Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:10 am   

Cmud Goes Crazy...

I really have no idea what happened to cause this. I got a message popup asking me to agree to the Cmud license again...not sure why. I click agree and then my Sessions all vanish and Cmud acts all weird. The Session Window is just blank. The actual Session folders and packages were still there, but everything that was in the Session Window vanished. So I uninstall Cmud, delete the Cmud folder from My Games and also from the hard drive. I then reinstall Cmud completely and the Sessions window is STILL blank. All the default sessions that normally show are gone. All the artwork icons are gone and not sure how to replace those.

Last edited by oldguy2 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 am   

Additionally, I just browsed the Help file and everywhere there should be graphics, it has a red Offline message.

Also I clicked to Get Updates on the Help files and got the following message:

Quote:
There was an error download the help update:
Socket Error # 1101
Host not found.

So it seems a server crashed? I am curious though why this would affect the Sessions window and how it would be tied to any server.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:42 am   

Okay well I can't use Cmud at all now. I reinstall and it creates a new My Games/Cmud folder on my C drive. I moved this to My Documents, and then when I reopened Cmud I got the popup asking me to agree to the license agreement again. I scroll down and agree, open Cmud, and then it opens up again to the Session window but it opens to the Create New Session window asking me to enter the name of the new Mud session...
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:21 am   

I can no longer connect to any mud. I can't do anything. Even if I enter the address and port number it says host name not found blah blah. Cmud keeps creating a new My Games/Cmud folder in C: drive and sessions will not show, even though all the folders are install/created.

I did absolutely nothing to cause any of this that I know of and have no idea what caused it. The only thing I can think of is that CC Cleaner maybe deleted something, but have ran it multiple times before and Cmud did not do this.

I am really frustrated. Neutral
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 am   

If you use a firewall make sure that it isn't blocking cMUD. You could also make sure that proxy-settings in cMUD are correct, options->general->network.

You could also take a look using regedit at This Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zuggsoft\CMUD. Is there a DataDir entry and is it set to "%DOCUMENTS%\My Games\CMUD"? Is there a InstallDir entry and does it refer to cMUD.exe?
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am   

Rorso wrote:
If you use a firewall make sure that it isn't blocking cMUD. You could also make sure that proxy-settings in cMUD are correct, options->general->network.

You could also take a look using regedit at This Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zuggsoft\CMUD. Is there a DataDir entry and is it set to "%DOCUMENTS%\My Games\CMUD"? Is there a InstallDir entry and does it refer to cMUD.exe?

Yes there is. I got it to connect by creating a session and having to enter the actual IP address. It can't find names. I have no idea what the hell is going on. It is very weird. Why would it create the folders in the root directory and not in My Documents?
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm   

oldguy2 wrote:

Yes there is. I got it to connect by creating a session and having to enter the actual IP address. It can't find names. I have no idea what the hell is going on. It is very weird. Why would it create the folders in the root directory and not in My Documents?

Are you able to lookup that IP if you use "nslookup hostnameHere"(e.g nslookup www.google.com) in a console window on that machine?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:04 pm   

If you are playing with stuff like "CC Cleaner" that mess with your registry then hopefully you did a System Save Point before running it and you can do a System Restore to the registry before running CC Cleaner. Whenever messing with the registry it is *extremely* important to make registry backups. I've had really bad luck with those kind of tools and never use them anymore.

Messing with the registry can definitely cause the copy protection in CMUD to think you have tampered with something and reset the license. But the only other thing CMUD uses the registry for is the location of your user session data files, which is set if you just run the CMUD installer.

The zuggsoft server has not gone down at all, so if you had network errors getting help updates then that also indicates some serious problems on your computer. If it cannot get names for IP addresses, then your DNS is messed up. If it creates the "My Games/CMUD" directory in your root drive, then that means the registry entry in Windows called %DOCUMENTS% that is supposed to point to your My Documents directory is correct.

I really think that you have done some serious damage to Windows somehow and at this point you really need to reinstall Windows itself. I'm worried that even if you fix CMUD that you will have all sorts of weird little problems with your computer now in other programs too. Whether it was CC Cleaner or something else, something definitely trashed your system registry.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:08 am   

Well except I didn't do anything to the registry. Even if I tell Cmud where I want to install the User Sessions File Folder, it is not able to read pull up the information. Cmud is the only application having a problem. It cannot find My Documents it says. I am not sure what is going on. I guess I will figure it out.

I was trying to find some answers. It seems this person had the same problem with a different game.

Oh well.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:56 am   

When I look at the Edit Session dialog where it has Host Name and Address, it has Use Proxy Server checked and I cannot uncheck it because it is disabled and grayed out. Therefore, it will not allow me to enter the IP address.

Cmud is the ONLY application having any problems. It's like something is blocking it from doing anything. The registry settings look fine.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 am   

Rorso wrote:
oldguy2 wrote:

Are you able to lookup that IP if you use "nslookup hostnameHere"(e.g nslookup www.google.com) in a console window on that machine?

Yep
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm   

oldguy2 wrote:
When I look at the Edit Session dialog where it has Host Name and Address, it has Use Proxy Server checked and I cannot uncheck it because it is disabled and grayed out. Therefore, it will not allow me to enter the IP address.

Cmud is the ONLY application having any problems. It's like something is blocking it from doing anything. The registry settings look fine.

If you would like to enter an IP address you can do it in the host field. I assume pressing the "Lookup" button doesn't work?

As nslookup works it really sounds like some kind of firewall problem. What firewall software do you use?
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:13 pm   

No it's not the Firewall. It's Cmud. Cmud cannot find My Documents or host names. Lookup button doesn't work no. I enter the IP address in the Host Name to connect.

Like I said, Cmud popped up some dialog asking me to agree or something and then ever since then it has been doing this. I just wish I had took a snapshot instead of clicking agree and moving on.

For instance, if I click on File menu in the editor to open a package it says it can't find My Documents when I click on My Documents folder in the dialog. It says the following:

The My Documents folder count not be found. Right-click the My Documents icon, click Properties, and then check that the path to your target folder location is correct.

If I open my user profile in that same dialog it has this for My Documents:

%s's Documents

This is not correct.

If I click that and open it, it opens the My Documents folder and for My Pictures and My Music and so on it shows:

%s's Pictures
%s's Music
%s's Movies

If I do right click My Documents it shows the Target Location as:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents

user is my name obviously.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:33 pm   

If you got a popup about the CMUD license, then *something* DID mess with your registry. Messing with the registry is the only way to cause your license to get reset.

I'm really at a loss. If you really deleted everything and reinstalled, there is just no way for this kind of stuff to happen. For example, to get your My Documents path, CMUD just calls a Windows API routine to return that information. That's it. If Windows doesn't return the correct information, then CMUD won't work. But there is nothing I can do in CMUD to effect this.

So as you said, something in Windows is doing something to CMUD. You might right-click on the CMUD.EXE icon and select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab to make sure Windows didn't turn something on in there.

Quote:
it has Use Proxy Server checked and I cannot uncheck it because it is disabled

That is normal. This option is grayed out unless you click the Prefs button, go to the Network page and then select your Proxy server.

However, you do not need to enable the "Use Proxy Server" option just to enter an IP address. You can *always* enter an IP address into the Host field instead of a host name

And again, to convert a hostname to an IP address CMUD just calls a Windows API routine. So once again it sounds like Windows is not supplying the correct information to CMUD somehow.

But I've never seen anything like this. I'd still suggest reinstalling Windows.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:43 pm   

I know me either. It has the right values in the registry. I'm still trying to figure it out though.

Also, I realize there is not much you can do with Cmud itself to fix this, but it is Cmud having the issues so I posted here trying to find some answers perhaps.

Any idea why it would replace "My" with "%s's"? What would cause that to happen?

This is what the Registry shows:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zuggsoft\CMUD

Name:      Type   Data

aid:       REG_SZ   C:\Downloads\cmud332_setup.exe
ddate:      REG_SZ   12/10/2010 6:23:34
InstallDir:   REG_SZ   C:\Program Files\CMUD\CMUD.exe
Pubinfo:   REG_SZ   Zuggsoft

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zuggsoft\CMUD

Name:      Type   Data
DataDir:   REG_SZ   C:\CMUD Sessions <--I set it here when I reinstalled thinking it might help.
InstallDir:   REG_SZ   C:\Program Files\CMUD\CMUD.exe
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:52 pm   

Never mind. I am just going to reload Windows. This is dumb. I guess I will spend a week reupdating and downloading. Sad
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:13 pm   

If you just do a "Repair" installation of Windows, you won't need to reinstall all of your apps. And even if you do, it's not really too bad. I just did this last week on my laptop. I upgraded it's hard disk and then took the opportunity to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. This requires a "clean" install of Windows 7, so I had to reinstall all of my apps, including my entire Delphi development environment, web development software, etc. Lots of stuff to install. But with a backup of my data files it only took me 2 days to get it all up and running.

But a "repair" install of the same version of Windows you are already running should be a lot easier. Yes, you'll re-run Windows Update, but that's not too bad...just a few hours.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm   

Well maybe a few hours for you. Razz I just reloaded the entire drive. Something malicious got onto my drive somewhere. When I went to view the properties of My Documents again it showed Size and Size on disk starting at like 110 MB and it suddenly started increasing like a counter and next thing I know its up to 8 GB already and the file count was tremendous. There was nothing being written to that folder that I could see. I've never seen anything like it. Also yeah I have to reinstall all of Visual Studio and Adobe Creative Suite and so on. The one thing nice about this, I got rid of 6 years of clutter. I've never had a virus or anything but I guess sooner or later it happens.
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:24 am   

This just happened to me as well.
I ran nothing. I opened c mud, was asked to accept the terms and found all my preferences gone.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm   

Okay so I figured out the entire cause of all of this! It was Avira anti-virus. After I did a recovery and started fresh, I had the older download of Avira on backup. So I just loaded that. Cmud was fine. However, Avira kept showing a popup that the new version was available. I download the new version, like I had before, then run update. As soon as I updated with the latest updates, I got the popup from Cmud asking me to agree to the license again and all my sessions vanished and the session window opened to the dialog screen where you create a new session...

Sooo I uninstall Avira completely, reboot, and Cmud is completely back to normal.

Now I just need to find another anti-virus program.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 pm   

Quote:
I ran nothing. I opened c mud, was asked to accept the terms and found all my preferences gone.

That's usually a different problem. That usually happens when you do not install CMUD to the correct location and CMUD is not able to save your preferences. When installing CMUD, be sure to select the %DOCUMENTS% option for the location of your User Session data files. That will put your preferences into the My Documents\My Games\CMUD directory. That is different than the computer-specific issue that OldGuy2 is reporting here.

Quote:
Now I just need to find another anti-virus program.

Wow, I'll add Avira to my list of software to never use! I can recommend Avast. I use both the Free and the paid version and have never had any trouble. I also used to use AVG, but like Avast better. Avast has a nice icon in the system tray that animates when it's checking something for a virus so you can always tell if any system slowdown is because of the anti-virus or not. The free personal version also has free updates, even though it requires you to "register" (for free) each year.

A few years ago when a new virus came out that I was watching, Avast updated itself more quickly than McAfee to detect it. So they seem to be on top of things.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 pm   

Yeah I went with Microsoft's Security Essentials. The only thing I don't like is the automatic updating. It always seems to start downloading when I am connected to the MUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm   

Quote:
The only thing I don't like is the automatic updating

True, it can be annoying. But if you are like me and only reboot my computer every few weeks, automatic updates are the only thing that keep me protected. When a new nasty virus is released, you want your anti-virus updated asap. So I like auto updates. Especially since Avast just displays a popup message about the update and doesn't otherwise cause any problems. If just the virus database is updated it doesn't disturb anything else I might be in the middle of doing.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 am   

Zugg wrote:

True, it can be annoying. But if you are like me and only reboot my computer every few weeks, automatic updates are the only thing that keep me protected. When a new nasty virus is released, you want your anti-virus updated asap. So I like auto updates. Especially since Avast just displays a popup message about the update and doesn't otherwise cause any problems. If just the virus database is updated it doesn't disturb anything else I might be in the middle of doing.

I was writing a long post about my views on antivirus software before I realized it was off topic so I will just write this; some viruses/trojans on the Internet seem to change shape every day so antivirus software might not be able to detect it.
Badmonster
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:50 am   

Zugg wrote:
Quote:

That's usually a different problem. That usually happens when you do not install CMUD to the correct location and CMUD is not able to save your preferences. When installing CMUD, be sure to select the %DOCUMENTS% option for the location of your User Session data files. That will put your preferences into the My Documents\My Games\CMUD directory. That is different than the computer-specific issue that OldGuy2 is reporting here.

It worked just fine for months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: