Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Elektrisk564

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:45 am   

My license key isn't working.

I upgraded from Cmud like 2.74 or something to the latest beta, and when I went to reenter my license key, it said it was invalid. I just got it from my order history.

I bought it in july of 2007 for $30. I did not buy the pro version. I don't even know if it was out then.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:40 am   

Around version.... 3.26... ? Zugg made it so that even in the Beta it would require a license key for version 3 of CMUD. This is because he felt near to a Release version and likely needed a bit of income since he expected CMUD version 3 to be released awhile back.

Zugg's policy is that he tries to release new versions of the product he's supporting. Major versions require a license upgrade. If you bought the product less than two years before the product upgrade, it's free. If you've bought the product over two years previous, there's a small fee to upgrade (I think I paid something like $14 to go to version 3).

While paying more money for a product doesn't feel awesome, you have to keep in mind a couple of things:
- The market Zugg is selling too is not massive. There's not a ton of mudders out there. He can be like Microsoft and have hundreds of millions of customers. As such, he needs to continue making money.
- Even Microsoft charges money for new OSes, and why shouldn't they? They put work and effort into it. Each major version includes new things which make the program different than previous versions. Going from, say, v2.37 to 3.28 is usually a minor thing which is often a bug fix or perhaps a minor feature improve not worth charging for. But going from v2 to v3 is like going from Windows XP to Vista (okay, maybe not exactly like that, but you get the idea). He put a lot of work into it and so needs to make money so he can continue to put work into it and live.

Anyways, long story short: You have to buy the license to use the latest version of the beta, because eventually you'll have to buy the license to use v3 anyways. If you buy it now, you dont have to worry about it later though.

I would expect a release of v3 very soon, so unless you expect to be able to help in the beta testing, you might just wait until he releases it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:45 am   

What if I am content with the way 2.87 or whatever works? Is there a way for me to downgrade to my old version so my license still works?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:49 am   

hope you kept a backup... but you should be able to un/re install v2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:59 pm   

Elektrisk564 wrote:
What if I am content with the way 2.87 or whatever works? Is there a way for me to downgrade to my old version so my license still works?

You dont need to upgrade your license to use 2.37 (v2). You paid for that version and that's yours forever.

And as Shalimar said, you can just go to the download page and grab v2.37 and install that. You won't ever have to re-up your license for that.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:16 pm   

chamenas wrote:
Around version.... 3.26... ? Zugg made it so that even in the Beta it would require a license key for version 3 of CMUD. This is because he felt near to a Release version and likely needed a bit of income since he expected CMUD version 3 to be released awhile back.

What is annoying though is that cMUD 2.37 shows the "Upgrade cMUD" popup window. It mentions that it is a beta version but nowhere does it say that it is a time limited demo version.

What is further annoying is if you read the beta warning(the one within cMUD) it says that the data files might get converted to a newer file format and that the files no longer will work with an old version of cMUD. Basically what might happen if you upgrade is that you get your settings stuck in a version you can't use if you don't buy a new license. Also it doesn't mention that the old license won't work with the beta.

So it might not be as easy as simply reinstalling an old version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: