Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
grunthork
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:17 pm   

[3.25]Pro - FTP window keeps popping up

I just upgraded to 3.25Pro to use the FTP function. The manual states that the #FTP command is supposed to open an FTP window when no arguments/options are used. However, when I use
Code:

#FTP open servername username password

I still get the ftp window popping up. Is there any way to set the FTP window to "never open"?
I'm using:
Windows 7 x64
Cmud Pro v.325
The newest version of filezilla FTP server. (on a separate windows xp machine.)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:16 pm   

The FTP module requires the FTP window to be open. You can click the window option dropdown in the caption of the FTP window and select the Hide or Auto-Hide options to hide the window.

The help file is just saying that if you only want to open the window without making a connection, you use #FTP without any arguments. Using arguments still will open the FTP window always.
grunthork
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 pm   Stop changing window Focus

Thanks, Zugg. Now i understand. I'm sending constant updates to my FTP server (it's a server on my LAN so there are no bandwidth issues.) so i keep having to close the window etc. My solution is to open the ftp window when i start my session, and make sure it's on autohide. It works, kind of. There's a major delay in opening the FTP window, even if i'm not connecting to anything (IE using #FTP with no args). This isn't a bug or anything, but it sure would be nice to be able to completely hide/prevent the FTP GUI from coming, or to make it much faster at opening.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:17 pm   

The delay actually comes from the FTP window loading the current file directory into the lower part of the window. The Windows API for this is getting slower and slower with each new release of Windows. Someday I might try to convert it from using the Windows Shell API and just do a low-level directory listing, but then you'd lose the integration with the Windows Shell (the menu you get when you right-click on a file name).
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:27 pm   

I have used programs that have their own tree handling and pop up menu, but a way (either menu option or holding down a key) to produce the windows right-click menu. So it must be possible somehow.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:34 am   

I think he means the little dropdown list you get whenever you right+click something in windows, which is independent of other GUI features and something you need to be using the Windows API in order to get.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:17 am   

I was meaning the same thing.
grunthork
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:48 am   The right-click context menu?

Zugg, if you're referring to the right-click context menu in windows.....who needs it! I'd love it if we could at least have an option to turn this off. It's just defeating the point of scripting for me, because it adds manual clicks etc. I'm sure you understand. Thanks for the work you do, and maybe you'll add this to your 'rainy day' list. :)
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:06 am   

Moo wrote:
I was meaning the same thing.

I'd be curious to see what programs manage to emulate the Windows Shell then, do you have screen shots or links?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 pm   

ACDSee is one.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:17 pm   

Quote:
Zugg, if you're referring to the right-click context menu in windows.....who needs it

Umm, a lot of people do. For example, I use TortoiseSVN for version control and it adds a bunch of stuff to the right-click menu that is useful when I'm in a FTP application. Remember that the FTP/SFTP module is more for sysadmins (and TeSSH) than it is for MUD playing.

Using the Shell API allows external applications (like TortoiseSVN) that hook into the Windows right-click menu to add their features. When you try to "emulate" the Windows Shell, you end up just adding fixed commands like Delete, etc, but then there is no way to support external application plugins to the shell.
grunthork
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:17 am   Alternative to FTP?

Zugg,

That was meant to be a goof. I was trying to suggest that you remove the windows shell stuff just for me, which I would never expect you to do. (unless you want to Very Happy )I certainly don't need the right-click menu, but I understand that others do. What I'm trying to do is update a webpage on another machine (on the lan) with my statistics, and it seemed like FTP was the easiest way to do this. If you can recommend a method for using a database to do this, i'm all ears. I'm using Apache 2.2 on a Window 7 Business computer for the webserver. Can i connect to a remote database with CMUD Pro? It isn't clear to me on the "what's new in V3" document which database i can use remotely. It sounds like Cmud pro needs zapp or zconnect to connect remotely, but if that's not true, please correct me, because I think that would be the better solution. I'm also not sure which sql server i will need to install. It was a question of compatibility of software that's stumping me. Do i need to get zapp or zconnect to connect to a remote database and send queries/edit tables?

Thanks,

Gman
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:28 pm   

You should use CMUDPro and look at the new %url function. I should have the documentation added for that later today or tomorrow. And yes, CMUDPro will let you connect to a remote database. CMUD is using code ported from zApp, so you don't need to have zApp installed. You use the #SQLDB command to connect to the remote database and the %sql function to query. Docs for Sql are HERE until I get them added to the help files.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 pm   

Documentation has been added: %url. It should be pretty self explanatory on how to fetch data from a remove web site. Also added stuff to #SQLDB although I discovered that several of the database protocols are not yet available in CMUDPro. They will be added in the next update. Currently only MySQL, SQLite, and ADO are available in v3.26.
grunthork
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 pm   Thanks!

Thanks, Zugg. That's clearer for me. I exitedly await the added functionality and documentation in the next version update!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: