Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 am   

%caption

What does %caption do?
The help says "returns menu caption for speedmenus created by list format"
I think speedmenus is just the old name for menus.. But what is this "list format"?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:30 pm   

Not quite. A menu is one of the system-supplied pulldown menus accessed from the main toolbars. The commands in those menus can be accessed by name with the #MENU command. A speedmenu is a customized pulldown menu you create yourself. They, too, are created with the #MENU command, with a different syntax. See the #MENU help file. This terminology dates back to Zmud days. Perhaps you didn't realize the distinction, since the #MENU command can be used with both of them, iin different ways.

I've not used speedmenus, so I'm not positive what it means by "created by list format." However, "list format" almost certainly refers to the format used for string lists. Perhaps it means that it returns a string list of menu captions?
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 pm   

It is referenced here:
http://www.zuggsoft.com/modules/mx_kb/kb.php?page=3&mode=doc&k=214
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:57 pm   

Ahh.. I had searched in the help for "speedmenu" and the predefined variables page was the only one that uses it.. Everywhere else it is spelled "Speed Menu(s)" Rolling Eyes
The reason I had thought "speedmenus" were now called just "menus" is that the help pages cmud_menus and cmud_#men always call these context menus "menus" and never "speed menus".. Confused

But anyway, none of those help pages mention list format, and %caption doesn't seem to return anything for me, whether called from a (speed )menu or not..
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:06 pm   

mr_kent: Thanks! You posted while I was writing my previous reply..

%caption does work like that if I define the (sub)menu using that syntax. This syntax doesn't seem to be described in the cmud help at all though.
I think it would be nice if it returned the caption for any clicked menu item though, not just submenus defined using a certain syntax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: