Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 am   

Layout tabs for 2 sessions.

I'm trying to play 2 muds at the same time, lets call them A and B. Each session has 6 capture windows and its own mapper.
What i'm trying to do is for each session to have a tab. So when i click on tab A, the 6 capture windows, the main session window and the mapper will be displayed. The same goes for when i click on tab B.

I can't seem to get it to look that way. In fact, it doesn't seem to look like anything, sometimes the windows just stop responding to what i set. Anyone know how i can set it up the way i want? Or if its not possible, a possible suggestion as to how to organize everything nicely.

Thanks
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 pm   

First question: What version are you using?

The easiest way to do this is to create two separate sessions (which it sounds like you have), and layout each one. Then create a third session. Within the third session, open each of the other sessions, and lay them out as you want. Save that layout, and it should work.

If you are having problems, please give very specific descriptions of what you are doing and what you are seeing.
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:01 pm   

I'm using cmud3.31.

Ok, what i was doing was opening session A, then opening session B in it.

Now i've tried what i think you said, i started a new session, completely blank session C.

Then i clicked on the sessions button and opened up A. When it loaded, it looked like this. Which is what i wanted.

So i repeated the same steps for session B, but when it loaded, it looked like that now. Everything else disappeared.

Session A's tab is the tab with chat,tells etc, ending with map. What i want it to look like is to have session B's tab after it and without the C tab at the start. So 1 tab per session which opens up more tabs at the bottom for my capture windows and main session window.

But it doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 pm   

Ah. No, there is no way to have a single tab for each session, with additional tabs within it. All windows specified to come up as a tab will show up in the single list of tabs. However, windows which are docked onto other windows won't show up unless the tab for the window they are docked to is clicked.
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 pm   

hmm ok thanks. any suggestions as to how i can organize everrything then?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm   

Four possibilities I can think of off the top of my head, but note that I have not actually run with two sessions at a time. I can't say compare any possible solutions to each other to suggest which is better. Perhaps there are others out there with more direct experience.

One is to set all the window tabs to unique names, so that you can distinguish which tab you want.
Two is to dock all the windows for a session together, so that they form a single tab.
Three is to dock all the windows for a session together, but set some of them to auto-hide. These windows will show up as tabs along the edge of the screen, and will automatically fly open when you hover the cursor over the tab. Clicking the tab will also open the window, until you click the hide button.
The fourth is to use a combination of the other three, reducing the number of tabs without getting it down to a single tab per session.

There is one more possibility but I don't know whether it would be useful to you. That is to use floating windows--windows which are neither docked together nor docked to the tab bar. Those windows should still be associated with a particular session, but I don't know whether they come to the front when the main session window comes forward. I don't think they do, so this probably won't be useful.
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 pm   

ok, here's what i've tried.
i created a new empty session c and in this session, under package files, i added the pkg file for both session a and b. then i opened session c offline. so tabs were created from left to right, c,a,chat,tells etc,b,chat,tells etc, but there were not in order. so after reordering all the tabs according to my specifications, i saved layout and closed the session. and yes, i checked that the xly file for session c was created and saved correctly.

when i opened up session c again, the tabs showing were c,a,chats,tells etc. but session b and all the capture windows from session b had become hidden and were floating windows. is there any reason why the layout won't save properly? am i doing something wrong or could it be a bug?
sav
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:09 pm   

bump

no one knows what's wrong?
harley
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:27 am   

I don't know how to fix your thing but what I would do is this.
Set up layout 1 how you want it..
edit your capture triggeers to send to your 'chat' window instead of " Bob says 'hi' have it be [MUD1]Bob says 'hi'
If that makes sense.. only problem with this I see is mapper.. and i'm not sure of a workaround for that..
cheers
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:00 am   

I think I just did what you wanted.

If that's it let me know. If it is then I will post what I did.

Note that you will only have one map, but you can keep track of both characters by giving them each their own #LOCATION.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:49 am   

i don't really want the screen to be split that way, i want test2 to be in the same row of tabs as the chat4,chat6,chat5.

also, its my impression that #LOC only works if both characters use the same map, in my case, each session is on a totally different mud, so i think i'll need to have 2 separate maps.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:39 pm   

Hm. You didn't mention that before. I don't know whether it is possible to use two separate maps at the same time.
You might have to use two separate instances of Cmud.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 pm   

I'd have to agree two separate instances may be better for you. As for generally saving your layout, I would try to make sure Lock-Layout is unchecked when you save it. You can then turn it on again to make sure you don't accidentally change it later on.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm   

I haven't actually tested 2 different maps, but from what I've understood of the 3.x changes you will only ever have one mapper window per instance of CMud. If you have multiple sessions open within one CMud instance, then just like how the status window works the mapper will update to show the appropriate mapfile and track the appropriate location.

If you want two map windows, you will simply need to open CMud twice--with one opening one session and the other opening the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: