Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm   

[3.25]GMCP, room.info.exits needs to clear

So I'm happily mapping Aardwolf, and I come across a room that has no exits other than a special exit that isn't listed in room.info.exits. However, information from the PREVIOUS room showed up in exits, while everything else was correct.

I wrote a Bug note saying that exit information wasn't being cleared MUDside.

Then I ran into a room with no exits, period, and same issue, so I updated the note to include rooms with no exits.

Turns out... it's client-side. Apparently, when walking in a room that does not have an exit field, CMUD uses the previous room's values for exits, which creates problems with the mapper. Can it be changed that exit info clears upon exiting a room, please?

Charneus
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:58 pm   

That's interesting... I recently had a similar issue while trying to configure the mapper. It would generate the exits from the previous room I had been in. Perhaps at that point my configuration wasn't detecting the exits in my current room. The bug may be somewhere in the mapper and not in the GMCP handling, as my mud doesn't use GMCP.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:56 pm   

It's most likely the optimization algorithm Zugg mentioned. I recall him saying they optimized it so the server would only send information that changed. I think the room that doesn't send information is going to appear much like information that didn't change and thus wasn't sent. The client is going to interpret it by using the old information since it assumes it to be the most up-to-date lacking any new data being sent.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 pm   

CMUD looks for a non-blank exit string. When the exit string is blank, it doesn't cause any #TAG command to be generated. I never thought about a case with a room and no exits. As long as the MUD is sending the room.info.exits with a blank string, I should be able to handle this better.

Moo: GMCP just uses the normal CMUD #TAG command. So if you have your own #TAG, or if the MUD uses MXP to tag rooms, the problem might be similar. Or, you might have just had a bad mapper configuration and need to reconfig on that MUD.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm   

Currently, this is what's displayed via GMCP (retrieved from a different client, not using stored variables):

Code:
Room with exits:
room.info { "num": 36455, "brief": "Crossing the Field",
            "zone": "gathering", "sector": "field", "flags": "",
            "exits": { "n": 36457, "e": 36466, "s": 36458, "w": 36456 },
            "coord": { "id": 4, "x": 9, "y": 26 } }

Room without exits:
room.info { "num": 36456, "brief": "Trapped in a Cage",
            "zone": "gathering", "sector": "hellinside", "flags": "pk",
            "coord": { "id": 4, "x": 9, "y": 26 } }

As you can see, Aardwolf does not even send a blank exit array in a room with no exits, hence the reason I asked for the room info to clear upon exiting the room, or at least the exits array. I wonder if Lasher would put the exit array in there, even when it's blank... Hmmm...

Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:08 pm   

Hmm, yes, that will be a problem. I'll contact Lasher about this and see what he can do.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:46 pm   

Lasher says he should have this fixed soon. Hopefully the next time Aardwolf is rebooted.
Aylorian
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 am   

This is on our test port now, a room with no exits will appear as:

room.info { "num": 44248, "brief": "The Vault", "zone": "immhomes", "sector": "inside", "flags": "safe", "exits": {}, "coords": { "id": -1, "x": -1, "y": -1 } }

Hopefully this works ok but if not please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: