Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:20 am   

[2.28] ATCP and MCCP default option (low priority idea)

By default both of these are selected in a clean installation. It might be better to have a 'radio' type button that selects one or the other but doesn't allow both to be selected at the same time.

Or perhaps the better solution would be to get the IRE muds to fix their MCCP with ATCP. What exactly *is* the issue on that I never understood and is there a reason why they don't fix it?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:03 am   

Actually, CMUD is even smarter than this. Yes, by default both are enabled. But the first time the MUD requests ATCP, CMUD will automatically disable the MCCP. Only if you manually enable MCCP will it "stick" and turn back on.

So you won't see this effect unless you actually connect to an IRE MUD with a new session.

Apparently the problem is some kind of buffering problem. They can't seem to "synchronize" sending MCCP packets with sending ATCP packets at the right point. I don't really know why it seems to be so hard to fix. I've bugged them many times about it, but it seems to be a low priority for them since it doesn't effect their own Java client (which doesn't use MCCP).
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am   

Perhaps if enough people express interest it will move up on their priority list.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 am   

Probably not. While they understand there are a vast number of CMUD users, they really didn't have to change anything to allow ATCP to be used by it. With the good number of users who use other clients, they would be hard pressed to put this higher up on their plate.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 am   

And the only draw of MCCP is bandwidth, really, which I guess they can afford.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Aylorian
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Actually, CMUD is even smarter than this. Yes, by default both are enabled. But the first time the MUD requests ATCP, CMUD will automatically disable the MCCP. Only if you manually enable MCCP will it "stick" and turn back on.

So you won't see this effect unless you actually connect to an IRE MUD with a new session.

Apparently the problem is some kind of buffering problem. They can't seem to "synchronize" sending MCCP packets with sending ATCP packets at the right point. I don't really know why it seems to be so hard to fix. I've bugged them many times about it, but it seems to be a low priority for them since it doesn't effect their own Java client (which doesn't use MCCP).

Sorry for the thread necromancy here, but IRE has made ATCP an "open standard". As it already has wide support in clients I added it to Aardwolf -- or just a skeleton of it so far.

Anyway, no surprise to anyone familiar with this thread (I wasn't), but now everyone connecting using CMUD has MCCP defaulted to off. Aardwolf has in-game incentives for using MCCP so this is causing some concern.

We have no problem using out-of-band communication with MCCP. At this point it seems the best course of action is to simply remove ATCP and go back to using our 'telnet 102' negotiation which has no conflicts with MCCP. There is no information/functionality afforded by ATCP that isn't easily recreated using another out-of-band channel, was just trying to leverage the plugins that already support ATCP vs writing custom plugins for Aardwolf. Standards ... never ... are ...
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:32 pm   

Aylorian wrote:
Aardwolf has in-game incentives for using MCCP so this is causing some concern.

Never really understood the reason to encourage players to use MCCP. MCCP lowers the server's bandwidth usage, but increases its ram usage, and most servers charge more for RAM than for bandwidth usage. It might have made sense a decade ago when the minuscule amount of bandwidth that a MUD uses was an issue, but with todays internet connections it's all but negligible.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 pm   

This is already fixed in the latest beta version of CMUD...it no longer turns off MCCP when ATCP is enabled. For players using previous versions of CMUD, you just need to tell them to re-enable MCCP manually. There is nothing else that can be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: