Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 pm   

yearly test, Cmud still don't work for multiplaying.

Edit: posted wrong forum, SORRY
Well I've done my yearly test of cmud... and conclusion .. BACK to Zmud..

From the first day cmud came out, I've been testing, and while running 1 character, it runs GREAT...
as soon as I add a 2nd character, everything goes to down hill.

setup is win 7 laptop that has never had cmud loaded on it.
NO files are imported from zmud, I created all new triggers, and settings manually.

This time, within 30 secs of loading a 2nd character, everything went wrong....
1, Aliases in a package only assigned to character 1, were running on character 2
2, when running with 1 character, I created a chat window, for a communication type stuff to go into, this worked fine with 1 character. When logging off, and logging back in, my chats window suddenly went full screen, and seems to have eaten the character window. I had disconnected and reconnected several times with no issues when only running 1 character. I assume this is the age old issue of corrupting a profile... as I can't even get this character logged in singly now.
At this point, I gave up..

I'd be happy to purchase cmud, if only it would work...
If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know what it is......

Maybe multi-playing is only applicable to certain mudds, but I know others that play my mudd have given up on cmud too.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm   

I would say you are doing something wrong most likely. I haven't logged on my multiplay mud in a while due to the fact it died off but CMUD worked fine for me best I can remember with three accounts going at once. I can try to log in to the MUD I used to play and see how things go/re familiarize my self with the setup and give some tips.
CMUD 3.34
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm   

Multiplaying works great for me.
I play with two characters on the same MUD.
I use the same package on both (duplicate packages - i.e. open the same session two times). I don't want to create two different packages because I hold all my settings for all guilds in one big package.
I only have to make small adjustments for the map to track both characters every time I want to multiplay, but otherwise it just works GREAT !
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 pm   

do you do anything with a chat, or a window that dont connect to anything.

That seems to be how all my inheritances get messed up.
I want ONE window that can be written to with both characters, and every time I do it, it goes wild.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm   

Wait, I just re-read...
you open the same session twice ?
what good is that ?
I have one warrior, and one spell-caster, I don't want them each to have the same aliases, and triggers.

I open session A for character 1, and session B for character 2.
some packages for session A are the same (I have one that has stuff that's the same for all chars)
and then I have packages that are different for each session (warrior package, caster package)
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:13 pm   

ecourt wrote:
do you do anything with a chat, or a window that dont connect to anything.

No, nothing like that.

ecourt wrote:
you open the same session twice ?
what good is that ?

It's just how one considers things to be best organized.
I see your point but I prefer all my settings to be in a ONE big package.
I activate the guild subsets as needed as you can see in this picture:

ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:00 pm   

Yeah, If I tried to do that, I'd forget to turn something on, wind up trying to cast with my mele characters, and get killed.. again...

this one little package, when assigned to 2 characters, cause cmud to crash and corrupt profiles.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
- <cmud>
- <class name="chats">
- <trigger priority="140">
  <pattern>%1 gossips, '%2'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(brown)%1 gossips: %2</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="50">
  <pattern>You gossip, '%1'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): you gossips: %1</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="60">
  <pattern>^%1 tells your clan, '%2'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(high,magenta)%1 tells your clan: %2</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="70">
  <pattern>You tell your clan, '%1'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(high,magenta) You tell your clan: %1</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="80">
  <pattern>^%1 tells you, '%2'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(white)%1 tells you: %2</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="90">
  <pattern>%1 says, '%2'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(yellow)%1 says: %2</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="100">
  <pattern>You say, '%2'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(yellow)You say: %2</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="110">
  <pattern>%1 tells the group, '%2'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(green)%1 groupsays: %2</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="120">
  <pattern>You group say, '%1'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(green)you groupsay: %1</value>
  </trigger>
- <trigger priority="130">
  <pattern>You petition, '%1'</pattern>
  <value>#window chats %time(hh:nn:ss a/p): %ansi(high,cyan)You Petition: %1</value>
  </trigger>
  </class>
  </cmud>

No one has any thoughts ?
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm   

First off, your trigger patterns should never contain %1 and %2. They worked in zMUD, but that was more a bug than a feature that just never got corrected. Instead, change it to proper wildcards like (*) and the like.

Second, no need to put the time in there unless you're also logging it. You can actually set a window option to display timestamps very nearly as you have it yourself. This is my chat window (messages redacted):

All you need to do is click on the chat window, then click on 'Preferences'. The option is under Session -> Scrollback -> Show timestamps.

Not sure why you're having problems, though. What error do you get when it crashes? Do you still get them after you've correctly changed your wildcard patterns?
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 pm   

Will give it a shot...

When I say crash, it's not usually a full zmud crash (I have gotten crashes before), it's generally I get black windows in cmud, and I can't type or connect, or see anything on them.

Then when I end cmud, and reconnect, I just get a big chat window, and nothing else. the session never connects.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:11 pm   

Made the changes (changed all the %1's to (*) )
didn't seem to make much difference, right of, soon as I open the 2nd session, I see that a package that was assigned to session 1 seems to be inherited into session 2. all the aliases and triggers for the package assigned to session 1 are working on session 2.
When I open the session window, and check properties on the session, I see that the package assigned to session 1 is not assigned to session 2.

and to match, the package assigned to session 2, is now assigned to session 1 as well.
now when I type rr (and alias for rescue on a mele character) my caster tries to rescue...

To boot, if I set the packages to local, the aliases and triggers don't work on either session. Setting it to global makes them work on all sessions.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 pm   

You have two separate sessions for both your players? Are the pkg files titled differently? Are they both in the same folder? If you'd like, you can email me your uncorrupted pkg files (if you have them) and the connection info for your MUD and I can see if I might be able to identify the reason, possibly make it all work together in harmony. PM me if you're interested.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 pm   

I sent my package files to Charneus, he checked them out...

He did suggest moving the chat window into a package that has triggers and aliases for all characters, this was a good idea, and did make the chat window seem to work better.

no solution for aliases and triggers that seem to work for both sessions. (not without adding code to EVERY trigger, alias, alert, and path to make them run for only the assigned session.)

Still random crashes (sent to them to zuggsoft) when loading 2nd session, or closing 1 session.

With 2 sessions open, and I open the mapper for one session, it WILL NOT allow you to open a map for the other session, even if you close the mapper.

I love the new mapper, and the scripting seems to work way better, certainly more consistent in how it works.

I'm still open to suggestions
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:12 pm   

Did you put the map in a separate shared package?
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 pm   

not in a shared package, it's in each session package.
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 pm   

Well, try it in a shared package.
That's how I use it.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm   

I just did, crashed (GPF's) about 5 times... So even if I move the map to a shared package... when I hit the MAP button up top, it opens the map for whatever session I have highlighted.
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:56 pm   

So:
1. move map to a separate package
2. edit the two session packages to use the map shared package
3. launch the two sessions
4. launch the map
5. check in every session if and what the map is tracking. (use #LOC in both windows)
6. I'll recommend clearing the LOCATIONS (if any) for both sessions (for every session window do: View/Locations/Delete/Ok)
7. Start new locations for both session windows; for every session window do:
7.1. for first session window: #LOC <first_character> <room_number> blue; #TRACK <first_character>
7.2. for second session window: #LOC <second_character> <another_room_number> sienna; #TRACK <second_character>

This works for me. Hoping for you too.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 am   

So any chance any of this is fixed in 3.33a ?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 pm   

1) It's not clear to me what "this" is still unresolved. Bothkill told you how to fix the last problem remaining that I see you mentioning, and you didn't say whether you did that and what the result was.
2) As far as I know, there won't be a 3.33a. 3.32 was found to be stable, with no major problems. When Zugg starts development again, he will presumably start version 4.xx.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:22 pm   

not one single issue was fixed.
moving the chat window to a shared package made it work a little better, it's not fixed, Still GPF's, just a little less often.

when loading multiple packages, they seem to apply to all sessions loaded.
and I REFUSE to write every trigger and alias with a line that check for which session it's hitting against.
I don't do this in zmud, why would I do it for a 'newer better' product ?

yeah 3.33 was a typo, sorry.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:00 pm   

You still haven't said whether you implemented Bothkill's last suggestion.

Please explain how you are making your sessions. The best way to do it, from what I understand, is to make a session for character A with all its windows and packages, another session for character B with all its windows and packages, and then a third session which loads both of those. Is this what you are doing?

Then give a step-by-step procedure for what you are doing and what happens. The descriptions you gave earlier in this thread do not give enough detail to understand exactly what is happening, let alone why.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm   

FYI NO ONE can follow bothkill's suggestions
#1 a map will not move into any package, it attaches to the session it's opened in.
#2 the map is the least of my problems.

as I've explained many times,
I load session 1, which is character1, which has 2 packages, and 1 package that applies to all my characters.
load session 2, which is character2, which has 2 packages, and the same shared package as above.
there is no 3rd session, in the years I've been explaining this, no one has ever mentioned needing a 3rd session to play 2 sessions.
On top of that, I woulnd't want ONE session to load 2 other sessions, because I don't always play the same characters together.

same thing I've been saying for over 2 years.
with one session, cmud works great.
when trying to multi-play, it don't work...
I've heard this same thing from the 40 people that play our mudd, NONE of them have been able to get cmud to work when double playing.
So either we're all stupid, it's too obsecure for us to figure out, or it don't work.
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:13 pm   

1) Have two sessions, let's call them Apples and Oranges.
2) Open both sessions in Cmud.
3) Press Ctrl+G to open the package editor.
4) Click on the main package of the first session which we're calling Apples.
5) Click on the main module of that package. This should be the Apples window.
6) Along the bottom of the package editor you should see an 'Options' tab, an 'Advanced' tab and an 'XML' tab. Click on 'Advanced'
7) In the right side of the package editor you should now see a list under the heading 'List of packages enabled for this window'. Disable all of the packages you want disabled, in this case everything to do with Oranges.
8) Repeat steps 4-7 for the Oranges window by disabling all 'Apples' packages.
9) Profit!
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:20 pm   

Quote:
8) Repeat steps 4-7 for the Oranges window by disabling all 'Apples' packages.

Shocked
<-- has 35 characters..... and not that kind of time... I like to play sometime too
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm   

Humor me. Load two sessions and try it. It'll take a whopping ten seconds or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: