Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
khil
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 pm   

Using values in value name (headache)

First time poster here.
Could somebody point me to a guide, or explain to me how can I succesfully use some values in value name (hard to define a search for that),
i.e. what brackets to use and if it is possible at all.

For example I am trying to write a script, where for each current team member a gauge will be created with their name as caption, their HP as value and "protect <name>",
as command when pressed.

Got all member names written into string $team, separated with white space,

#GAUGE D0 %item(@T0,1) @hp0 7 3 Team green red white //for team leader since he was captured separatly
#loop %numwords($team) {#GAUGE D%i %item(@T%i, 1) @hp%i 7 3 Team green red white} // rest of team (using %item(@T%i, 1) to access proper declination for name, as the MUD is not English.

Atm it doesn't work at all, which bothers me because something as simple as

#var D%i something ,works quite well.

Optionally how can I define the positioning of the buttons with the same (probably with XML, but dont reall know how to do that)
And is there a way to use brackets to use %alarm(name) as gauge value (using #alarm {*1} {timer=%alarm(name)} - to update value right now)

Thanks
khil
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:54 pm   

Mhm... OK i attempted few more combinations and got the @{D%i} syntax myself Very Happy

Still, how can i define the button position, w/o resorting to #call %pref(DefaultButton, something) before the loop.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:08 am   

Buttons are almost always created via the GUI.
As such its not really good practice to create buttons willy-nilly in this manner.
I would suggest you figure out the max number of guages you will need and create/align them all up how you want.
Then make a stringlist of all the buttonID's for these guages.
Then use triggers and such to link players to the button via script:
Code:
#TR {(%w) joins the group} {
   $buttonIDs=teamGauge1|teamGuage2|etc
   #FORALL $buttonIDs {#IF (!%class(%i)) {
      #ADDKEY teammates {%1=%i}
      #T+ %i
      #BREAK
   }}
}
#TR {(%w) leaves the group} {
   $left=@{teammates.%1}
   #DELKEY teammates %1
   #T- $left
}

This way reuses the same buttons over and over instead of trying to create and destroy buttons ad nauseum.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 pm   

Thx, for the answer, but I am still looking to create buttons dynamically (call me stubborn)
The solution you have given is already in place. I was even thinking to do something in terms of assigning every button to a separate class (tedious I know),
to be able to make them appear in an exact number I want (atm i have set of 10 or 20 depending on team size)

I read help for the extended #button command script, used in import/export, but is it some old Zmud help, as I see it. All export import in CMUD seems to be XML based now.
If it still has some use could somebody paste an example of a gauge button save as #button (many many arguments, I have trouble getting it right).

How can i write a button directly in XML? :(

And again, why cant i use %alarm(time) as gauge value?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:31 pm   

Don't try writing it directly in XML.

The #button command does not have all of the functionality available in the Package Editor. There are some things you simply cannot do with the #button command. What functionality exists in #button is documented in the help pages.
khil
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:18 pm   

Yeah, I am starting to see the limitations now. However i got quite far. Asked my friend to paste me some Zmud gauge export, and got to this
Code:
#loop %numitems($team) {
$caption=%item(@{D%i}, 1)
$pr=%item(@{D%i}, 2)
$hp="@{hp%1}"
$move=50+%i*50
#BUTTON D%i {$caption} {protect $pr)} {} {} {$hp} {} {} {Size} {50} {20} {Pos} {$move} {1} {11} {} {Gauge|12|7|3|2} {} {Butts} {Explore|Inset} {} {3}
}

The main problem is being unable to use $hp in gauge value name and $move to position them (I tried to go around the problem using all those localvars)
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:10 pm   

For the $hp, you have the %1 within the quotation marks, so it is not being expanded. Try this:
Code:
$hp = %concat("@hp",%1)

For the $move, you are not performing a mathematical calculation. Enclosing it within parentheses will cause it to be a mathematical calculation. Try:
Code:
$move = (50+(%i * 50))
khil
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:07 pm   

Thanks for the clarification, i was missing that!

But in this case, #button function will simply write $hp or $move in the value box, not its actual value. Also i doesnt parse the %i from loop well either.
For $team consisting of 3 players, the result are 3 buttons with Name1|Name2|Name3 as caption each.
I am close to give up on that, unless somebody tells me how to obtain a zscript export of existing gauge, to reverse engineer it, but considering above failures in parsing i doubt.

Little request, could we have a little extra argument for %btnenable to make it disabled (disappear), besides disactivating it.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:38 pm   

For your little request, all you need to do is use #T- buttonid (and #T+ buttonid) to remove (or return) the button from the screen.

For the other problem, you might be able to use #EXEC to run the button command with parsing. I haven't tried that. Otherwise, I think you are out of luck. The #BUTTON code has not been modified much since version 2, and simply does not understand many of the version 3 improvements to Cmud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: