Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Bajed
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:34 pm   

Newest BETA that works with the older license key

Hi,
I can't afford to upgrade to the new license right now but I would like to be able to use the newest BETA that was released for the older license... Does anyone have a link to an older version that works with that license?

Thanks.
chumppi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:24 am   

Can't you just login to the store with your email and use the cmud page to get a new key sent to your email? They keys last only 7 days..
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:45 am   

No, chumppi. The newest BETA requires the license upgrade.

Bajed: The Betas have a set expiration date. Betas are used for testing purposes, not to have the newest version. You might qualify for a discounted cost, however, if you check the stores and see. The only Beta you would have access to is the current 3.29b version. Sorry.

Charneus
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:12 pm   

On the upside, you can still use the latest BETA for 30 days before purchasing. Smile
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:35 pm   

chamenas wrote:
On the upside, you can still use the latest BETA for 30 days before purchasing. Smile

Which is a good idea if he could buy the version before the trial runs out. When it does run out he would maybe not be able to access his settings anymore. Perhaps someone has some work that needs to be done that could be worth a copy of cMUD?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:03 pm   

Settings files are also still backwards compatible with v2.37, so he is in no danger of losing his settings.

But people here are correct...Beta versions have a hardcoded expiration in them, so you cannot use old beta versions. Not to mention the fact that older beta versions had tones of bugs that could corrupt your settings.
Bajed
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:17 pm   

Ah ok, well thanks. I guess I will keep using 2.37. Although it seems odd that I was able to use betas before with my license, and now that the hardcoded expiration date has arrived, I have to DOWNGRADE to 2.37
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm   

That's correct - the new license system didn't come until the last few versions. Zugg even made an announcement about it.

Charneus
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 pm   

The whole idea of beta versions are so that people find and report bugs. It's a bit of a contract, you report bugs, you get access to all the new features, but now that the beta phase is over, that no longer applies. Your license is only for v2, the fact that you got to use the v3 beta is largely due to Zugg's generosity as he could've very well made the beta inclusive.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:52 pm   

GeneralStonewall wrote:
largely due to Zugg's generosity

I'd say practicality had a smidgen to do with it as well. Otherwise he'd have probably less than 5 beta testers.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:59 am   

GeneralStonewall wrote:
Your license is only for v2, the fact that you got to use the v3 beta is largely due to Zugg's generosity as he could've very well made the beta inclusive.

I don't think that was made very clear. cMUD 2.37 advertises the beta version but doesn't warn that your license might not be valid. The beta download page doesn't mention this either. At earliest you can get this warning when installing the beta version. It states during installation that you need a V3 license key - however this got added sometime after beta 3.23.

Also nowhere at the download page and installation does it mention that it is a time limited demo of the beta even if you do have a valid license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: