Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:13 am   

[3.31]Bug? Popup about debugger when using #BEEP

Not sure what is going on here, but I tried using #BEEP and the following popped up. Clicking 'ok' closed out the application. Any idea how to resolve this, as if I have WinIce/SoftIce, I'm probably using it for something...?

Charneus
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:30 am   

Hmmm... I just tried using #BEEP in an untitled session on WinXP and didn't get anything like that.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 am   

Most of the tech support posts I have seen show that error is due to problems with Nero CD/DVD burning software being installed on their computer. Do you use Nero?
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:14 pm   

Uninstall the debugger, and try again.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:18 pm   

@oldguy:

I do use Nero... hmm... not something I want to uninstall either, as I use it quite frequently. *sigh*

@Rorso:

Would if it were that easy. ;)

Charneus
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:34 pm   

If it is related to Nero, it'll either be an automatically starting task, which you can terminate, or a service that you can hopefully stop. Shouldn't need uninstalling I wouldn't think.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:11 pm   

The Armadillo copy protection used in CMUD doesn't like some other software that is running on your computer that looks like a debugger. If this just started happening recently, take a look at any other software you have recently installed. There is no way for me to determine what program is causing this. You might be able to contact the Armadillo support on the Silicon Realms site at: http://www.siliconrealms.com/contact.php to see if they have any way of helping.

I also have Nero on one of my computers and I don't get this error, so I'm not sure it's that simple. Unless your version of Nero is old or something.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:10 am   

I'm bringing this back up because after over a month, I STILL cannot figure this out. I'm down to the very basics as far as running anything, and the ONLY command that causes that to pop up is #BEEP.

I'm at wit's end here, not sure what to do. Support wasn't able to assist me... *sigh*
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:09 pm   

Unfortunately I have no idea what to suggest. It doesn't fail on any computer here and nobody else has reported this. #BEEP is just calling the standard Windows API routine for the bell sound (MessageBeep). Maybe there is a problem with your sound drivers or something. Can you use the #PLAY command to play a sound file? Also, try doing this:

#SHOW %char(7)

which is another way to sound the bell. It calls the same MessageBeep routine, so it should give the same error if that's the problem.

Otherwise it means that some other software on your computer is intercepting the sound card and making it look like a debugger breakpoint.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 am   

Tried it with #SHOW %char(7), no issue there. #PLAY works just fine.

This is just one of the weirdest thing I've seen, ever. On my desktop, it works just fine, but here, even with barebones processes and services, it's zilch. The one thing I haven't tried is safe mode, so I'll give that a shot...

I suppose that I can just change all my #BEEPs to #SHOW %char(7)...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:19 pm   

This is really really weird. The code for #BEEP and for %char(7) is exactly the same: MessageBeep(mb_OK); Both #SHOW and #BEEP run in the main thread. So I can't see any difference between them.

The only difference is that #BEEP also checks to see if Sound is enabled or not in your preferences. Oh, and it also looks at the "Beep Sound" value in your Sound Preferences and will use that instead of the mb_OK argument if it is set. On my system the Beep Sound is set to zero. Try clearing out that preference and make it a blank value and see if that changes anything.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm   

That's exactly what it was - the beep sound. Once I cleared it, #BEEP didn't have an issue.

Now I wonder what's causing THAT problem, since it never had before. Wonder if you're able to reproduce it yourself now...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:41 pm   

Can you tell me what you had in your Beep Sound field? I'd like to be able to reproduce it here if I can.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:38 pm   

It was simply "oomph.mp3" with the sound directory point to: C:\Users\Charneus\Documents\My Games\CMUD\Aardwolf\Sounds\. The folder still exists, and the sound file still exists in it, so I know it's nothing like searching for a file that isn't there or trying to access a folder it can't, etc. Hopefully, you can reproduce it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:58 pm   

That would be the same as doing the command:

#PLAY oomph.mp3 100

So give that command a try and see if it gives the same error or not.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 pm   

It does give the same error.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am   

OK, that's interesting. Does it also error with just:

#PLAY oomph.mp3

If so, then it sounds like maybe something is corrupted in that mp3 file itself (assuming you can play other MP3 files ok). The 100 is just the volume specifier and CMUD should be defaulting to 100 if you don't specify it.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:49 am   

It did error with that.

However, upon further testing, my .mid files play just fine. Any MP3 file I put in there (none of them corrupt, as far as I can tell, since I can still play them via media players), it pops up with that error.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 am   

Must be something specific to your set up. I was able to play MP3 files just fine.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 pm   

Time to update your sound drivers. CMUD uses the DirectShow API to play MP3 files, so CMUD does very little itself. But if your DirectX/DirectSound/DirectShow drivers have a problem, that is the likely cause. In fact, I'd update both the sound card drivers and the video card drivers since the video card drivers usually include updated versions of the DirectX libraries.

Media players often have their own decoders for playing files and might not be using the DirectShow API.

But in any case, there is very little I can do in CMUD for this since CMUD just passes your MP3 file to the Windows API.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: