Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 pm   

LP5

Had to do format of my hard-disk and a fresh install windows XP pro. Only ESET Security suite running version 3.0. and Microsoft Office 2007. Really basic stuff running .
And then reinstalled Cmud did not work , and Zmud no problems , with zmud that old work horse. allways works :)
So I hope this helps in solving the LP5 problem.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm   

You'll have to explain a lot more than "reinstalled Cmud did not work." What exactly didn't work, and what happened when it didn't work? From your description, we can't tell whether you mean you couldn't install it, or it crashed as soon as you started Cmud, or it hung when you started a session, or your sessions are gone, or any of several dozen other possibilities.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 am   

Ok Did not work means: The program installed, (it is in the start menu), at the end of the install process the dialog box comes up saying "Error while unpacking program contact Author LP5".
When I click on the start menu Cmud shortcut the same dialog box is shown. "Error while unpacking program contact Author LP5"
I used the My documents, tick box setting. So That's about all I can tell you.
In my first post I stated that I had just reinstalled windows , Format hard drive, that meant a fresh install of all other programs . nothing on hard disk to import , any previous setting. There where no sessions to lose, as I can't open the program to import any,even if I had some to import, and the program Cmud did not start, so it did not crash.
Hope that this is better answerer do a search Sutex-kindred , I have had this problem since the beginning, when I brought Cmud with Zmud. ( Still think Zmud is better, given I can't get Cmud to work :) Iam beginning to think It may be hardware specific, with some software, adding to the confusing.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm   

Not sure why zMUD would work and CMUD wouldn't since they use the exact same copy protection software (although CMUD does use a newer version). The LP5 error means that some other software on your computer is preventing the copy protection in CMUD from working. Either the CMUD file is corrupted (virus or other corruption that changed it's checksum value), or your anti-virus or network security software is interfering.

I've never heard of the ESET Security suite, but I would try disabling that.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:21 am   

Ok I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to remove all traces of CMUD. reg setting as well, and disable the antivirus ESET Smart Security, I then tried to re-install CMUD.
During the install process,when CMUD reached this point ...."c:\program\cmud\cmud.exe" /REGSERVER.. The dialog box with "Error while unpacking program contact Author LP5" appeared.
Given that CMUD has a newer copy protection software , than Zmud, I would suggest that that is the problem, only on certain machine, like mine :).
So don't panic I not that fussed, I have ZMUD working just fine ( but for the scripts/triggers/code for my mud).
Just trying to give you tech guys a heads up so the next version of Cmud could look at the c:\program\cmud\cmud.exe" /REGSERVER. part of the install.
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 pm   

The c:\program\cmud\cmud.exe" /REGSERVER part just means that it is trying to run CMUD the first time from the installer to install the COM objects. But it's not even getting to CMUD. The LP5 error means that Windows cannot "unpack" the CMUD.EXE, which basically means it cannot decrypt it. So it has nothing to do with the /REGSERVER part.

The newer copy protection should be better, not worse. I'm worried that you cannot use CMUD since zMUD is not supported or developed anymore. CMUD still works fine on WinXP, so that isn't the problem either. Definitely something else about the software on your computer, but I have no idea at this point.

You can always try contacting the Armadillo copy protection people at www.siliconrealms.com They might be able to get some sort of dump or debug file that might help. Armadillo is used by a lot of software, so it's potentially not going to be just a problem with CMUD.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:37 pm   

I'd bet my last dollar on it being ESET and even though it looked disabled it was probably still doing stuff.

You should have tried CMUD on your fresh install of XP before putting anything else on.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:11 pm   Update to ESET

I reformatted my hard drive and then installed Win XP Pro Sp3.
No ESET or any other software was installed. I then ran CMUD installer.
The LP5 error appeared, during the install. So the LP5 error CAN BE machine specific. ( mine). I am using a HP with a pen 4 intel 2.8 chip with 2gigs of ram, two 40 gig hard-drives. Not flash but good enough for my needs, for Zmud which install again for the fourth time np.
Ps I lost all my script in the crash and rebuild, Hint my Zmud post :)
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:53 pm   

Well I lost so it's a good job I don't have any dollars ;)

That is quite odd that it fails on a completely clean install of XP Pro SP3. To me I think Zugg's suggestion about contacting Silicon Realms with your issue is the only way forward now.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:44 am   

This is a silly thought but, just to be sure, you are re-downloading the CMUD executable each time?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 pm   

I did wonder about asking that but I assume since the computer is being wiped out that it is though it could be on the secondary disk or a flash drive.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 pm   

All you can do now is contact Silicon Realms. Thousands of people are using CMUD on WinXP SP3 without these problems, so it has to be something on your computer.

In fact, just to test I just did a fresh install of WinXP in my VMware Virtual Machine and had no trouble with it. So it's not something specific to SP3. Although in my case I needed to install WinXP SP2 and then run Windows Update to get all of the updates. I don't have any disk with WinXP SP3 on it directly. So I'm assuming you ran all of the Windows updates?

Also, I'm hoping that you really did completely reformat like you suggested? I know that HP machines traditionally come with a lot of other software installed by default, so if you just used the HP recovery disk, then there might still be some other anti-virus or network security software installed.

The way the Armadillo copy protection works is that the CMUD.EXE file is encrypted. A small "loader" program is attached to the EXE. When Windows tries to run the CMUD.EXE, the "loader" runs in memory first and decrypts the CMUD.EXE file as it is loaded into memory. If any of this fails, you get the LP5 error. The most common cause of the LP5 is that some other program prevents the "loader" from running, thinking that it might be a virus attached to the CMUD.EXE file. Or, if there was any sort of disk corruption that changed the CMUD.EXE file, then the decryption will fail with this error (like if CMUD.EXE *was* infected with a virus).

So, unless your actual hard disk is corrupting the data, this can't really be a hardware issue. It is *some* software that is interfering with the process of loading CMUD into memory.

Now, I had one more idea. Later versions of Windows have something called the "DEP" setting (Data Execution Prevention). The idea of DEP is to prevent applications from running "data" as "code". Since the "loader" in Armadillo is considered "data" attached to the CMUD.EXE file, having DEP enabled for all applications can also cause this to fail. I didn't think Windows XP still had DEP, but maybe they added it in SP3? I know that certain manufacturers (HP and Dell specifically) often enable DEP in their OEM distributions of Windows. So check the DEP TroubleShooting Article and see if that applies to your system even though it's XP and not Vista or Windows 7. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Microsoft decided to add DEP support to WinXP via some update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: