Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next

Package Library Poll 2010/2011
Use It (Regularly)
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
Use It (Rarely)
28%
 28%  [ 18 ]
Don't Use it
26%
 26%  [ 17 ]
Don't Really Know What It Is
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Not Bothered
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 64

Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 pm   

Package Library Poll 2010/2011

This is a new version of package library poll. It's intended to get a sense of how many people use the CMUD Package Library. There will be another poll to see what types of packages are used.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:09 pm   

I chose regularly if only because I have published packages for a few different MUDs.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:50 pm   

I am like shalimar, use it regularly because I've created a few packages. I also have downloaded other packages.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:16 pm   

I downloaded perhaps half a dozen packages, took a look at them, and promptly decided I needed something different or could do it better. I then published one or two that didn't try to just mimic what everyone else was doing.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:21 am   

Used it once ever, clicked don't use it, since I'm not sure once is enough to even be quantified as rarely.
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:45 am   

Fizban1216 wrote:
Used it once ever, clicked don't use it, since I'm not sure once is enough to even be quantified as rarely.

That is the problem we are having with the library. Sadly nobody likes to share what they have created for ones that just don't understand how to make triggers, aliases, etc..

We need to make more packages for our MUD's and share them!

I think also we need a nice way to notify people that a package has been created and uploaded for a mud. Not sure how we should do that though.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 am   

A lot of the scripts may not be legal and they are trying to avoid repercussions.
Or the playerbase of a given MUD doesn't have many CMUD users, much less ones that whip up their own package.
On the otherhand, packages are still a fairly new concept to the zuggsoft community, the library has slowly grown, and will continue to due so.
Maybe we are just to set on that one MUD we have grown comfortable with to branch out to new MUDs and convert folks with some basic interfacing packages.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm   

shalimar wrote:
A lot of the scripts may not be legal and they are trying to avoid repercussions.
Or the playerbase of a given MUD doesn't have many CMUD users, much less ones that whip up their own package.
On the otherhand, packages are still a fairly new concept to the zuggsoft community, the library has slowly grown, and will continue to due so.
Maybe we are just to set on that one MUD we have grown comfortable with to branch out to new MUDs and convert folks with some basic interfacing packages.

What do people gain from sharing scripts? Nothing. Why should someone spend hours writing a script and make it available for free?
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 pm   

Rorso wrote:
shalimar wrote:

What do people gain from sharing scripts? Nothing. Why should someone spend hours writing a script and make it available for free?

That is what is wrong with people today. I remember when I was younger neighbors would help others because it was the NICE thing to do. Now todays society is so F***ed up, they won't do anything for someone else unless there is some kind of gain for themselves.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:08 pm   

darmir wrote:

That is what is wrong with people today. I remember when I was younger neighbors would help others because it was the NICE thing to do.

I just posted a theory which could very well be wrong. Personally I stopped uploading scripts because noone seemed to use the one I did upload =).
jakj
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:45 am   

Rorso wrote:

Hmm. Linux, BSD, GNU, Sourceforge, FSF, Canonical, Redhat, The Open Group, Google...

Yeah. You're right. Nobody would ever spend a bunch of time doing things that they just then give away for free. Never gonna happen.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 pm   

jakj wrote:
Hmm. Linux, BSD, GNU, Sourceforge, FSF, Canonical, Redhat, The Open Group, Google...

Yeah. You're right. Nobody would ever spend a bunch of time doing things that they just then give away for free. Never gonna happen.

In the case of Google you pay them for many of the services by watching banner ads. From Redhat's website it appears it makes money from Linux so it isn't really free either. Wikipedia has to resort to donations to be able to remain online.

If Linux is actually free could be discussed. I think that if you modify Linux source code then you might have to make those modifications available but I am not sure. It sounds suspiciously close to some kind of trading going on though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:35 pm   

This thread is not for discussion of open source. It is going off-track so please take your discussions to private or I'll be forced to lock this thread.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:06 am   

I would use the package library if I could password protect what I upload. I distribute via email though because I don't want the entire playerbase of the Mud stealing it. There ARE valid reasons for NOT publishing systems/scripts, such as people who look for scripts just to find ways to exploit them with illusions and so on. I also don't really care to help the opposition in the Muds I am playing. Anyway, I have quite a few people I provide packages to regularly and it would make life easier if I could just upload it and tell them it is available. I'm not going to do it though because of the reasons stated.
jakj
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 am   

oldguy2 wrote:
I would use the package library if I could password protect what I upload. I distribute via email though because I don't want the entire playerbase of the Mud stealing it. There ARE valid reasons for NOT publishing systems/scripts, such as people who look for scripts just to find ways to exploit them with illusions and so on. I also don't really care to help the opposition in the Muds I am playing. Anyway, I have quite a few people I provide packages to regularly and it would make life easier if I could just upload it and tell them it is available. I'm not going to do it though because of the reasons stated.

You want him to host your packages on his server and expend his bandwidth to allow just your friends to download packages you don't want to share to the rest of the CMUD userbase (which prevents your packages from contributing to the overall interest the package system might have to potential CMUD purchasers)?

That just isn't reasonable.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 am   

No it isn't. I never said I wanted anything. I just said it would be easier. I just use email anyway. Besides what difference does it make really? Because I would still be making a package available to Cmud users, but not ALL Cmud users so that would be bad? You don't make any sense. Just like anything else there is always some jerk that's going to abuse it, hack it, exploit it, pass it around so I am not doing it. If I create a package I want to share with ALL Cmud users, sure I will upload it to the library.
Ggoss
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:06 am   

Umm where is this package Library? I can't seem to find it under searching your site or anything.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:35 pm   

The package library is in CMUD itself. It's the icon just to the right of the 'Settings' on the main button bar. You can also go to View -> Library on the CMUD menu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:03 pm   

I'd like to suggest a slight tweak to the package library with the next update.
It would be nice if we could upload a single package at a time (a single class would be even nicer yet, but i won't get my hopes up) rather than a full session file.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:27 pm   

You can already upload packages one at a time. Open up the Package Properties, fill out/update the giant text area with anything you want Library users to see when browsing, and then click the Add to Library button. Packages are simply the files that contain your scripts.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if you can do anything but upload packages one at a time...

If you meant specific modules or windows, you can still do that too--just move it to a new package and upload that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 pm   

I must say I never bothered clicking Library to see what it is. Now that I do know what it is, I may start uploading packages to it. Pretty nifty system there. Glad this thread was started Smile
Martaigne
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 pm   

Chiming in a little late here, but...

1. I find it easier to make an XML dump and installation instructions than than to use the package library.
2. I can't simply UPDATE my code in the package library (that I've found).
3. Bacon. Aw, yeah. I like me some bacon.
4. 'Installing' a package still seems to require searching for the file to add it to a session.
5. I can't test a package installation because once I upload my package to the library it will only show up as 'uninstall' for me, even if I'm using a new session.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:41 am   

Like Martaigne, I find it easier to export my scripts to XML and post them on my MUD's wiki.

I am not a coder by nature, so my scripts tend to be a bit chaotic, messy and poorly organized. I don't really use packages. My scripts are organized in class folders. What can I say? I'm a code slob.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 pm   

Eternal darknesss pkg. .. ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:13 pm   

I feel silly for having to ask this, but where do i download these packages? They sound very useful...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: