Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Wannabe
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:44 pm   

GemStone III gauges and such

Ok... I'm kinda new to this (Meaning, I've only been using zMUD for two days). I'm trying to use the gauge plugin to make heath, mana, exp, etc. show up, but as near as I can tell, that info is not contained in the prompt. The only way to display it is using the exp command, but it seems very cumbersome to type exp everytime a critter hits me to update the health, and such. Any fellow GS players who could help me with this (or offer any other information pertaining to GemStone and zMUD), please reply. Thanks a ton!
Toetag
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:21 pm   

ya know I didn't fully read the message till just now. may not pertain to the question but gives a basic idea on triggers.

You'll have to some how get Zmud to recognize the variables you want:

ie my prompt looks like:
{178 HP 72 IP}

So I make a trigger:
~{(%n) HP (%n) IP~}:

with the values of:
#VAR hp %1
#VAR ip %2

Then I can use these variables (hp and ip) in making gauges. Search the forum, there have been numerous postings about gauges. You might also check the Finished Scripts forum as well.

Note: I'm doing this off the top of my head. %n may not be the pattern matcher for numbers, you'll have to look in the HELP for "pattern matching".

Killing a fly on a friends forhead may not be overkill, use a hatchet to make sure the job is done.
Wannabe
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:53 pm   

Yeah, I've pretty much gotten the hang of triggers and variables. My only problem is finding a way to get those variables without having to send a command to check them. In the MUD client that comes with the game (called Wizard FE), there are those kind of gauges, but as nearly as I can tell, they don't send any command to the server to check them. My theory is that there are hidden flags in the prompt that reveal that information... I just can't figure out how to unhide them. Any suggestions? Thanks again!
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:06 am   

You might check for things like black on black text that contain the "hidden" values, etc to see if that's how it's being passed. If that fails and you can't figure out how it's being sent to the client, you can always make an alias that sends the exp command, gags the output but triggers on it to store the variables you want for display the way you want it.

zMUD 6 Online Help: All the power you'll ever need.
Wannabe
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:12 am   

I'm almost positive that it's not a black on black deal, or anything similar. I think that the packet which is sent to zMUD from the server contains the information separatly, and it's not displayed in the game window. However, the Wizard FE that comes with the game can read that packet and interpret the info. Is there any way to read the packet with zMUD, possibly find out exactly what was sent? I've also considered just sending the exp command and gagging it, as you suggested, but I'm gonna put that on hold until I've run out of other ideas. It would have to be sent every 5 seconds or so, and that would cause excrutiating lag. (Sorry for all the spelling errors. I'm just stupid... <g>) Thank you all, yet again!
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:22 pm   

Try this:

Log on as usual, and then type #debug log.txt

This will create a dump of all the text received from the mud - formatting intact. Send a few commands, get into a fight or something, etc where you're sure the hp updates have been sent to the client. Then type #debug again (to turn off the log)

You can open the log you created (it'll be in your zMUD directory) in a text editor and search it for the HP numbers. This way you can see if it's sent from the mud in any way zMUD can recognize. If it's not there, zMUD can't show it.

I can't imagine them using a non-standard telnet-like protocol when telnet's so easy to use, but they're proprietary and might do it just to thwart other clients.

zMUD 6 Online Help: All the power you'll ever need.
bruntilda
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:47 pm   

It's been a while since I played GemStone, since the old AOL days, but I suspect that it may check the terminal type that zMud sends when you connect, and if it doesn't match the terminal type of its custom telnet client, then it doesn't send any of the extra hp and mp information. You can edit the terminal type that zMud sends in the emulation preferences and that might help, but I don't know what GemStone would expect it to be.
bruntilda
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:03 pm   

I think that GS3 like DragonRealms uses a proprietary format called GSL to send this information. A couple people were working on plugins to convert this into MXP but I don't know whatever happened to that. You could try searching for it in the forums or maybe one of the developers could help you.
Wannabe
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:11 am   

Thanks guys. You've been very helpful... If you come across any more info, PLEASE post it. Thanks again!

Adding on to this posting:
Any info concerning how I change the terminal type in zMUD, and what I should change it to would be very helpful. Thanks!
Wannabe
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:44 am   

Ok... Here's the lateset update. I've got the GS III server to recognize me as the Wizard FE, so it now sends all the hidden codes that the Wizard needs to update all its gauges and such. Now the problem is configuring that so that it works with the gauges plugin. I haven't tried yet, but I don't think that should be TOO much trouble. The other thing, is that, in the Wizard, there is a graphic display of a person, with red dots indicating wounds. I've got the code that says what wounds you have, I just don't know how to interpret that onto a graphic. Anyone know? Or can anyone even tell me how to use graphics in zMUD? Thank yas!
Daulken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:54 pm   

Just curious, you posted (albeit a long time ago) that you figured out how to tell the Simutronics server that you're the Wizard FE. You mind sharing that with us?

Anyone who knows, please feel free to respond.

Thanks
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:34 pm   

quote:

Ok... Here's the lateset update. I've got the GS III server to recognize me as the Wizard FE, so it now sends all the hidden codes that the Wizard needs to update all its gauges and such. Now the problem is configuring that so that it works with the gauges plugin. I haven't tried yet, but I don't think that should be TOO much trouble. The other thing, is that, in the Wizard, there is a graphic display of a person, with red dots indicating wounds. I've got the code that says what wounds you have, I just don't know how to interpret that onto a graphic. Anyone know? Or can anyone even tell me how to use graphics in zMUD? Thank yas!

If you're going through ZMud to do your graphics, then you need to create all those pictures with every conceivable dot in every conceivable place. Then you just count up the type/size/number of wounds and use %btnimage() to load up the appropriate picture.

Your options are maybe much more spacious and direct via the plugin, but that's way beyond me.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Thandril
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:03 am   

Hmm, sounds like a possible new target for my DGate plug-in. :) Too bad I don't play Gemstone.

http://www.mindspring.com/~roys/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: