.

There are four obvious exits: west, east, south, and north.

A Tourist
An Imperial Citizen

off 1157/1157 75/50 2292735 undrugged >
You have entered Leon's Discount Warehouse. Around you is a maze of shelves with just about everything you could possibly imagine. If you feel like digging through all this junk, you might actually find something you need. Leon himself is standing proudly behind the register. Type <panic shop> to begin your shopping experience.

The only obvious exit is west.

Leon

Trashcan is here.

As on the map it tracked the down movement but then lost me because it doesn't read the full room description after the 3 e commands. If I turn off command echo it follows fine but then the mapper will not create new rooms properly.

Any ideas are welcome.

Palek.

Last edited by Palek on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:09 am   

The sendline delay may be what you're looking for. It was recently split into two delays, one just for speedwalking and one for everything else. By playing with that, you may be able to prevent it from interfering without having to adjust anything else about your otherwise working map config.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:20 am   

Matt,
I just tried that, still getting the same results, first time I enter a move to fast and it interrupts the mud output and it misses the move. Seems to me that the command echo should not be interrupting the output from the mud, this affects triggers as well, example:

I have a trigger that matches this text

IF-35D attacks Guard

If I send a command while this is being output the to mud such as

IF-35Dcommand droid to kill guard
attacks Guard

The trigger doesn't fire. All of this is a non issue with command echo turned off.

Thanks,

Palek
Palek
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 am   

Um your post changed, I tried the command imput trigger with #nomap
Palek
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:26 am   

As for the sendline delays, I am not using speedwalking as that is not allowed on the mud, I am manually entering the commands. It looks like these delays relate to speedwalking and sending lines from the editor, neither of which apply to my situation.

Palek
blubberdiblub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm   Re: Command Echo interferes with map tracking.

Palek wrote:

If I turn off command echo it follows fine but then the mapper will not create new rooms properly.

This is probably because the first line of the room description runs together with the prompt (since the prompt is output without a newline, obviously). It does not look so on the screen, because your command puts a newline there, but that's not what is actually received and goes to the trigger.

So I suggest turning off command echo and creating a prompt trigger that intercepts your prompt, substitutes it with an empty string and puts the captured prompt onto the screen itself using #sayprompt. Something like this:

Code:

#trigger myprompt {^(* > )} {#sub "";#sayprompt %1} "" nocr|prompt

If you already have a prompt trigger, just integrate it with that one. Also, you may want to output a different color for the prompt in front of the %1 with %ansi() or whatever.
Palek
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 am   

I have my prompt captured with #setprompt and it works and captures fine regardless of whether I echo commands or not. I believe the issue here is that the command echo is interfering with the mud output, I think this should not be the case.

Palek
Palek
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 am   

I have edited the topic to properly reflect what I think is an issue. Anyone else have problems or have ideas of preventing the command echo from interfering with MUD Output?

Palek
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm   

CMUD echos your command when it gets a packet break from the MUD. If you open the Script Debugger and look at the raw input/output data from the MUD, you'll probably see that the MUD is breaking your room description into different packets. So CMUD thinks the end of the first packet is the end of a MUD prompt and echos your command there.

Usually the MUD itself is sending the room description as a single packet and some other router between your computer and the server is breaking it up. If the breaks are being added by your own computer or your own router/hub there might be some network config settings that will help with that. If the break is being added by your ISP then there isn't much to be done about it.

If your MUD supports the EOR/GA Telnet options for marking the end of a MUD Prompt, then make sure that option is enabled in your CMUD emulation preferences. That should help CMUD determine when a correct MUD prompt is being received. Not sure if that will help with command echo, but it might.

But there really isn't a whole lot CMUD can do in this situation. CMUD wants to echo your command as soon as possible (otherwise people complain that CMUD is slow and lagging since they mistakenly believe that the echo shows when the command is actually sent to the MUD rather than when it's echoed to the screen). So how else can CMUD determine when to echo the command? How does it tell the difference between a MUD prompt (a network packet that doesn't end in a newline) and a description broken into two packets (where the first packet also doesn't end in a newline).
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 pm   

Would commands echoing as a client side prompt resolve this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: