Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
marduk
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:04 am   

mapper step delay

I hope this isn't a stupid question :| but, I've looked all around for answer.

I have 3.32, and I'm playing an IRE mud. So, when speedwalking using the mapper, I need a definable delay between each step. I remember, in a previous version of CMUD, this was a text box in the Speedwalking tab of the configuration settings. Now, though, I can't find anything like that.

Is this setting gone, or am I just missing the obvious?
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:42 am   

To add a delay between steps sent by the mapper do the following:
Alt+O
select general
Select Scripting from the buttons on the left
Select General Scripting from the tabs on the top and set the delay between sending lines (in milliseconds) to what you want.

**EDIT**
If you want a bit of randomness added to the delay time, check out the Path_Replacement package I just uploaded to the Utility category of the library. It works with the mapper if you specify the tokey of the room you want to walk to, or you can use regular speedwalk paths with it walking in both forward and reverse directions.
CMUD 3.34
marduk
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 am   

The problem is, I don't want that delay to occur when sending all lines to the mud, especially when fighting. I want the delay only for speedwalking using the mapper. It sounds like I'm going to have to do this manually.

It's too bad that parameter was removed from the speedwalking config tab.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 pm   

The package I posted in the library will do what you want just not by double clicking on the map.

**edit**

Gave bad instructions first time. Will post something better in a minute.

**edit**
1. download the Path_replacement package from the utility category of the Library.
2. open the package up in the session you want to use it in.
3. copy the whole paths class to your main session.
4. delete the path_replacement tab from the session.
5. Set your delays as described in the package instructions.
6. right click the room you want to speedwalk to on the map and save the path as run
7. type mrun on the command line.

That is ofcourse if you don't feel like putting this together yourself.
CMUD 3.34
marduk
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm   

Cool. I will keep that package in mind. Now, though, I am interested in creating a solution :)

Thanks!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 pm   

Quote:

I remember, in a previous version of CMUD, this was a text box in the Speedwalking tab of the configuration settings.

Just for completeness's sake, you remember wrongly. There was never such a thing as a delay only for speedwalking. The closest thing we ever had to that is probably the safe-mode limiter, but in playing with that for a little bit it seems to prevent speedwalks longer than X instead of stepping through them in blocks of X directions.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:50 pm   

Negative. I distinctly remember setting a step delay for speedwalking when using the mapper. I recall using it to get my speedwalking to work "just right" on Achaea. It may have been as early as zmud, though.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:19 pm   

There was a step delay in zmud for only speedwalking. I wasn't around for the first year or so of CMUD's existence, so I'm not sure why it never made it into the program. It's still possible to do in CMUD, it just takes a few extra clicks.

Happy Turkey Day.
CMUD 3.34
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:22 am   

No, there was not anything like that just for speedwalking. If you set it in Zmud, it would affect all commands, just as it does in Cmud. That feature has not changed, and there no feature just for speedwalking in Zmud.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 am   

When I posted I was just going by a dialog I remember seeing once upon a time. I pulled up the map pref's window in 7.21 and saw the step delay there. Not having used zMUD in a while, I just took the wording of the tool-tip for face value. I just checked and as you said if you set the step delay in the mapper config window the send line delay will be changed to match. Sorry for the misleading info.
CMUD 3.34
marduk
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:44 pm   

Hmmm. I see (I stand corrected, MattLofton). This may require a new post, but it pertains to my original question, so I'll give it a shot:

Is it possible to code a step delay in a speedwalking path that is initiated by double-clicking the map that is independent of any delay set for send line?

This may be a moot point, since I was unaware of the fact that my step delay was actually a send line delay in the past, but I'd like to know if it's possible to separate the two.

I appreciate the help!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:40 pm   

Zugg can build anything he wants, being that he's King CodeMonkey around here. It's just a matter of pulling him out of his "copious amount of free time" to make it happen or at least figure out why it can't be done.

For a scripting solution, what I would do is set up a menu or button with a caption to display the current status of the sendline delay. The code of this menu would allow me to change the sendline delay to a speedwalking-friendly value via the %pref() function. Once the sendline delay is properly configured for speedwalking, you could then double-click the map to speedwalk. Once the walk ends, the onWalkEnd event fires automatically and in that event you can do whatever is necessary to reset the sendline delay.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 pm   

I meant a scripting solution :D

You've definitely given me a great starting point. Thanks for your help.
VeldrinCrescent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 am   

I use

#if (%destroom()=-1) {#CALL %pref(SendDelay,0)} {#CALL %pref(SendDelay,350)}

in the prompt event though it gives the problem of that it'll change the senddelay even if you're just moving a single room, but it will mean that generally speaking it'll be at 0
Hemdall
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:08 pm   

I use as SendDelay to set speed of speedwalking just like in example above but I've noticed strange thing - very often when i doubleclick another destination room before reaching last room from active walk all directions are sent to mud instantly even if SendDelay is set to 3500. The second thing is that my character is actually moving much faster with SendDelay set to 1 than with SendDelay set to 0. It's never happened in v2.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm   

I recall there was a speedwalking delay in the speedwalking tab on the mapper, but I think it was just another way to set the global command delay from the main settings. Any value I'd set in the speedwalking tab would show up in the main settings. In later Cmud versions the field where it resided in the speedwalker seemed to have been retasked to a different purpose. I can't recall exactly which version this happened, but I clearly remember it happening because I had to go into it and reset my delay.

I've often wondered about this value. It's always been essential that I set this value so that my speedwalking works properly. However, I can't see how this affects other commands being sent. I don't see my responses from my prompt triggers delayed with this, so I'm left wondering when this delay is used outside speedwalking? Can't we just have a speedwalking delay and not have it affect anything else? That's probably what 99.9% of the people use it for anyway.
Hemdall
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:58 pm   

I would say it affects commands sent to mud by #send and anything sent to mud from editor. Anyway what bothers me the most are those flaws in speedwalking - I had no problem at all in very fast moving character in v2 and in the new version I have got a lot problems with it. I try to find the reason but so far without success, but as I mentioned in post above there must be something wrong with SendDelay unless it is expected to ignore this setting after changing destination point while walk is active.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 am   

Quote:
Can't we just have a speedwalking delay and not have it affect anything else? That's probably what 99.9% of the people use it for anyway.

I would agree. Being able to set a delay specifically for speedwalking would be great, and I am pretty sure I asked about that a long time ago. I don't want any other commands to be delayed.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:12 pm   

In CMUD the Send Delay is used in the "StepAhead" and "StepBehind" routines, in the Action/Send File to Server command, and in the Send All function of the Editor when sending a multi-line script to the MUD.

The StepAhead and StepBehind routines are called by most speedwalking routines including the mapper.

The Send Delay does *not* effect multiple commands on the command line like it did in zMUD. It also does *not* effect the #send command. I will update the tooltip for this setting in the next update.

However, in a future version I'll try to separate the Send Delay from the Send File and Editor commands.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:03 pm   

Zugg: Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still a little hazy on where I'd experience this delay in practice (outside of the mapper step). Are Action/Send File to Server and Send All function of the Editor things that many people are using? They don't ring any bells for me so I'm wondering if I've used them or whether they are a feature I've never used.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 pm   

Since it was easy, I went ahead and created a new Line Delay preference that is used for the Editor and Send File and have added it to the Preferences. In the next update, the Send Delay is *only* used for speedwalking.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 am   

Cool. Thanks for the change!
marduk
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 pm   

Yes! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: