Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
raymondvinzant
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:06 am   

Cmud locks up

My Cmud is not very old, had it about 2 weeks. It is a purchased and licensed download. I have tried to restore my computer to see if the bug is in my computer. Cmud simply stops. I can't even get it to come off my computer with the task manager. I have to shut down my computer force a restart. When I initially installed it, I was able to go onto the internet and play muds. But right now it simply locks up. After a restore, I entered the new license key into the cmud and it started but locked. It continues to show not responding. I have an Asus 64 bit, with Windows 7. I would appreciate a procedure to follow, which will help me to walk through the problem, or which would direct me how to identify the problem so I can repost any additional symptoms.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 pm   

Do you get the splash screen or session window when you start CMUD? Or does it hang only when you try to connect to a specific session? Have you tried deleting (after backup) your CMUD files and reinstalling? If it only started to fail in the past couple of weeks, have you updated any other software, such as antivirus or firewall software that might be interfering with CMUD?
raymondvinzant
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 pm   lockup

I actually deleted the original copy of cmud, reinstalled it and had the same problem. The program works great off line, but if I try and log onto any mud, it lock up. Every other program can access the internet but cmud. Though I did download another telnet client to test the internet link, and it couldn't log on either. I tested the website aardwolf and it was fine. I can reach it through other types of programs, explorer and ping. But for some reason, I can't use cmud to do it. Since I have a 64 bit machine with windows 7, I can't get out. Is there a workaround?
raymondvinzant
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:12 pm   

Haven't checked my firewall software, for blocking it, but I did check to see if it blocked anything that began with cmud.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 pm   

It definitely sounds like a firewall problem.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:01 pm   

CMUD uses the Telnet protocol. If you can't connect to a MUD and if your telnet client also doesn't work, then it definitely sounds like Telnet Protocol is being blocked somewhere on your computer or network. Web sites use HTTP, which is a different protocol. Ping uses ICMP which is another different protocol. So it's easy to have some protocols work and others that don't depending upon your firewall setup. It might also be your ISP that is blocking Telnet, especially if you are at a University or using a corporate network of any kind.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:29 am   

I'm having the same issue almost.

I upgraded to a new laptop with Win 7 64 bit, and downloaded Cmud. I had no issues on my previous laptop which had Vista. Now when I'm playing my games, its like the screen freezes, but Cmud continues to process. I have triggers and other items going on as normal, but I'm unable to see any scroll, or enter any commands.

Things that I've found that lessen the issue is making sure that I keep the settings folder closed. Even then, I still have issues with it hanging up.

I am really frustrated with it. Any suggestions on what I need to look at?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm   

It could be an issue of complex loops trying to process in the main thread, try issuing the following before any loops:
#WAIT 0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 pm   

Its not any complex loops setting it off either. I can be sitting around and talking to somebody - ie, no triggers or aliases going off, and it will do the lockup.

I've tried to figure out what it is that sets it off doing the lockup- but I haven't figured anything out that I'm doing the same.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:03 pm   

Without knowing your scripts, it's hard for us to tell whether or not it is a loop causing the problem. The symptoms certainly match. It might be a trigger you don't realize is firing. Another possibility is a trigger that does not compile. Here are two things you can do. Open the Script Debugger window. If you turn on all the display options, you will be able to see whether Cmud is running any triggers when this happens. You can also open the Package Editor and run File|Compatibility Report. This will tell you whether you have any triggers that don't compile.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 am   

There's no issues with the compatibility report.

I had been using Cmud on Vista, and it worked just fine. I've only had issues since I've moved my files over to my new laptop which has Windows 7 64 bit. I have not changed any of my coding since then, so, I don't know where the difference would be between the two?

I also ran the debugger. Again, no trigger loop issues. The last time it froze this evening was when I was running a more complicated trigger, but there was nothing to debug- the trigger was running correctly. The screen just froze up on me. I have a copy of the debugger window, tho, I had been running it for about an hour before the issue, but the lock up is at the end of the file. So I'm happy to show that part if need be.

The program seems to be continuing to run correctly, but it seems to lock up where I cannot see the current scroll or enter any new commands while it is in this locked up phase.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 am   

The trigger was running when it locked up? Then the problem could be in that trigger. If Cmud is running a trigger, it will not scroll or execute any new commands until that trigger is completed. If the trigger got into a loop, that would explain what you are seeing. You could post the code of this trigger.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 am   

using #WAIT 0 at the start of any such trigger should resolve the issue, no?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am   

Shalimar wrote:
using #WAIT 0 at the start of any such trigger should resolve the issue, no?

I don't think that would be a good solution, but something similar might help track down the problem.

#WAIT causes subsequent code to be processed in a new thread, rather than the main Cmud thread, so if something like an infinite loop is the cause of Cmud freezing, placing that loop in its own thread will allow Cmud's main thread to continue operating, hopefully without interruption. The problem with that is, you still have one or possibly several threads continuing to run and potentially causing other issues.

The #THREAD command does essentially the same thing as #WAIT 0, but lets you give each such thread a name to identify it. That way you can periodically check to see which threads are running and if any are running when they shouldn't be, and especially if you see multiple instances of such a thread, you've probably identified the problem.

eg:
#THREAD // Display a list of all currently running threads. In a regular Cmud session, there will only be one
#THREAD infinite_loop {#WHILE 1 {#NOOP}} // This creates an infinite loop in its own thread named 'infinite_loop'
#THREAD // Display threads again to see that a new thread has been spawned
#STOP infinite_loop // stop the execution of the 'infinite_loop' thread
#THREAD // Display threads again showing the infinite_loop has been terminated

You folks might try placing any potentially unstable code inside of its own thread, as I put the code in red that generates an infinite loop in its own thread. Executing that same code without placing it in its own thread will make Cmud freeze just as you've described. After you've done that, you can periodically use the #THREAD command manually without any arguments to see which threads are running. If you see threads running when they shouldn't be, and especially if you see multiple instances of a thread, you've probably identified whatever is causing Cmud to hang.

raymondvinzant wrote:
Cmud simply stops. I can't even get it to come off my computer with the task manager. I have to shut down my computer force a restart.
I don't think getting Cmud stuck in a loop can cause this behavior, so the method I've described probably won't help you, raymond.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 am   

It doesn't just happen when I'm running a trigger. In fact its happened when I've had triggers completely turned off. It is NOT an infinite loop problem that I'm experiencing!
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 am   

I did just find another post where another user was experiencing an issue similar to mine where they were using Kaspersky anti-virus. This is what I have on my computer currently. I'm going to try disabling it, and see if that resolves the issues.
DMJY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 am   

although I don;'t know the reason,I think there must be some special reason,so you don't worry about it.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 pm   

Ah, you hadn't actually answered Zugg's question about anti-virus software. That could definitely be it.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 pm   

@Rehab, Zugg's original comments were not to me, they were to the original poster. The OP had issues even connecting.

As my issue is during my connection and only for a minute or so at a time (which happens randomly, not caused by triggers or incompatibility), I didn't really think to much about the firewall. If it was a firewall issue, shouldn't I have issues connecting, or staying connected at all?

The post I found about Kaspersky was this http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=134650
See the bottom post about Kaspersky.

I've now whitelighted CMUD completely, but I'm still experiencing some issues, tho not as bad as before. The lockup time seems to be less, and happens less frequently.

I'll be testing having Kaspersky completely disabled this evening and see if that alleviates the problem completely.

@Zugg, do you have a recommendation for A-V software that won't bog my PC down too much and will cooperate with CMUD?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:10 pm   

My opinion is that is still sounds like a script issue rather than an A-V issue. But if somebody else had issues with Kaspersky then I guess it's worth trying. I personally use Avast and have never had any trouble with it. It is updated quickly when new viruses come out (better than Norton or McAfee). I find it similar to AVG but my personal experience is that AVG was slower than Avast. Could just be that Avast has a nice spinning task-bar icon that shows when it is doing something so you can easily tell if a system slow-down is related to Avast or not.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:07 pm   

Disabling Kaspersky completely seems to have resolved this issue. I also found a setting in it that makes it stop scanning if I have something full screened, which more often than not, I am while using CMUD. That setting seems to also make things run smoothly as well.

Looks like I'm going to be giving a new A-V software a go.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 pm   

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I'll add this to my support list when I get emails like this. Never would have guessed that A-V could interfere at such a level. Kaspersky is now on my same "don't use" list as Norton and McAfee. Sad.
Ithilion
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:00 pm   

I use Avast too, btw. I've never ever had an issue with it.
atreus
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:13 pm   

Hi,

I just heard about CMud from a friend earlier today, downloaded and installed the trial (version 3.34) and connected to my MUD of choice. Less than 1 hour after installation CMud froze and now it flatly refuses to work anymore. The moment i try to connect the client freezes, the window can't be moved and cmud.exe takes up exactly 50% CPU (effectively tapping out one of my 2 CPU cores).

Before this happened, I had created exactly two static triggers, both of which cause a static response eg. receiving the text "You wake up." sends the command "regenerate", no aliases, variables, macros or anything. Just the two static triggers.

This is a fresh Windows installation (approx. 3 weeks old) and I don't see any reason why this would be a firewall or anti-virus issue since the client did connect and work without problems or AV complaints to begin with. Here's some system specs:

HP Elitebook 8730W
Intel Core2Duo CPU (T9600 @ 2.8GHz)
4GB RAM
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
64-bit Windows 7 Professional

Probably needless to say but right now, at this moment, I am less than convinced I would want to spend $30 on the software, but I do hope an issue of this magnitude can be pinpointed and fixed.

.atr.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 pm   

The only fixes you'll get are the ones that involve you changing software to avoid conflicts between the Armadillo security wrapper and stuff like AV software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: