Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:53 pm   

Mapper is veryu inefficient

I have been doing a major mapping project on the two towers MUD and i finished it up by now (almost) but i have noticed that zmud is EXTREMELY slow at loading the map (it has 22550 rooms in one zone) and i was wondering if there was any trick to making it go faster and also if possibly zuggsoft could at least make zmud continue normal prossesing WHILE the map loads (at this point the map is take quite a few minutes to load) really it shouldn't take that long to load 2.82 megs of data.
Acaila
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:53 pm   

You have all those rooms in a single zone? Wow! No wonder it's slowing down. I always split them up according to town/city and outdoors. Creating multiple zones will enable zMUD to load a limited number of rooms at once and as such is much faster.

Acaila
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 11:35 pm   

well i tried that, but I hated haveing to wait all the time whenever I crossed borders between zones and i tend to stay on the MUD i play for up to 9 hours at a time most of which is used traveling. So i would rather wait 5 minutes at the beginning than 10 seconds here and 10 seconds there and so on because i dont know if you've played the two towers, but its HUGE and there are only a few rivers to make good borders between zones. Also, I think zuggsoft could speed it up A LOT by making a better way of storing the data for the map
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 11:37 pm   

also, the outdoors in this place takes up about 20000 of those rooms so it doesnt help much to divide it up usually
PrestoPimp
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:43 am   

How about.. you make your own mudding client with All of the features that Zmud has.. and then make the mapper the way you want it.. Such trivial things as loading a 22000 room map file is useless.. Look at all the other cool stuff it can do jesus. Give some praise.. ZMUD IS THE BOMB

For tomarrow is another day, and other days come but 6 times a week.
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:44 am   

i'm not saying i dont like zmud I agree it is the bomb but itstill isnt perfect thats all
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:03 pm   

Well, nothing is ever perfect, but Zugg does like hearing ideas and addressing issues that customers have. Like it says on top of the webpage - "Customer driven Internet Software." This particular issue has already been mentioned twice and in fact, you are correct, the format for storing the maps is not very efficient. However, be sure to be on the lookout for the mapper addon next year. It will be a separate product (althought it can also work alongside with zMUD) that you will have to pay in addition to zMUD, but it will bring many new improvements and cool new feautures. If you really like mapping capabilities in zMUD, you might want to pick up a license for this product when it comes out.

Kjata
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 7:05 pm   

Thats interesting... and it will probably be a major improvement if they are charging extra for it, thanks i think i will buy that
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: