Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:16 pm   

3.18 ETA

Sorry for the delay. I've been sick for the past week and am still getting over some sort of sinus infection that I seem to get every year at about this time. Must be allergy related.

Anyway, I'm back to trying to program today and finish the new stringlist/table code. I hope to do a "soft" (alpha) release before the holiday weekend so people can test there scripts with the new code. This is the last new stuff that I'm adding, so you'll see the first public RC1 soon after.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:09 pm   

Sorry your feeling poorly.. try a sauna if you have one locally available.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:20 pm   

Sounds nice, but I don't have one handy. For a hot bath, we have a large tub, but it's so large that we run out of hot water before it's full, so we never use it.

I could handle the aches and pains ok (especially with good drugs :). The main problem is that when I'm coughing a lot or have a bad sinus infection, I don't have the brain-power that I need to program. In the past I've done some stupid things coding when I feel bad.

Fortunately I seem to be feeling better today. I finished the first pass of converting all of the old hash table code over to the new super object code. Now more testing. Then some more testing. Then I'll release 3.18 so that other people can test some more.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:53 pm   

The often have them at public gyms and such, but that may require membership.
You could always boil a pot of water, then hang your towel covered head over it to breath in the steam.
Eucalyptus oil or other herbs may help to maximize results.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:13 am   

Nettie Pot!

I used to get sinus infections fairly regularly both in the spring and the autumn when the weather/temperature/barometric pressure changed rapidly.

About eight years ago, I was at work and I was so tired and frustrated with my pressurized head, raw throat and stuffy nose that I decided I was going to snort hot water up my nose to try to melt all that nastiness out. I was so miserable that I didn't think it could be any worse, no matter what I might try.

I cupped my hand and filled it with hot water, plugged one nostril and inhaled sharply through the other drawing the hot water into my sinuses. All of a sudden, I couldn't blow my nose fast enough. Yeah I got a headache like I used to get doing backflips underwater at the community pool but it quickly went away. I kept snorting water until my nostrils felt dry and blowing my nose produced nothing but free-flowing air. I had to do it again the next day but it worked much better than I had hoped it would.

Whenever I started getting that stuffy feeling after that, I'd snort some more water. Water temperature seems to be key. When the temperature is such that I don't feel heat or cold in my nose, it takes the least repetitions for some reason and there's no headache. Haven't had to do that for that last 2-3 years and haven't been plagued by sinus infections either. Maybe my sinus membranes got the message, maybe I did real damage and have scar-tissue or something....

Anyway, when my wife was getting the sinus stuffies I told her what I had done—knowing she would NEVER do it—just to offer a possible solution. That's when she told me about the Nettie Pot she heard about on some TV show. I asked her if she had used it but she said she didn't have one. I got one for her but she still won't use it. Not that any readers here are disgusted or put off by the thought of it, but some people must prefer being miserable than rinsing the inside of their noses with water. My wife is one such person.

Steam never worked for me. It made my nose kind of unclogged, but the pressure in my head always got worse.

I hope you continue to recover, Zugg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: