Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
talonnb
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 am   

Real Quick Function Question #RETURN based

I've been browsing the forums like a madman looking for an example where a function returns a value and how that value is accessed.

Say I want to do:

#call @HandleAffliction(Tekura, ArmBreak)

and in that function it does #Return to return a specific value from said function back to a multistate trigger that I want to use said value to control the multistate. Now, I have no idea how to reference this, and I couldn't find any reference, so this is as close as I can think it might work

Trigger {Some bugger slaps you silly} //obviously not a real trigger, just an example
Value {
#call @HandleAfflict(Bugger, Slap)
#if ($returnedvalue=1) {#state 1} //reset the state to capture the next line as this one is ignored
#if ($returnedvalue=2) {#var affliction whatever;#State 0} //got the right 'next' line I wanted, resetting state to 0
}

problem is, I don't know how to get the value passed back from HandleAfflict into the $returnedvalue variable. I just hate to have a bunch of 'confirm' global variables kicking around if this return thing allows me to save the value to the local temp variable instead.
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:59 am   

You don't have to use #call to execute a function.

Code:
$val = @HandleAfflict(Bugger, Slap)
#if ($val == 1) {#state 1} //reset the state to capture the next line as this one is ignored
#if ($val ==2) {#var affliction whatever;#State 0} //got the right 'next' line I wanted, resetting state to 0
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm   

Right. You would use #CALL if the function did not return a value, or if you did not need the return value. If you need the return value, you can use the function in a variable assignment, or directly within another statement. For instance, you could use the the function as part of the argument for a Cmud command, or as a value within another function. In general, you can use a function call (built-in function or user-defined) anywhere you can use a variable (though it's a bit tricky to use one in a trigger pattern).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: