Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:28 pm   

[Enhancement] Add vnum to mouse hover information

Future mapper enhancement idea.

Right now hovering the mouse over a room gives the room name and database key. It would be so much more convenient to have it give both room key and room vnum. The alternative is to have to go into the room properties and look it up on the one tab that contains the information.

Like this:
Name of room
#key (vnum)

With muds providing the vnum I've had a continual need to look up the vnums and it gets very annoying only being able to see this information in the one tab inside room properties.

Last edited by ReedN on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:50 pm   

The way you titled some of these they look like bug reports...
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:55 pm   

I'll try to change that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm   

Each room has a custom Hint option. I had thought there was a default option for all rooms where you could change this, but it looks like it never made it into the user interface. I'll see if this is easy to add.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 pm   

Just make a toolbar in the meantime Reed that displays the info or if you only want the room number perhaps display it on the status bar or a single button. Either way it's right there on the screen.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm   

oldguy2: That would definitely work for the current room, but sometimes I'm trying to manually hook up rooms and I'm mousing over rooms to get the data needed to hook them up. When the server provides a vNum a room links to I need to be able to mouse over nearby rooms to see which has the vNum in question. Having only the RoomKey in the mouse over information means I need to use the room properties and inspect each of the rooms in the special tab which contains the vNum.

Zugg: Is there a way to update the hint field by function? I didn't see any function to update the hint field so I'm confused as to whether you are suggesting updating 20k+ rooms by hand/external program to put all the vnums in there.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm   

Quote:
Is there a way to update the hint field by function?

Nope, sorry. You can do it with the %map... COM scripting in CMUDPro, but not with any %room function.
Quote:
I'm confused as to whether you are suggesting updating 20k+ rooms by hand/external program to put all the vnums in there.

Absolutely not. I'm saying that I'll look into it to see why the GUI for setting the default hint string isn't showing up anywhere. CMUD *does* have a default hint string for the mapper, and I thought that there was a place to change it. But it's obviously something I meant to do and never actually coded.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:53 am   

If would be great if the mouse hover contents could be set to a function.. Very Happy
So the current contents would be something like "%roomname%crlf#%roomkey", and that could be changed to whatever you want... Maybe even being able to get data from user-defined functions...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:43 pm   

Yes, that is what is intended. The hint will expand any variables and functions, sort of like a button caption.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 pm   

I found out why this wasn't in the GUI like I thought it was...it was something I added to zExplorer but never to zMUD/CMUD. Anyway, it's in the next version. You can use @vars and %functions and also the special tags:

<id>
<vnum>
<name>
<x>
<y>
<z>
\n or <br> for a newline

These are expanded *before* the variables or functions are evaluated (except for <name> which is expanded *after* the functions). So you can do stuff like:
%roomflags(<id>)
to display the user-defined string flags for room with with given ID. The <id> is expanded to the id of the room the mouse is hovering over, then the %roomflags is called with that value.

The <name> tag is expanded at the very end so that special characters within the room name don't cause problems with the CMUD function parser.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:30 pm   

Very nice! Thanks for the addition, I'll be sure to put it to good use.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:35 am   

I'm loving this new addition.

Here's my new tooltip:

%roomname(<id>) %if(%roomid(<id>), %concat("(",%roomid(<id>),")"))\n#<id> (<vnum>)\n%roomflags(<id>)

Shows:

Name of the room (shortname)
#roomkey (vnum)
shop|bank|etc

Very nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: