Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
k_starling
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:42 am   

Creating new sessions a royal pain in the ass!

I play on Aardwolf. I created a new session to connect to another mud. Now my Aardwolf session connects me to that other mud, no matter what. I deleted everything associated with the new session, package files, everything. My aardwolf session still connects to that other mud. Editing session, etc. does nothing, it says aardmud.org for the address, Aardwolf for the ID, there is absolutely nothing anywhere that should make it connect to anything else, yet it does. At a complete loss here.

I will add that creating new sessions in Cmud is an absolute chore, nothing ever goes right. There is always some extra window (relating to some unrelated session) or similar problem. It's a real pain, you should get it squared away.

So, how do I fix my broken Aardwolf session? Start from scratch, I suppose?

+++++++++++++++++

EDIT: So, here was the problem: Somehow the settings to connect to the other mud were attached to my Aardwolf package. I had to open a different session, and then delete this setting from my Aardwolf package while the window wasn't active. What a pain. The way cmud handles creation of new sessions, i.e. lumping them in with completely unrelated packages, or lumping unrelated packages in with them... or whatever order it goes in, Christ surely knows, but I don't... is infuriating.

Hello, if I'm creating a new connection, chances are that I don't want other settings lumped in with it!

I remember when I created a session to connect to Aardwolf's test port. Holy Jesus. Aardwolf's test port and main port don't even use the same IP address. They're on completely different servers. Yet cmud lumped my Aardwolf package file into the new session. The new session proceeded to get into a back-and-forth autologin battle with my main window as each one kept logging itself onto Aardwolf (and kicking off the other window in the process). I had to go through the same rigmarole (blank session, change windows, delete bad setting) to fix it. C'mon now, should that really be necessary?

Don't get me wrong, cmud works just fine in every other situation. It's a great mud client, and I'm sorry to rant about it. But the way it handles creation of new sessions is a real problem, at least from what I can tell. I think it needs to be looked at.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 am   

Starting from scratch only means that you have to recreate the session and reattach your package files, map, etc to it. But, yes, you will need to start from scratch because it sounds like your sessions.db file got corrupted (only way to fix that is to delete the file and let CMud create a new one for you).
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:38 am   

I actually find creating a new session is very easy. I start CMUD, click New Session in the sessions window and enter that session information. Done. Easy as pie.

Now you don't say what version of CMUD you're using, or how you're creating the session.

If you've been using some Beta versions, there's is an off chance your sessions DB was corrupted, but these types of errors disappeared early in the Beta process. Depending on your exact steps you may actually opening one session in another, which CMUD may think is you attempt to do a multi-session setup.

The easiest way to fix these problems, is to click Edit Session, from the Sessions window when you start CMUD. Be sure to check the package lists, to make sure you have associated any packages you didn't intend to.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:46 am   

I'm using version 3.32.

How do I create a new session? The same way you do. And I check to make sure there aren't any unintended packages associated with the new session. There always are (why?), but I make sure to remove them before proceeding. In most cases it still screws up and is a pain to fix.

I doubt if I have any settings or database corruption. In the past, when it's happened, exporting to xml, deleting the bad files, and then re-importing takes care of it. It hasn't cropped up in a while. Also, I try to avoid the "continue application" button when crashes happen, since I'm told it can mess things up.

It's a mystery to me. All I know is that cmud has always been extremely balky when it comes to creating a new session, that it almost invariably screws it up, and that it's a real bear to fix it when it does.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 am   

There are usually three packages by default. Clickable URLs, English Directions and English Keypad. Anything else suggests that you sessions DB is really messed up. You can try backing up your packages, then completely uninstalling and reinstalling CMUD. Frankly, the behavior you describe is atypical and not by design. Something has clearly gone wrong.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 pm   

Tech is correct that something is clearly wrong with your setup.

The list of default packages attached to a new session can be changed in your Preferences. Run CMUD, close the Session window, then click the Prefs button in the toolbar. Go to the Scripting page and then the Packages tab. That will show a list of the default packages added to new sessions. It sounds like maybe this list has gotten messed up for you.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 pm   

Not that you need it, but I made some tutorials a long time ago for anyone having a problem understanding how to create a new session.

How to Create a New Session
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: