Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:24 pm   

3.23 CMUD Editor and HTML color

In previous versions, my .htm logs showed up as colored in the Rich Color editor, so that I could see the logs in full color as I edited them. Currently, in 3.23, it doesn't. There were some changes made to the editor, so I'm wondering if this is as intended, or if there's a setting that I missed that I now need to turn on? When I opened up the .htm file in the browser, all of the color was there, but it would be nice to see the color while cleaning a log in the Editor too.

It also means that if I try to cut out a portion of a log and save it as a new .html file (which I do all the time, since I auto-log) that it doesn't preserve the color.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:16 pm   

Confirmed and added to bug list. Not sure what happened, but it's related to the changes in the Editor back in v3.22
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 pm   

Just a quick question:

I wasn't sure how much you could do with the editor, but this issue has been nagging at me ever since the background of the color of the editor reverted back to white.

I like to have my logs with a background color of black and all non-colored "default" text to be the same gray as I have the MUD set to. Unfortunately, logs right now, from CMUD, have a white background with black "default" text. I was wondering if there was any way to have the Editor have an option which would include style specifications when it saves as a specific document type (such as .htm) where it might make the background color black and the default text-color the same color as the current default text color settings.

Right now I just use a third party program to quickly to change the style specifications on every log, but it's an extra step and it would always be nice to cut the extra work out of the equation.

Also, interestingly enough. If I work on a file in the editor and then save it as a .htm, then open it again in the editor, make changes, and save it as a .htm, all of the default text is switched to be specifically the font color black. I suspect this is related to CMUD re-encoding all of the .html as interpreted from the rich text of the editor, unfortunately it means I have to clean the log all at once or do it in another program, since trying to save a log and clean it a bit later results in this issue. My suggestion would maybe fix this? But would there be a way to fix this even if that suggestion is not implemented?

As always, thanks again. I just updated my license to v3, I'm quite satisfied with CMUD as a whole and look forward to the future.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:03 pm   

No, we've talked about this extensively in the past. CMUD is not creating a "full" HTML file. A "full" HTML file requires an HTML tag, and a BODY tag. The BODY tag is where you specify your background color. The CMUD HTML log is intended for embedding within an existing HTML file (like posting to the net). You'll always need to edit the log file yourself to add the proper HTML and BODY tags to do this.

If you use the File/Save from the CMUD Editor, then it is converting the log file into a full HTML file and then it adds it's own HTML and BODY tags. These colors "should" be coming from your Editor Style preferences.

Have you tried going into your Style preferences and changing the background and default colors of the Editor back to what you want?
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 pm   

Ah, for some reason I missed that. I'll be able to try them on a new log once the current problem in the editor is fixed (all of my old logs are already converted via the third party program).
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:59 am   

The settings aren't sticking for the background color and text color. Is that intended, or is there a setting elsewhere (other than Format -> Text Color in the Editor) that I have to change in order to permanently make the background color black and the text-color gray, for purposes of saving a log.

Also, in 3.24 (minor issue) any time a font-color is used it also puts face="Arial", changing the font. No idea why.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 am   

You should be going into the Preferences and then the Styles tab and then change the Editor styles. The Format->Color menu in the Editor is just for temporary color changes when editing.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:32 am   

Hmm, I went to Options -> Styles -> HTML and changed those values, but it didn't work. So I went back and changed Options -> Styles -> General > Text Editor, and applied it. Closed the window, opened it again just to double check the settings had applied and... no luck. It still saves with black text and a white background when saved in .htm format.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:07 am   

I think you are still forgetting a step. Here is what I did that worked just fine:

1) Open the Editor and typed in some text
2) Clicked the Prefs button in the main session window toolbar, clicked on Styles
3) Click on the General->Text Editor style.
4) Changed the Background Color to Gold
5) Back in the Editor window, the background is now Gold
6) In the Editor window, I did a File/Save As
7) In the Save File dialog box, I select "HTML files" from the "Save as Type" selection. Then entered a filename of "test.htm" and clicked OK.
8) Opened the test.htm file in Firefox, and the background was Gold, just like it should be.

Closed CMUD and re-opened. Opened the Editor. Did File/Open and selected HTML as the file type and selected the test.htm file. It loaded with the proper gold background.

So be sure you are saving your file with the correct HTML file type.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 am   

I thought I had updated this, apologies. I figured out how to get it to work, in the end. Sorry about the confusion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: